News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Tilley

Dooks Golf Club
« on: August 19, 2015, 12:59:52 PM »
Played Dooks a few weeks ago on a family holiday to the Dingle Peninsula in SW Ireland. My numerous loyal fans will know that I also played at Dingle Links and Castlegregory during the trip. I stayed at Inch Beach across the bay from Dooks, albeit a 40 minute drive away - Dooks is on the Ring of Kerry tourist trap.

I'd played Dooks before. However, this was in 1999 and I was very keen to get back as the course had been extensively modified by Martin Hawtree & Co. around 2005-6. I had 4 memories of Dooks, 2 general and 2 specific, and was keen to see how and if these had been affected. My memories were:

General:
-   The course is without a doubt the most scenically beautiful course I’d ever played
-   There was a very pleasant, off the beaten track, natural feel to Dooks. Charming and fun were 2 words that sprung to mind when describing Dooks.
Specific
-   The 13th Green was one of the wildest and most memorable I had ever played.
-   The blind approach to the 18th Green – almost a mini Klondyke

I’ve waited a while to post pictures of Dooks as I had a memorably bad experience and I wanted to try and be objective. You will notice from the photos the regular appearance of ground staff on both fairways and greens. I booked for 7.30 as I was on my own. There was no-one there which was no hardship. However, from the first hole until I skipped the 16th and 17th due to being so annoyed, there were greenstaff on every single hole. Dooks have sent me an apology and “courtesy of the course” next time I visit which is much appreciated but it did sour my experience greatly.

With regard to my memories from before, the scenery is obviously unchanged. I did feel that it had lost some of its charm and natural feel. The greens had been extensively modified and built up and they seemed to have lost the lay of the land appeal. The changes were clearly made to attract more of the tour bus crowd and there were 2 buses there when I left at 10am. At 90 euros it was comfortably more expensive than Dingle or Castlegregory, and much closer in price to the likes of Tralee and Waterville than I remember of old.

With regard to the specifics, someone should be prosecuted for the changes made to the 13th green – more on that later. The “mini Klondyke” had been retained but softened – there was a much bigger dip so that you could basically see the pin from anywhere on the fairway. Both changes made the holes “fairer” but I’ve never seen a description of pre changes Dooks that doesn’t mention 13th green. No-one will remember it now.

I’m being too harsh on Dooks, however, and concentrating on the negatives. It is a good course in amazing scenery.

For a few of the holes below I’ve added some old photos for golfarchitecturepictures.com which were taken before the changes to illustrate the difference.

The first hole is a short par 4 with a reasonably tight drive. The old hole really opened up around the very flat green. The new hole is dramatically tighter and the green now very tricky and attractive.

Old approach

The 2nd is another shortish par 4, uphill to a green with a steep slope in front and to the sides.

2nd tee box

The 3rd is a mid length 4 doglegging to the right up and over a steepish rise. The approach goes downhill to a slightly raised green. Apologies for the slightly blurry photos.

The 4th is a mid length par 3 that is a completely new hole and much improved. Anyone playing the old hole would have looked left from the tee at the dunes and wondered why there wasn’t a hole there. Well, there now is and it is a very nice downhill par 3. One criticism I have of Dooks is the similarity in length of the par 3s. I hit 7 iron on all 4 holes.

Old hole

More to follow shortly

« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 11:48:54 AM by Ed Tilley »

Adam Lawrence

Re: Dooks Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 01:10:27 PM »
The Dooks work was done by (then) Hawtree associate Marc Westonborg.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Keith Phillips

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 01:57:52 PM »
I played Dooks for the first time this past May, and absolutely loved it.  We were first off on a Tuesday morning and I don't recall seeing a single employee of the Green staff anywhere...perhaps they focus the work at specific times, though that does seem unfair to those playing on those days.  I agree wrt the scenery, and thought the value proposition was quite compelling relative to the big names we played on the trip (Waterville, Tralee, Ballybunion, Lahinch)...Dooks was 'as good and far cheaper'...I haven't played Dingle or Castlegregory but will hope to next trip.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 03:27:48 PM »
Ed,

Dooks has long been one of my favorite places in golf. Sad to hear about 13 green.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 02:03:40 PM by Tim_Weiman »
Tim Weiman

Ed Tilley

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 07:04:42 AM »
The 5th hole is a tough par 4 of 438 yards swinging left

It was at this point that I started to think that, while all the greens were individually very nice, they did seem to be in  a very similar style.

