News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil McDade

Re: Chambers Bay conditions update
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 09:17:09 AM »
What we're seeing in the run-up to Chambers Bay is the ascendance of the US Open into its highest form. This year the US Open will be all about Mike Davis, all the time. He has the perfect blank slate to make every hole, every round, ever hour of TV coverage about "What is Mike Davis going to do to these guys today?".

Enjoy this year's event. We may be witnessing peak Mike Davis.

Brent:

You'll see it again in 2017 at Erin Hills.

David Davis

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2015, 09:17:28 AM »
What we're seeing in the run-up to Chambers Bay is the ascendance of the US Open into its highest form. This year the US Open will be all about Mike Davis, all the time. He has the perfect blank slate to make every hole, every round, ever hour of TV coverage about "What is Mike Davis going to do to these guys today?".

Enjoy this year's event. We may be witnessing peak Mike Davis.

For the record, I'm not related to him. But if I were, I'd have a chat with the man upstairs and ask him to turn on the fans in hopes of repeating what we saw at the Irish Open.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Brent Hutto

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2015, 09:23:07 AM »
David,

If the wind does blow, then Mike Davis will somehow get credit for it.

If the wind doesn't blow and he manages to contrive an over-par winning score he'll get credit for figuring how to make a "links" course play impossibly tough without needing wind.

It's win-win for Mike Davis, whether wind or no-wind.

P.S. Why do I suddenly feel the urge to go out and lay some asphalt today?

William_G

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2015, 09:42:27 AM »
Yawn.

Agreed. Should've gone to Cog Hill (Dubstep). Everyone knows Rees is the more talented brother. Plus we all know it's not a U.S. Open without a 50% chance of thunderstorms the entire week.

LOL

the weather has been phenomenal in the PNW and the forecast looks perfect

everyone will want to move to Seattle after watching the vistas for a week on TV

the golf balls will be bouncing and rolling and shots will be hit off of tight lies  8)

will the US Open come back to Chambers Bay??
It's all about the golf!

Richard Choi

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2015, 09:43:36 AM »
The wind will be typical 5 to 10 mph, and mostly in the afternoon.  It won't affect putting in any way.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 01:24:43 PM by Richard Choi »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2015, 01:02:54 PM »
The wind will be typical 5 to 10 mph, and mostly in the afternoon.  It won't effect putting in any way.

5-10 mph! That's a wee breeze not a wind! :) :)

BTW, excellent detailed reviews of each C-Bay hole Posted over the last few weeks Richard. Well done. Looking forward to seeing more of the course on TV soon.

Atb

Jason Thurman

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2015, 01:28:23 PM »
It seems the USGA is taking a huge gamble following up the renovated Pinehurst with Chambers Bay. I don't believe last years Open has had anywhere near the hoped for positive effect on the trend of high input courses. If this tournament is dominated from start to finish by one player such as last year or if it comes across as being not much more than a random lottery of bounces and luck, I feel that the whole sustainable movement will be set back by many years.

I get what you're saying here Grant. The Pinehurst Open last year was an unwatchable blowout, and it certainly didn't advance the movement toward sustainability. Very few people that I spoke to thought the course looked good, including me if we're being honest.

I could be wrong, but I expect to love the presentation of Chambers Bay as a television viewer. However, I'm not sure that it will appeal any more to the average viewer than last year's US Open did. Still, I don't see the sustainable movement being set back at all, regardless of how the course is received. The sustainability movement is being driven primarily by economics, with a slight boost from a golfing public that is slowly but surely beginning to realize that it's more fun to play when the ball bounces. Four days of televised professional golf will neither drive the movement forward, nor set it back.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2015, 01:52:16 PM »
Very little rain in the forecast. No lightning, which may have helped Chambers in the selection process. Low-ish humidity.

