News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

Re: Chambers Bay conditions update
« Reply #200 on: June 19, 2015, 10:48:16 AM »
Goofy???

What is "goofy" about Chambers Bay?

Are fairway bunkers that are ACTUALLY FAIRWAY BUNKERS goofy because they are not separated from the fairway by hundreds of feet of rough?

Are sloped fairways that reward players who hit the correct side goofy because if you do not, you may end up in rough or severe side slope?

Are bunkers that are ACTUAL HAZARDS goofy because pros can't just stick it next to the pin like they do week in and week out?

Are greenside slopes that punishes you for being above the hole while providing multiple options to get to the pin goofy?

Is a punchbowl green that acts like a punchbowl green should, funneling balls on the edge to funnel back to the middle while punishing improperly weighted balls with difficult chips above the green goofy?

Is it goofy to punish players who have to putt from above the hole?

The Chambers Bay has fulfilled practically every gripe that GCA has had over the year about tournament golf conditions. If that is goofy, call me a goofy-lover.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #201 on: June 19, 2015, 10:49:52 AM »
My point (again, purely personal opinion) is that this course, while visually stunning, is goofy ...

Pat Mucci wants to know if you have played the course.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Keith Grande

« Reply #202 on: June 19, 2015, 10:50:32 AM »
Snedeker tracked his mileage with a pedometer, at 10 miles

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #203 on: June 19, 2015, 10:53:40 AM »
Richard,

Please take some comfort that this will be a rare case where hosting a US Open resulted in lower green fees.  Or at worst, an empty course for you and your friends.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #204 on: June 19, 2015, 11:10:37 AM »
I wish I would have written down what Tim Rosaforte said this morning, relaying what Ernie Els told him about the greens.  Wow, it was not glowing.  Not even close.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

BHoover

« Reply #205 on: June 19, 2015, 11:14:18 AM »
I wish I would have written down what Tim Rosaforte said this morning, relaying what Ernie Els told him about the greens.  Wow, it was not glowing.  Not even close.

On GC, Rosaforte said Ernie Els called the greens the worst he has putted on in his career and are more akin to temporary greens.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #206 on: June 19, 2015, 11:36:05 AM »
Chamblee was just on with Dan Patrick.  He said the condition of the greens are as bad as TW's current game.  Ouch.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Josh Tarble

« Reply #207 on: June 19, 2015, 11:45:14 AM »

Andrew Buck

« Reply #208 on: June 19, 2015, 11:50:35 AM »
From Geoff Ogilvy:

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/chambers-bay-greens-perfectly-fine-says-ogilvy-051859387--golf.html

Will, thanks for posting this...Ogilvy says it perfectly again.

While I like Geoff, and appreciate his sentiment, I'm not sure why someone like Ernie would call them the worst in his 25 year career if they are not among the worst. 

Richard Choi

« Reply #209 on: June 19, 2015, 11:51:55 AM »
Just go look at Tiger's putt on the 18th at Torrey Pines. The ball was hoping like mad in slow mo.

None of the slow mo I saw yesterday looked as bad as that.

RKoehn

« Reply #210 on: June 19, 2015, 11:53:43 AM »
The USGA has essentially had control of the course for 5+ years (since prior to the Amateur), and if they could not get the surfaces up to "code" then over that time frame it could have easily recommended (or required, in true USGA fashion) a transition to pure Poa greens.  Pure Poa putts terrifically well when maintained properly (see Pine Valley or Winged Foot).  Obviously they thought it was better to leave it as a tee to green fescue course, which is their prerogative.

It's surprising, but in some ways it will add to the excitement of the tournament, as the short ones will be even more stressful than usual.

It is what it is at this point.  Should be a fun tournament to watch this weekend regardless.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 12:03:33 PM by RKoehn »

Mark Woodger

« Reply #211 on: June 19, 2015, 11:55:58 AM »
http://uk.businessinsider.com/darren-clarke-perfect-putt-at-the-us-open-missed-2015-6

this is not so perfect and whilst i am one for accepting a bounce or what bad bit of luck i think that would send me over the edge.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 12:01:22 PM by MarkW0dger »

BHoover

« Reply #212 on: June 19, 2015, 12:12:09 PM »
Fair or not (I'd say not because I love what I'm seeing), I don't see any chance of Chambers Bay getting another event after this Open. It's getting skewered by the public, the media and the players.

Sean Leary

« Reply #213 on: June 19, 2015, 12:13:42 PM »
How greens look matter to these guys, as well as for most people who care about their score.  If they look bad it will have an affect on people's putting. Maybe it shouldn't but it does.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #214 on: June 19, 2015, 12:24:52 PM »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #215 on: June 19, 2015, 12:29:15 PM »
These are the best players in the world and day in and day out they play the best courses in the world.  Those courses which are mainly private are often the best conditioned.

