News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMEvensky

Re: Forest Dunes seeks naming help for new 2nd course
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2015, 04:52:16 PM »
Caitlyn

Stephen Davis

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2015, 05:25:20 PM »
Caitlyn
Haha. This one actually made me laugh.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2015, 05:35:21 PM »
Caitlyn
Haha. This one actually made me laugh.
+1
Sadly, there's not a marketer anywhere who would appreciate the insouciant charm of that idea.
They'd like Solstice and Meridian more

Philip Hensley

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2015, 05:58:20 PM »
In view of "it goes both ways" I suggest AC/DC

Rock Hudson Golf Links

MClutterbuck

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2015, 06:25:52 PM »
I agree they should not try for a gimmicky name. To me the course is only one, and it should have one name that has something to do with Forest Dunes. And they should just refer to the East and West starting tees, or North and South starting tees, or differentiate the tees by some geographic or terrain feature close to each tee.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2015, 09:47:45 PM »
 It's like they are trying to copy Keiser's "build the excitement before opening" marketing but not so close people think they are copying it and then failing at both.

It's not like Mr. Keiser invented that sort of marketing.  They have done the same with practically every new course in northern Michigan from the time I moved here.  However, not many of them have done so successfully on a national level.

My suggestion was Dune Forest, but they are hoping for something better, so I will stick to designing it.  Of the names suggested here so far, I like "Boomerang" best because the routing is sort of that shape ... it goes out in a big arc, then comes back.

I enjoy Palindromes [I got married on 20-11-02], but I don't like Palindrome as a name for the course because it is NOT the same forwards and backwards ... it is a very different course over exactly the same ground.

We've got 15 greens shaped as of today ... it is really coming together fast.

Jason Way

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2015, 10:09:57 PM »
Regardless of what name they settle on (and the argument for understatement is persuasive), I sure hope they design a logo that is an ambigram.  That is golf hat I would love to have.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Jim Lipstate

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2015, 10:22:50 PM »
Since the course is reversible and plays in all directions how about - Compass Rose Dunes or alternatively Windrose Dunes. As a logo one could use a decorative Compass Rose such as:

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/compass-rose-3366638.jpg

JC Jones

« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2015, 07:36:51 AM »
 It's like they are trying to copy Keiser's "build the excitement before opening" marketing but not so close people think they are copying it and then failing at both.

It's not like Mr. Keiser invented that sort of marketing.  They have done the same with practically every new course in northern Michigan from the time I moved here.  However, not many of them have done so successfully on a national level.

All courses market themselves before they open.  I'm talking about Keiser's version.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2015, 07:41:59 AM »
Well it is difficult to grasp a good name that can also be a word or words backwards.

There was a famous steeplechase horse in the 1970s that won the Grand National called Red Rum.

RED RUM is MURDER backwards. :)

It is a good fun exercise though. Otherwise one direction could be called Forest course and the other direction Dunes course

Steve Lang

« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2015, 08:32:11 AM »
 :o  i'm sure they'd like to be associated with "The Shining"
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

MCirba

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2015, 08:48:29 AM »
I'd nominate something fun and whimsical like 'Runaround Dunes".
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Garland Bayley

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2015, 09:29:50 AM »
Windward Dunes and Leeward Dunes
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Hendren

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2015, 09:50:55 AM »
Juxtaposition
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Eric Smith

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2015, 10:08:14 AM »
RoscommonGround

Jud_T

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2015, 10:11:07 AM »
While I'm quite keen to see the course, I fear that this name game is a squandering of PR bullets which should be focusing on the real news here- the economic and environmental benefits of the concept and the implications for the future of the game.  All you have to do is say Cali drought on one hand and half the land and water use on the other and you have intellectual capital with real staying power.  Instead we're playing a game on Bozo's circus circa 1976....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZvDxmjlJGc
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2015, 10:41:10 AM »
After a few privileged pricks show up and insist on not waiting for the proper day to play the course of their choosing somebody is going to call Cluster F-ck.  In five years there will be the course and the course we occasionally play on special occasions.

I truly hope this is not the case as any course that requires a hit and runner to stay the night is perfect by me.  That being said Bed and Breakfast may be the perfect name.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2015, 10:49:44 AM »
How 'bout the "Idiom"

One loop can be called "Cake" and one can be called "Eat It"

Brent Hutto

« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2015, 10:52:04 AM »
Haven't read the entire thread. Has anyone suggested naming the two courses Forest Dunes Old and Forest Dunes New?

Or maybe the other way 'round, come to think of it...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2015, 10:56:02 AM »
I can't recall that guys name, you know ole four ball, but won't it be great to play the course in one direction and hit old balls backwards in the other?  It's gonna be tough but with a bit of creativity and a complete lack of social ethics I do believe a guy can rate both courses while only "paying" to play in one direction.  

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2015, 11:06:40 AM »
It is also my sincere hope that this course marks the end of the modern photo tour.  I'd like to see a local rule limiting the number of photos allowed while playing.  Someone is going to get injured out there while taking pictures in one direction while their mates are playing in another.  The ass shot is inherently safe, standing in front of a player...not so much.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 11:08:34 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Michael Moore

« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2015, 11:29:06 AM »
After a few privileged pricks show up and insist on not waiting for the proper day to play the course of their choosing somebody is going to call Cluster F-ck.  In five years there will be the course and the course we occasionally play on special occasions.

I truly hope this is not the case as any course that requires a hit and runner to stay the night is perfect by me.  That being said Bed and Breakfast may be the perfect name.

I can't recall that guys name, you know ole four ball, but won't it be great to play the course in one direction and hit old balls backwards in the other?  It's gonna be tough but with a bit of creativity and a complete lack of social ethics I do believe a guy can rate both courses while only "paying" to play in one direction.  

John, I have coffee coming out of my nose. You are playing chess and the rest of us are playing checkers.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Rich Goodale

« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2015, 12:17:46 PM »
I'm with John K and MichaelM.

Call it Forest Dunes #2 and #3, allow tee offs from both ends and make all players wear football helmets and hard cups.  Golf will be in the X-games Olympics before you know it.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Brent Hutto

« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2015, 12:21:24 PM »
Maybe they could play a Tour event there. It could be a two-tee start on Thursday and Friday, using the two ends and playing in counter-flow directions.

I'm picturing Keegan Bradley right in the middle of his "will he or won't he" back-and-forth spasmodic dance. Someone in the gallery could yell "Incoming" and he'd probably poop in his pants.

David Minogue

« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2015, 02:55:46 PM »
Doubleback Dunes or perhaps The Doubleback at Forest Dunes

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back