My very amateurish opinion has been that between Chambers Bay and Erin Hills, the latter will see more US Opens

Garland Bayley

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2015, 06:54:10 PM »
Peter Pittock, That's revisionist history about Shinny in '04

No, it's not. Stating the truth posted by Pete is revisionist, however, would be revisionist.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Matthew Essig

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2015, 06:56:41 PM »
Here is another picture from the pros playing the course (obviously they don't know about the thirds rule)

"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Garland Bayley

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2015, 07:01:24 PM »
... I'm not sure that it will appeal any more to the average viewer than last year's US Open did. ...

Perhaps you are not aware of it being set on Puget Sound with some of the greatest golf course scenery anywhere in the world, including sea, islands, and snow capped peaks. The course is hugely appealing no matter what the golfing conditions.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Phil McDade

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2015, 02:11:57 PM »
Peter Pittock, That's revisionist history about Shinny in '04

No, it's not. Stating the truth posted by Pete is revisionist, however, would be revisionist.

Shinnecock '04 was not a terribly difficult U.S. Open, based on recent history. Goosen won with -4, and one other player (Mickelson) was -2, with the rest of the field over par, led by Maggert at +1. U.S. Opens played immediately after that -- Pinehurst in '05, Winged Foot in '06, and Oakmont in '07 -- all had higher winning scores. Other than a few outlier performances (Kaymer last year with his 8-shot win, in what was really one of the all-time great U.S. Open performances; McIlroy in '11 due to a faulty set-up by Davis; Woods at Pebble in 2000), Goosen's winning total was not out of line with other U.S. Open winning totals of the past few decades (it matched exactly his winning total at Southern Hills a few years earlier, as well as Lucas Glover's winning total at BBlack in '09).

The last day at Shinnecock was difficult in the aggregate, but is the notion that the entire course "got away" from the USGA a fair one? I'm not sure; after all, both Mickelson and Goosen made one-putt birdies down the stretch on the back nine on Sunday, suggesting great play was rewarded. The between-groups watering of some greens, and Mickelson's 3-jack from 5 feet on the same hole (and his whining about it afterwards; note that I am a big fan of Lefty, and note also Goosen parred the hole) are what many remember about the course "condition" that day. But I'd argue it was a course that in some parts (not all -- some) was a brutally difficult test of golf -- as all U.S. Opens should be. ;)

Craig Sweet

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2015, 02:30:38 PM »
I think it will be an interesting US Open....that said, I find CB to be ugly....like an old gravel mine.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Jason Thurman

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2015, 02:34:24 PM »
Quote from: Jason Thurman on Yesterday at 01:28:23 PM
... I'm not sure that it will appeal any more to the average viewer than last year's US Open did. ...

Perhaps you are not aware of it being set on Puget Sound with some of the greatest golf course scenery anywhere in the world, including sea, islands, and snow capped peaks. The course is hugely appealing no matter what the golfing conditions.

I stand corrected by your irrefutable logic, as usual. I'll pass word on to Ian Poulter and Ryan Palmer. And Craig Sweet.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2015, 05:39:28 PM »
... is the notion that the entire course "got away" from the USGA a fair one? ...

Basically Pete's statement equated getting away with having to water. We all remember the USGA had to actually put water on the course every second group at the 7th at Shinny. I don't think there is any unfairness about Pete's statement.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2015, 05:44:23 PM »
Quote from: Jason Thurman on Yesterday at 01:28:23 PM

I stand corrected by your irrefutable logic, as usual. I'll pass word on to Ian Poulter and Ryan Palmer. And Craig Sweet.

Make sure that you point out to Ian and Ryan that their criticism of wild greens could be leveled at Augusta National too, but that would be politically ill-advised. So they are being a bit two faced about it, not criticizing Augusta while criticizing Chambers.

I don't think Craig called the sea, islands, and snow capped peaks "ugly, like an old gravel mine."

Craig Sweet

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2015, 08:58:20 PM »
There is nothing wrong with views of snow capped mountains and shimmering oceans......but a golf course in a gravel mine is still a golf course in a gravel mine no matter how beautiful the scenery when you look away from the golf course in a gravel mine. 

