News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Chilver-Stainer

Putting from off the green.
« on: July 21, 2015, 03:37:45 AM »
Who found the putting from off the green at the Open tantalising?

More than a few times, players were faced with a shot 20 to 30 yards from the green, to a a pin with not much room behind or a strong fall off, which made putting the preference.

Seeing the ball snake across the TV screen was great viewing, compared to a an aerial pitch, which to the viewer is meaningless in the air, and only of interest once it lands and rolls out.

Niall C

Re: Putting from off the green.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 08:38:20 AM »
John

I'm not sure watching a pitch on tv is meaningless. I mean, the way they zoomed in on a few of those long putts, there was no way to tell whether the ball was taking a borrow, or was going to be long or short, at least not until the hole came into view. Sometimes I think camera technology has gotten too good and TV producers are too tempted to use it when an old fashioned wide angle shot would be much better.

Niall

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 09:24:01 AM »
I must have been watching a different tournament. I saw plenty of wedges from off the green and relatively few putts. That being said, Jason Day's 2-putt from off the 17th green yesterday was impressive.

I don't remember anyone playing a run-up shot or putting thru the Valley of Sin on #18. I thought Oosthuizen might play a run-up in the playoff, but he went with a wedge as well. 

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 11:58:35 AM »
DT

I suspect John was thinking of the putts from just off the green rather than from 15/20 yards off. There was certainly plenty of them.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back