The 6th was a short par 5 running in the opposite direction to the 5th – a positive of Dooks is that the holes run in all directions. This is no out and back links.

Inch peninsula from the 6th tee

Plenty of trouble off the tee. The changes have definitely tightened up the course.

Anyone for another raised green with fall offs?

The 7th was a brute. 452 yards slightly uphill with plenty of trouble around.

The bunker to the front right of the flag conceals a steepish fall off to the right – as I discovered.

The 8th was a nice par 3, albeit very similar in length, feel, elevation and direction to the 4th. From the white tees the par 3s measure 167, 170, 167, and 156 (uphill) yards.

9 and 10 are back to back par 5s running in opposite directions. 9 measures 493 yards winding right towards the shore. I almost managed to kill one of the greenstaff on this hole – my pull thin rescue club unerringly tracking his tractor from 150 yards and smashing into the windshield – 1 foot left and he was in trouble. At least he was kind enough to deflect my ball in to the middle of the fairway.

10 is a superb hole running along the shoreline- 493 yards with the green atop a sharp rise. It is difficult not to feel glad to be alive walking up this fairway – even with the constant drone of mowers in your ear! I don’t think this hole was changed at all.

11 was another hole that didn’t appear to be changed much. 167 yards uphill over the corner of a field.

More to follow

Ed Tilley

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 09:42:40 AM »
12 is a 354 yard par 4 turning left and uphill to a green protected by a nasty bunker front right

I was looking forward to seeing the 13th again due to the fantastic old green. However, what I discovered was very dispiriting to say the least! What is there now is probably the flattest, least interesting green on the course – other than the obligatory raised front. I know the old green was a bit unfair but so are a number of the most memorable features on great old links. Since when did fairness become such a requirement in golf. It’s not as if Dooks is going to hold any significant tournaments so who were the changes for?

Here’s the old hole. I’d be interested to hear what others thought about these changes?

Ed Tilley

Re: Dooks Golf Club pictures for 1-13 added
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 08:38:38 AM »
14 is a 392 yard par 4 downhill and doglegging slightly to the right.

15 is a very nice short par 4 doglegging right up and over a ridge.

It was at this point I finally cracked as the 16th tee and 18th tee are right by each other. Looking up the 16th (352 yards) and back down the 17th (392 yards) I could see 4 different tractors with greenstaff and just couldn’t face it and moved straight to the 18th tee.

18 is a stout finish at 418 yards. The old “Klondyke” mound in front of the green had been much softened. However, I believe the green was actually closer to the mound now and very tight whereas the old green was a bit further back and open. I played this into the wind and after a decent drive had a 5 iron in. I thought the green site was a bit severe for that length of shot.

Old approach and green

All in all I’m unsure about the changes at Dooks. On the whole, I think they have been positive and well done – there are a number of holes that are significantly improved (1, 4, 15). However, I can’t help but think that the unusual and “unfair” features on 13 and 18 should have been better retained. These were stand out moments on the course which are no more. The price has also gone up to a level much closer to the “big boys” – I could have played Waterville for 30 euros more than Dooks. The course is undoubtedly a good one, and the setting is as good as it gets, as well as being a nice easy walk compared to the likes of Tralee and Ballybunion. I would very much recommend a visit.

Jason Topp

Re: Dooks Golf Club all pictures added
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 08:46:12 AM »
Thanks Ed.  I hate to see some of the charm eliminated but I am pleased to see they kept the par 3 over the corner of the field. 

