News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: Is Chambers Bay everything that's wrong with golf?
« Reply #150 on: June 22, 2015, 02:54:06 PM »
Jim, you sound like a moron. The non-playing yardage is not longer than the playing yardage. Not even close. Not even within a couple miles.

You can call the USGA morons,  they reported it as such, along with a few other sources. 

p.s. If youcall me a moron again pardner, you better be using green ink.

Jim,

There is a bit of difference between the 10 mile figure you have been using and the figure you say the USGA reported. It would be nice if you would acknowledge that. I would also like to see the source of your information from the USGA, but understand if it is not readily available.

Clearly the USGA modified the route around the course with accommodations for spectators, and the tour players have to walk longer to get back to the back tees, and then walk the return which doubles that excess, but in no way should anyone be taking the ten mile figure as accurate unless they think rounding five and above up to ten is appropriate.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jason Thurman

« Reply #151 on: June 22, 2015, 03:05:31 PM »
Jim, to be clear, I'm not calling you a moron. I'm trying to save you from looking like one by encouraging you to think just a bit about what you're reporting and whether it jibes with what you saw on television this week, what others with firsthand course experience have unanimously reported, what you can discern from satellite images, and what the bounds of logic governing the world have taught you.

When you boil it down, you're saying that the USGA told you that the average transition from green to tee at Chambers Bay is 540 yards. I believe you're too smart to believe that such a measurement is remotely accurate. I have no doubt that someone played Chambers while wearing a pedometer and took over 20,000 steps. I suspect I would come close. But it's not because the course is designed as a 10-mile walk. A huge number of those steps come from things that have nothing to do with the architect. Nonetheless, that anecdote always eventually gets turned into Greg Norman saying "This course is an 11 mile walk if you just go straight down the center of fairways without playing!" and a bunch of guys on the internet taking his word for it.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #153 on: June 22, 2015, 03:45:45 PM »

From the architect:
http://www.npr.org/2015/06/20/416033803/a-sea-change-at-chambers-bay-where-u-s-open-meets-u-k-aesthetics

Article cites it as a 7.5 mile walk.

From a caddy:

http://www.sportingnews.com/sport/story/2015-06-17/us-open-golf-tournament-chambers-bay-grand-slam-links-course-robert-trent-jones

7.5 again.

From Snedeker:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-us-open-dwyre-20150618-column.html

7.5 again. Snedeker’s practice round was around 10 according to the article. Practice rounds feature lots of walking that isn’t mandated by the architecture.

From Stenson:http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/golf/chambers-bay-a-course-with-a-real-attitude/2015/06/18/50c6ab34-1602-11e5-9518-f9e0a8959f32_story.html

… a man from a country that uses the metric system.
From Golfweek:
 http://golfweek.com/news/2015/jun/17/us-open-2015-golf-chambers-bay-yardage-fee-facts/

7.5 again. Now I’m actually starting to think you’re a moron.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #154 on: June 22, 2015, 03:51:04 PM »
7.5 again. Now I’m actually starting to think you’re a moron.

Lighten up Jason,

Greg Norman is the moron. ;D

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #155 on: June 22, 2015, 04:20:30 PM »
You travel that distance three times walking the full 18 holes," Jones says. "This is a hard walk: 7 1/2 miles minimum, probably more like 10 — and changing elevations. You'll sleep well after you play here!"

Even at 7.5 miles an average player using the 6,600 yard tees will 'play' an additional 6,600 yards without hitting a shot.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 04:32:28 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Craig Sweet

« Reply #156 on: June 22, 2015, 04:31:00 PM »
Who really gives a rats ass how long a walk it is?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #157 on: June 22, 2015, 05:28:30 PM »
Who really gives a rats ass how long a walk it is?

The good citizens of Pierce County who have to foot the bill, because Greg Norman is willing to quote nonsense numbers that discourage play at the course.

Sitting in the grill room at my club there are people saying they won't travel 2 1/2 hours to play the course because it is a 10 mile walk. I have to point out to them that the course is no different than any other course as the green to tee transitions are comparable to any of these modern five or six sets of tees course. Furthermore, I point out to them that I have walked and played 36 holes in a day there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back