News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Josh Stevens

Re: Pine Valley - A Retro Photo Tour
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2015, 03:10:50 AM »
How has  the 8th hole changed.  That green looks impossible

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2015, 05:49:47 AM »
Along with the one I already noted as mislabeled, looking back over these I think that the Golf Illustrated ones below were mislabeled back in their day too. Firstly the 3rd and 10th are par 3s so the yardages they quoted are off. I think they reversed the hole numbers. It's hard to tell for sure as the pictures are grainy.

I believe this is actually the 10th taken right of the tees. The bunker in front right looks like the DA while the large mounding to the left does not look like anything on 3 and is most likely 18 tee (which is to the left of 10)

This is the 3rd. You can almost make out 6 fairway on the horizon on the top of the trees and you can see Dormy House in the top right corner.

As for the comment on 8 - I never noticed it before but it looks like maybe it collapsed or part was removed. Assuming the walk on stayed in the same spot the right edge gets closer to it. The green in the earlier photos looks a lot larger than it is today - but it's hard to tell for sure considering the picture quality and lack of trees.
Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2015, 01:46:08 PM »

Great photos although I think some may be mislabeled.

Pat:

Which ones do you think are mislabeled?

Sven,

Sorry, I missed this reply.

15/6 and 3/10 have been mislabeled as Alan has indicated.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2015, 05:03:27 PM »
Wow! Imagine playing the course[size=78%] as it was in these photos with modern clubs and balls and then further imagine playing it with the hickory shafted clubs and yee olde golf balls used back the 1920's-1930's. That must have been one severe challenge.[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Atb[/size]

Mike Bowen

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 04:02:45 PM »
Was Pine Valley considered one of the best in the world in the 30's and 40's or did that designation come later?  I think both magazines have it top two or three and have had it there for a bunch of years.

If that is the case, it amazes me what was considered visually acceptable back then.

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2015, 06:23:22 PM »
Speaking of the 18th green, how deadly is the coffin bunker to the left?

I've only been to PV for the Crump and my memory might be exaggerating, but that bunker seemed almost too deep and narrow for even making a full backswing.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2015, 06:58:49 PM »
Mark,

There are a good number of narrow, trench like bunkers throughout the course that make extrication very difficult.

Mike,

What do you find "visually unacceptable" ?

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2015, 10:57:13 PM »
Was Pine Valley considered one of the best in the world in the 30's and 40's or did that designation come later?  I think both magazines have it top two or three and have had it there for a bunch of years.

If that is the case, it amazes me what was considered visually acceptable back then.

Pine Valley was considered a top golf course almost immediately.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

archie_struthers

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2015, 08:00:28 AM »
 8) ;)

Mark,  the bunkers on 18 left , while difficult , are typically manageable .  However the bunkers to the right can often lead to an impossible shot. 

The left bunker on ten is really scary, often leads to a sideways chip or explosion just to get a shot .  It has ruined more rounds than the DA!

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2015, 02:37:03 PM »
Updated with a number of photos from Golf Architecture in America.

Not sure if I understand the comments regarding the look of the course back then.  This was a brand new course built on very rugged terrain.  If anything, I think the look in the teens and 20's probably mirrored the general feel of the New Jersey Pine Barrens better than the course does now.  Many of these photos were taken prior to the desired grow in of both the course itself and the surrounds. 
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

MCirba

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2015, 04:31:40 PM »
Seeing the raw, rough conditions during some of the construction and grow-in photos  it's especially poignant and saddening to consider that his problems growing grass likely contributed greatly to his untimely demise.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2015, 06:45:03 PM »
Interesting enough, Golf Illustrated printed a followup regarding the mistakes in the Aug. 1926 photos included in this thread.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2015, 02:03:39 AM »
Sven, terrific collation of images, really appreciate the time and effort you put in to show them for us.

The tee shot carry on 5 must have been one of the most daunting in the world at the time, and followed up later by CPC 16, I just can't imagine stepping up with a hickory in hand - golfers were a much tougher breed back then I am sure. Would the equivalent hole with today's equip be in the range of 275 yards?
Imagine the commentary activity if that were built today...

Thanks Sven
@theflatsticker

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2015, 02:31:01 AM »

It's pretty amazing how they were able to build number 14 so low in the water in those days. Isn't Hugh Wilson credited with that one — among others?

Also, I really love that shot of the Tillinghasts on number 2.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2015, 07:32:57 AM »
Ivan,

I think it shows how spoiled golfers have become.

Imagine playing Pine Valley with equipment circa 1918.

That would be a daunting, if not an overwhelming challenge

Isn't it still an overwhelming, daunting challenge?  :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back