News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Justin Draycott

Bellport Country Club designed by Seth Raynor
« on: August 06, 2015, 08:06:33 PM »
I had the pleasure of playing Bellport Country Club yesterday. Does anyone have any info on this course? Some of the holes were old fashioned. The par 3's were great. The routing seemed a bit off... it must have been changed.

The 15th hole going towards the bay was great.

Thanks
Justin

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Nate Oxman

Re: Bellport Country Club designed by Seth Raynor
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 02:38:44 PM »
After hoofing it at Bethpage Black on Thursday, I shot out to Bellport CC. I had just enough time to play the back nine and walk the front. I was pretty disappointed to see very little Raynor left, at least to my eye, especially in the bunkering. #15 was a pretty hole that played out toward the bay and the hazards surrounding the 17th green (punchbowl?) were pretty cool, but, wow, I just looked at what the 17th once was on historicaerials.com and the bunkering was much more dramatic. Bummer! Other than that, there were a couple par 3s (#10, #12)  that were decent. I wouldn't call any of them "great," as Justin did. I will agree with him about the routing. You have to backtrack from green to tee several times. Plus, there are eight par 4s and 1 par 3 on the front and 3 3s and 3 5s on the back!

I haven't had time to research the work done by RTJ and Bill Love, but looking at historicaerials.com, the bunkering has changed significantly, which is a shame. Insert those Raynor bunkers back in there and Bellport would be a pleasure.

I apologize about the phone photos. I was in a rush!

The 15th, which based on previous posts, might be an RTJ hole. I can't tell from the old aerial.

The par-4 17th, which plays over a pretty cool hazard:

Over that hazard are two narrow bunkers, but it looks like back in the day they were much wider and wrapped around the entire green.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 06:07:18 PM »
On a separate note, that was a hell of an effort to tie Bellport in at the end of BB :)
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Chris DeToro

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 08:43:21 PM »
Actually went to a wedding at Bellport last weekend but didn't have a chance to play the course.  It looked pretty solid.  Did it play fast? 

Nate Oxman

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 11:09:02 AM »
Green speeds were good. I wouldn't say it played fast, although green speeds were decent. It seemed like it was conditioned to suit its membership. If the Raynor stuff was reinserted, it would be pretty good.

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 01:06:04 PM »
Green speeds were good. I wouldn't say it played fast, although green speeds were decent. It seemed like it was conditioned to suit its membership. If the Raynor stuff was reinserted, it would be pretty good.

Nate-Can you clarify what you mean by "like it was conditioned to suit it's membership". How else would it be "conditioned"?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 01:07:49 PM by Tim Martin »

Nate Oxman

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 03:22:49 PM »
I'm just going by those I saw on the course, but it seemed like a club with an older membership and thus the course wasn't as firm and fast as it could have been. I could be totally wrong, but just my assumption.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back