News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Nuzzo

Mike Strantz Memorial
« on: June 24, 2015, 09:50:47 PM »

I have never been to Tot Hill Farm.
I hope to play there one day and many attend the following event in Mike's honor:

"Tot Hill Farm is gearing up for Mike's memorial tournament in Asheboro, NC.  We'd love for you to come.  It's a 3-some on Saturday, August 15.  The proceeds are all donated to cancer research at MUSC's Hollings Cancer Center.  The Mike Strantz Endowment will build a new cancer research lab at Hollings."
[size=78%][/size]To register, please visit [size=78%][/size][size=78%]www.TotHillFarm.com[/size] [size=78%][/size]
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jim Franklin

Re: Mike Strantz Memorial
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 10:23:25 AM »
Mike -

Thanks for posting this. I would love to attend but have a previous engagement that day. Maybe in future years. I enjoyed Mike's work and even had a lot of fun at Tot Hill one day. He certainly left us far too soon. RIP.
Mr Hurricane

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 10:27:35 AM »
Mike--

Tot Hill Farm is a trip and a treat. It blurs the line between sculpture and golf course more than any course I've seen. There are so many features that boring-golf lovers would call "unfair" or "stupid" there, that it deserves to be preserved for future generations. Certain things there have been softened over the years, I believe, due to budget strains, but hopefully the future is kind to Tot Hill Farm.

It's interesting that an event benefiting MUSC, in Charleston, is not being staged at any of the three Strantz courses (Caledonia, True Blue, Bulls Bay) in SC.

Perhaps even more so than Tobacco Road, Tot Hill Farm is the ur-match play course. Given what I have heard about that being the guiding ethos of Wolf Point, I think you would appreciate that aspect of the place particularly. If you do attend, I for one will be very eager to hear your thoughts on the place.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 11:15:18 AM »
Tot Hill Farm, even more than Tobacco Road, suggests that we will never know what Mike Strantz was fully capable of.

WW

Steve Lang

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 09:38:44 PM »
 8)  Mike you should go and play Tot Hill, its very interesting, i prefer Tobacco Road but TH was fun, there were some quirky holes with stone outcrops as I remember from 36 one spring day many moons ago... 

I got notice of this event too, must have e down from buying a print..
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 02:27:13 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 10:55:44 PM »
I've played all his courses except Bulls Bay.  He was a rare talent and I think of the courses we are missing because of his premature death. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Kris Spence

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 05:14:45 PM »
Mike, I have a lake house not far from Tot Hill 30 mins or so, you can stay there.  I will join you for golf if you want.  Perry Payne who was super at Tobacco Road during construction and first 17 years works for me, I will ask him to join us.  He has many great stories of working with Mike.  Let me know if this is something you are interested in.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 10:30:32 PM »
I played it back in early November on my way back to Cincy from Pinehurst. I took pics of all of the holes, with maybe the exception of 18. I did not enjoy it more than Tobacco Road. It was interesting to say the least!
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 09:19:54 AM »
I will be playing in the tournament for the first time with my brother and his business partner; I'm really looking forward to it. 

I would also urge each of you to consider buying a print of Mike's hole drawings; it is terrific golf art and supports worthy causes as well.  Great gift items.

http://www.mikestrantzdesign.com/golfgallery.html
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back