Here's what I think....next week the unknowing will tune in to the US Open and say WTF???????   
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Greg Chambers

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2015, 09:04:26 PM »
They won't be saying wtf because the course is in a gravel mine...they'll be saying wtf because the grass isn't green.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Matthew Essig

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2015, 09:44:53 PM »
A couple more pictures.

"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Craig Sweet

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2015, 10:06:10 PM »
A couple more pictures.

I'm looking at these photo's and there is nothing about this piece of property that looks like the adjoining properties....they are green and wooded.....this looks like a gravel pit with a golf course dropped into it.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Grant Saunders

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2015, 10:09:51 PM »
It seems the USGA is taking a huge gamble following up the renovated Pinehurst with Chambers Bay. I don't believe last years Open has had anywhere near the hoped for positive effect on the trend of high input courses. If this tournament is dominated from start to finish by one player such as last year or if it comes across as being not much more than a random lottery of bounces and luck, I feel that the whole sustainable movement will be set back by many years.

I get what you're saying here Grant. The Pinehurst Open last year was an unwatchable blowout, and it certainly didn't advance the movement toward sustainability. Very few people that I spoke to thought the course looked good, including me if we're being honest.

I could be wrong, but I expect to love the presentation of Chambers Bay as a television viewer. However, I'm not sure that it will appeal any more to the average viewer than last year's US Open did. Still, I don't see the sustainable movement being set back at all, regardless of how the course is received. The sustainability movement is being driven primarily by economics, with a slight boost from a golfing public that is slowly but surely beginning to realize that it's more fun to play when the ball bounces. Four days of televised professional golf will neither drive the movement forward, nor set it back.

Jason

I am refering to an envirnmentally sustainable movement that actively chooses to employ lower inputs such as water etc. There can certainly be some fiancially positive gains to be had from reducing inputs but that is a side effect of the environmental philosophy in this case.

If this  tournament is won/lost down the stretch due to dry conditions producing erratic shot outcomes, I would predict a measurable increase in water consumption throughout the member owned golf courses within 24 hours of the final putt.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2015, 11:29:08 PM »

I'm looking at these photo's and there is nothing about this piece of property that looks like the adjoining properties....they are green and wooded.....this looks like a gravel pit with a golf course dropped into it.

Because it is a gravel pit!

It was a scar in the landscape caused by decades of mining. It looked nothing like the surrounding landscape before. It still doesn't.

The course and the regional park are unbelievable works of art that try to cover the land's troubled past.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2015, 11:36:24 PM »

If this  tournament is won/lost down the stretch due to dry conditions producing erratic shot outcomes...

You guys who know the course: is this at all likely to happen?  In the Amateur, the two top-ranked players in the world made finals.  Kind of suggesting luck or erratic shot outcomes had little to do with the result. 

Ben Sims

« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2015, 11:37:46 PM »
The grass isn't green, oh the humanity! How will golf in America survive? I am tired of these annual debates in April and June that deal with the place on the spectrum where the reflected light off of a blade of grass lies. Tight, lush ryegrass is awesome. Less than green fine fescue plays awesome. Who gives a shit? Obviously the USGA doesn't. You probably shouldn't either.

Richard Choi

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2015, 11:50:49 PM »
You guys who know the course: is this at all likely to happen?  In the Amateur, the two top-ranked players in the world made finals.  Kind of suggesting luck or erratic shot outcomes had little to do with the result. 

Well, you better tell R&A that they should not hold The Open at St. Andrews either...

Seriously, for a group of people who are supposed to be in supporters of the ground game, there seems to be little faith.

I believe the three dimensional aspect of the course will produce a superior champion, lucky bounce or no. People win majors on lucky bounces all the time, why would you expect this tournament to be different?

The course is going to play as designed. It produced a semi-final matches by 4 of the best amateur players in the world. May be that was luck of the bounces, but we will know soon enough.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back