I remember the gorse (or something similar) encroaching pretty tightly on the back nine.  Is it wider now?

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 09:27:13 AM »
Thanks for sharing Ed. This photo-tour and the two other tours from the same area that you've recently posted have got me pondering a future expedition to SW Ireland.
Atb

Ed Tilley

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 09:28:32 AM »
Jason,

I thought the course was very fair with regards to width. There were a few tight holes (15 was probably the tightest but it is a short 4) but nothing extreme.

Ed

Doug Wright

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 12:39:47 PM »
Great photo tour of Dooks Ed! Like Tim Weiman, I have been a big fan of Dooks since I played it in 1994 (my only visit). In particular, the quirky features you mention, the unbelievable, unique 13th green and the Alps-like bulwark fronting  #18, were memorable and added much to my enjoyment of a round there. I'm sorry to hear of the dumb[ing down] changes to these two features. Why? Why? Why? Still a fine course in a beautiful setting.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 07:28:01 PM »
I would always recommend that Dooks be on the agenda for any trip in the Killarney area. We would always play it first, to ease the newbies into links golf. Sad to hear about the changes to 13 and 18. Very eclectic and cool.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 02:50:02 AM »
Is it the camera angle, or did they change the shape of the rear mounds on 13.  I have not converted my  photos to digital from 2001, but I  could swear the mounds mimicked the mountain in the background.  In addition to the cool factor of the slopes on the green,  I thought the mound g was a brilliant touch that made the hole world class!

Ed Tilley

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 07:46:26 AM »
Is it the camera angle, or did they change the shape of the rear mounds on 13.  I have not converted my  photos to digital from 2001, but I  could swear the mounds mimicked the mountain in the background.  In addition to the cool factor of the slopes on the green,  I thought the mound g was a brilliant touch that made the hole world class!

Here's the old hole from about halfway I think:

[/URL]

Compared to the new hole from the tee:

Looks like they've really built up the mounding at the back of the hole - or more likely flattened the green in front. The old hole looks so clearly better that it's a wonder they changed it.

Sean Walsh

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 11:41:40 PM »
If the 13th has been neutered as much as those photos indicate it is indeed a shame. Dooks was a very pleasant experience and a good links course in a wonderful location. The 13th was the memorable moment in the middle of the round. Something unique, that I would've thought such a course should be seeking to maintain and trade off.

To me this would be like Tain bulldozing The Alps. Could you build a better golf hole? Yes. Could you build a more fun golf hole at that location, probably not.

Also what was "unfair" about it?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 12:43:55 AM »
I have enjoyed the photos and comments.  I am pretty sure Dooks will be on my itinerary as I make my way around that west coast area of Ireland in about 5 weeks.

Question for those who are familiar with procedures over there... Can a person like myself schedule a round at a place like Dooks if traveling alone with no particular schedule and flexibility to play one day or another? 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mark Pavy

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 01:01:50 AM »
Dick, I don't see an issue for any of the Co. Kerry courses. You may find yourself going past Dooks a couple of times, I'd pop into the pro-shop, introduce yourself and ask the Pro when you could play. You might be able to walk straight on, come back the next day at X time etc. They are all in the business of putting golfers on the course.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 02:21:36 AM »
Thanks Mark. I'm reviewing your Ballybunion video as I reply to you....  ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mark Pavy

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 03:04:47 AM »
Dick, I'll be interested to hear what you experience after having viewed some of the courses (in 2D/3D) then played them. I'll endeavour to get the 3D versions on my website up to date with the 2D versions on YouTube and I'll try and get Waterville completed prior to your trip, that'll give you Ballybunion, Tralee, Dooks, Waterville from Co.Kerry, don't know if you plan on getting down to Cork, but Fota Island, Castlemartyr and Old Head are also on the website and youtube. Even if you don't play Old Head, it's well worth visiting.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 06:15:44 AM »
I have enjoyed the photos and comments.  I am pretty sure Dooks will be on my itinerary as I make my way around that west coast area of Ireland in about 5 weeks.