So now you have the US Open on a public course and the greens are not up to snuff.  Sure it's disappointing but deal with it.  Tom Watson use to say that when the weather was bad at The Open Championship he had 80% of the field beat because they complained.

Daryl David

« Reply #216 on: June 19, 2015, 01:08:36 PM »
Wonder if plans are being drawn up right now to convert Erin Hills greens to bent.  ;D

Mike Hendren

« Reply #217 on: June 19, 2015, 01:33:53 PM »
First Norman and Sergio.  Now Chamblee and Rosaforte.  Citing res ipsa loquitur once again, I suspect Shelly and Shivas would both motion for summary judgement.

This is the most compelling U. S. Open I've watched on television. 

The sense of entitlement reflected in the comments of the professionals is dog bites man stuff. 

There is only one moment of truth in the game of golf:  it's when the clubface strikes the ball.  Everything else is a tale told by an idiot as explained by Bill Shakespeare.  And we have no shortage of idiots.

Bogey

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Howard Riefs

« Reply #218 on: June 19, 2015, 01:36:37 PM »
Wonder if plans are being drawn up right now to convert Erin Hills greens to bent.  ;D

They already are. A-4.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Michael George

« Reply #219 on: June 19, 2015, 01:37:04 PM »
I hope that Chambers Bay will host future US Opens. 

The bones/challenge/views of the course are showing themselves very well.  I think prime time coverage is great for the ratings and will result in larger television dollars.  Can only host so many in LA and San Fran.

I think the only criticism is the conditioning of the greens.  For those that are defending the greens, be proud of everything else that Chambers Bay is showcasing.  But it is stupid to argue that the greens are good.  They don't need to be perfect, but these are as bad as I have seen.  Shame, because I think it is otherwise a wonderful course to watch the Open. 

I think you will see another Open at Chambers Bay in the next 15 years.  If chosen for 2028, I would hope that they can have the grass on the greens fixed by then.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 01:39:16 PM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

BHoover

« Reply #220 on: June 19, 2015, 01:42:25 PM »
I hope you're right, Michael, because the course seems to be fantastic tee to green, and the opportunity to watch primetime golf is great.

But I think the USGA is likely to throw CB under the proverbial bus and move on, even if they are partly responsible for the appearance and condition of the greens (and for the record, I have no problem with the greens). I just can't see a return to CB for the foreseeable future, but I hope I'm wrong.

Michael George

« Reply #221 on: June 19, 2015, 01:49:46 PM »

I am sure the USGA is making a lot of money on this open with primetime tv and no limits on size of crowds and hospitality. 
The more money that the USGA makes, the less likely that they will walk from the location.

The USGA makes more money at Pinehurst than any other location.  While very deserving, that is a major factor in its frequency in the rotation.

Plus, I understand that the USGA invested a lot of money into Chambers Bay.  Harder for them to walk from that investment.

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Matthew Sander

« Reply #222 on: June 19, 2015, 02:03:55 PM »
Just go look at Tiger's putt on the 18th at Torrey Pines. The ball was hoping like mad in slow mo.

None of the slow mo I saw yesterday looked as bad as that.

Richard,

I admire your passion for CB, I really do. I love the course and can't wait for another chance to play it.

BUT, the amount of bobble on these putts as they slow at the hole is astonishing. Quite frankly, smoothness of greens really doesn't matter that much to me personally, but the media, the players, the public, and golfers as a group are going to skewer these greens.

It doesn't detract at all from my enjoyment of the championship, nor does it lessen the likelihood that I will return.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #223 on: June 19, 2015, 02:06:27 PM »
These are the best players in the world and day in and day out they play the best courses in the world.  Those courses which are mainly private are often the best conditioned.

So now you have the US Open on a public course and the greens are not up to snuff.  Sure it's disappointing but deal with it.  Tom Watson use to say that when the weather was bad at The Open Championship he had 80% of the field beat because they complained.

It may be a public course, but it had a $20 million price tag, was designed for a major championship, charges $300 a round and likely has a maintenance budget equal or greater to many top private clubs.  I don't think making this a private/public issue is really accurate.

RKoehn

« Reply #224 on: June 19, 2015, 02:07:05 PM »
First Norman and Sergio.  Now Chamblee and Rosaforte.  Citing res ipsa loquitur once again, I suspect Shelly and Shivas would both motion for summary judgement.

This is the most compelling U. S. Open I've watched on television. 

The sense of entitlement reflected in the comments of the professionals is dog bites man stuff. 

There is only one moment of truth in the game of golf:  it's when the clubface strikes the ball.  Everything else is a tale told by an idiot as explained by Bill Shakespeare.  And we have no shortage of idiots.

Bogey

One would think that someone pretentious enough to reference a Latin legal term, and then proceed to call well-established golf ambassadors "idiots" would know how to spell "judgment."

On second thought, after reading your post, the Latin phrase for "it speaks for itself" may be appropriate after all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back