News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken Moum

Eden Course
« on: May 26, 2015, 04:27:59 PM »
Okay, I played Eden today for only the second time.  Sadly, I realized that due to my general incompetence at golf in 2013, I didn't really pay attention to what's going on there.

But some emails exchanged with Bill McBride while we we were both in Scotland, where he used the term "regrettable" for the Steel holes prompted me to pay more attention.

Well, I think he understated the situation. The Steel holes are silly, and the greens are insipid.  Especially when compared to the crazy contours of the Colt greens. Whatinhell was the Links Trust thinking back in 1989?

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Jeff Fortson

Re: Eden Course
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 05:11:42 PM »
I think the Eden Course is a beard puller's paradise. I played it for the first time last year as a single and had an absolute blast.
#nowhitebelt

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 05:55:51 PM »
I think the Eden Course is a beard puller's paradise. I played it for the first time last year as a single and had an absolute blast.

I tend to agree. I've long thought the Eden fits the very definition of a hidden gem -- odd, because it sits next to perhaps the best-known course in the world.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 05:59:56 PM »
As soon as I approached the 1st green I knew I was in for something special. What a green to open with! Phenomenal.
#nowhitebelt

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 06:13:42 PM »
Tell us your thoughts of the "pond holes," 14 and 15.  Awful and out of character.   I agree on the many really good greens, but Steel can't be forgiven for 14 and 15.

Ken Moum

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 06:24:53 PM »
Tell us your thoughts of the "pond holes," 14 and 15.  Awful and out of character.   I agree on the many really good greens, but Steel can't be forgiven for 14 and 15.

Or the dead-flat, round greens that are SO out of character. I think it was 13 that made me wonder if he'd even seen the greens on the front nine.

I agree with the idea that Eden is a fun play, and deserves more accolades.  But how good were those holes on what is now the learning center? I tried looking on the history slider on Google Earth, but the only old pictures are from 1945 and not real clear.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 07:11:54 PM »
Any thoughts on the new 5th green Ken ?

Alex Miller

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 08:12:07 PM »

Or the dead-flat, round greens that are SO out of character. I think it was 13 that made me wonder if he'd even seen the greens on the front nine.

I agree with the idea that Eden is a fun play, and deserves more accolades.  But how good were those holes on what is now the learning center? I tried looking on the history slider on Google Earth, but the only old pictures are from 1945 and not real clear.

K

One can only imagine that the quality was in line with the surrounding golf holes, no? The 1st, 2nd, 17th, and 18th on Eden are all very nice par 4's IMO. The neighboring 15th and 16th holes on TOC aren't too bad either!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 01:50:30 AM »

K

One can only imagine that the quality was in line with the surrounding golf holes, no? The 1st, 2nd, 17th, and 18th on Eden are all very nice par 4's IMO. The neighboring 15th and 16th holes on TOC aren't too bad either!

Remember the old second green is still there. It's on the other side of the fence to the first tee and is one of the greatest greens on the entire links.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 08:33:52 AM »
Any thoughts on the new 5th green Ken ?

Not Ken, but I played there a week ago and thought that green was really good.    Not as good as the cross over eighth with the world's most diabolical false front  ;D but pretty good.

We loved the cross over there, great routing quirk. 

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 11:36:04 AM »
Earth to Paul Turner.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Andy Shulman

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 11:50:11 PM »
While it may not be worth crossing an ocean to play, those first 11 holes are excellent, especially the criss-cross par 3s.  And, #17 reminds me a bit of #16 on TOC.  A course well worth playing, despite the Steele holes, none of which are especially noteworthy, but all of which are tolerable other than the short par-4 14th around the pond.

Ken Moum

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 05:01:59 PM »
While it may not be worth crossing an ocean to play, those first 11 holes are excellent, especially the criss-cross par 3s.  And, #17 reminds me a bit of #16 on TOC.  A course well worth playing, despite the Steele holes, none of which are especially noteworthy, but all of which are tolerable other than the short par-4 14th around the pond.

I think the par four that precedes it is at least as bad... especially in light of the Colt holes you've already played.

The two of them could be airlifted into almost any Florida resort course and no one would notice.

Today my wife and I did a bike ride from Eden to Tentsmuir Forest and back, which ended in taking a shower in the Eden locker room.  There are several photos of the Eden Tournament from the 1950s that show those lost holes. They may not have been as interesting as the ones that are left, but they certainly were in character.

K

Matthew Essig

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »
I had a blast playing the Eden course. I enjoyed 1-11, 17, and 18 a lot. I'm glad my father and I made time for playing some of those impeccable holes.

12 and 13 lost all the quirk. 14 and 15 are so out of place. 16 is mediocre.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back