Question for those who are familiar with procedures over there... Can a person like myself schedule a round at a place like Dooks if traveling alone with no particular schedule and flexibility to play one day or another?

Dick,

If you go on the Dooks website and go to "Visitors" and then "Book a Tee Time" you can see when the tee is booked / free for the next few months (Dingle had the same system). That will give you an indication of which days are going to be busy - early and late are normally free. I used this in conjunction with the weather forecast to decide at the last minute which 2 days to play on my week family holiday.

If you are playing early I would recommend giving the pro shop a ring to check on whether the ground staff are out in force that day as, if they are, it will not be as enjoyable.

Ed

Thomas Dai

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 07:05:18 AM »
I found on the web the other day something called the Shamrock Golf Pass that allows a round at each of Dooks, Ceann Sibeal (Dingle) and Mahoney's Point course at Killarney.
Atb

Thomas Dai

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2016, 07:03:41 AM »
Some friends and I had a thoroughly enjoyable visit to Dooks recently and this photo-tour by Ed was a factor in prompting the visit.

Here are just a few photos which hopefully enhance those already posted.

This photograph is taken from the left side of the new 13th green (the tee shots are played in from the right), a green which has caused comment above. I never played the previous green so can't comment on it but the new one has a really evil/wonderful spine running down the centre.

The 16th hole doglegging left-to-right to a raised green on the hillside. Nice houses.

The 17th hole photographed from behind the green.

The 18th green

I liked Dooks very much. Scenic, obviously, fine conditioning, and of an appropriate length and level of difficulty to be thought provoking course management and shot execution wise, especially into and around the small raised greens, which as Ed points out, there are a lot of. Indeed I was told that most of the greens have been altered over the last few years with the exception of the terrific 10th hole.

One last photo, a general scene taken from atop a dune near the 18th green.

Dooks is a course I could certainly play a lot. Go play it if you have the chance. I doubt you'll be disappointed, more likely, like me, you'll have played somewhere you immediately want to revisit.

atb

Ed Tilley

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2016, 03:43:53 AM »
The issue is not that the new 13th green is bad, it is that the old one was amazing and very memorable. Everyone who played the old Dooks would have remembered the 13th green. It was a stand out, not just at Dooks, but in all Ireland. The new one in no way compares which is sad.

Where else did you play?

Jim Hoak

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2016, 10:13:07 AM »
Dooks is the most pleasantly surprising golf course I have ever played.  Only played it once--and never saw the pre-renovation course.  But we stumbled on it, played it, and loved it.  Felt like we had found a hidden gem.  Highly recommend  it.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2016, 10:29:19 AM »
I also agree that Dooks was a wonderful round of golf.  And as Thomas mentions, since I had no frame of reference of what the 13th was pre renovation, I could only enjoy what was there and take Ed's word for it that the original must have been a beauty.  I also was lucky enough to have a spectacular day with sun playing with clouds and a spectacular fall day.  I was paired up  with a woman who was a public attorney in Toronto and her retired Canadian Forces boyfriend.  We shared a spirited conversation at the 19th hole and agreed how much we enjoyed the round there.  I observed that I could see how Dooks was remodeled into a more modern style due to the earth shaping around greens etc.  They were not into architecture, just enjoyed the results.  I mentioned to them that I was headed to Ceann Sybil (Dingle) in a few days and heard it was even more pure.  We made no plans to meet there, and they were tramping around day to day with no specific itinerary.  But as I arrived at Dingle, there they were already playing one of the holes next to the entry road.  We caught up in the clubhouse after rounds, and they agreed that Dingle seemed more natural. 

I think Dooks probably did the right thing to remodel and as Ed speaks of the intense grounds maintenance regimen to an upgrade to more modern aesthetic given the location on the heavy tourist track of Ring of Kerry.  Like Waterville, it commands a more pricey green fee.  But, they are not extravagant and I think they have it just right.  I'd play it again in a heartbeat. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back