News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Davis

GCA as a deciding factor on where you live?
« on: May 05, 2015, 04:19:33 AM »
I'm almost afraid to ask this question. It popped into my mind while just responding to Michael's "law of diminishing returns" post.

How many of you have let GCA be an influence on where you decided to live? For how many was it the main influence? Was this in the end a wise choice for you? Would you do it again?

I might be approaching this stage in the next few years. One where you can go anywhere. After being overseas for about 25 years (thinking 4 years ahead here) I might reach a point where I have to decide where I want to live when I grow up. Golf could have a big impact on this. 20 years in The Netherlands have been great BUT I somehow don't feel attached, more of a home is where I lay my hat kind of cliche would fit.

How many have faced this and decided for a part/large part based on GCA? Maybe it's just a silly question.

Thoughts?

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Sean_A

Re: GCA as a deciding factor on where you live?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 04:37:37 AM »
David

I didn't mind moving to England partly because I knew the golf was good and plentiful.  But when choosing the specific area, golf had nothing to do with it. I think if I moved country again, it would be for a reasonable warm all-year climate so as a sideline that definitely helps the golf prospects.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 05:32:28 AM »
Well, the wife and I are currently looking at houses in Deal and Sandwich...
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 06:18:11 AM »
How many of you have let GCA be an influence on where you decided to live? For how many was it the main influence? Was this in the end a wise choice for you? Would you do it again?

Golf was definitely the largest factor in deciding where we bought our house.  In our 20's we bought our retirement home in Pinehurst.  Was it a wise choice...I don't regret it, but realize it probably wasn't a "smart" financial decision.  I'd do it again.  We'll see if it works out in 15 years when we retire, for now we enjoy the visits.

David Davis

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 08:31:30 AM »
David

I didn't mind moving to England partly because I knew the golf was good and plentiful.  But when choosing the specific area, golf had nothing to do with it. I think if I moved country again, it would be for a reasonable warm all-year climate so as a sideline that definitely helps the golf prospects.

Ciao

Sean,

Examples please, where are you going to find the kind of golf you love in a warm climate that's also equivalent to what you are use to from a cost perspective? Enlighten me and I might put that on my to be considered list. I mean it can't be Spain/Portugal, Florida, California etc so I'm kind of drawing a blank here.

DD

David Davis

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 08:35:26 AM »

Golf was definitely the largest factor in deciding where we bought our house.  In our 20's we bought our retirement home in Pinehurst.  Was it a wise choice...I don't regret it, but realize it probably wasn't a "smart" financial decision.  I'd do it again.  We'll see if it works out in 15 years when we retire, for now we enjoy the visits.

Joe,

Thanks. I remember discussing this during our round at De Pan. What amazed me is that you are the youngest person I've ever heard of planning for their retirement when they have an entire life to lead before they get there. I guess you can never plan too early but wow that was amazing. I told you then that I had not long ago been offered a job in Pinehurst that was quite interesting but given I am divorced and couldn't take my kids with me, without breaking international laws (ha ha) it was a no go. Turns out this company went bust so things happen for a reason.

Pinehurst does sound like a great place for me to live, especially since I seem to know a lot of people living there now, or in your case, retiring there.

David Davis

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 08:38:08 AM »

Adam, seems a good choice. I could play Deal every day and never tire of it. RSG is also outstanding but Deal is even more fun IMO.

Plus the town is a lot nicer than I had expected. Now I'm not what the value for money is in that area compared to something like St. Andrews but the weather is certainly compatible to NL.

GLawson

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 09:05:05 AM »
I wonder if you asked GCA folks to name two places (or 2 clubs) for retirement.  One for winter and one for summer and they could never play anywhere else again.  What would they choose?  I would vote for Western NC (Wade Hampton) in the summer and Palm Desert (Stone Eagle) in the winter.

Frank Sekulic

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 11:11:10 AM »
Is GCA a deciding factor, no. Is access to a few top flight courses a priority, yes.

As for Stone Eagle, I love the club but, I am indifferent about the course itself.

David Davis

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 11:19:02 AM »
I wonder if you asked GCA folks to name two places (or 2 clubs) for retirement.  One for winter and one for summer and they could never play anywhere else again.  What would they choose?  I would vote for Western NC (Wade Hampton) in the summer and Palm Desert (Stone Eagle) in the winter.

While I wouldn't want to change the thread just yet for me it's hard to beat the St. Andrews links ticket for locals at 200 GBP/year and unlimited access to 8 arguably excellent courses including the Old Course and Kingsbarns for a reasonable extra fee.

Even if you only spend your summers up there.

I'm still waiting to see it knocked off the pedestal and waiting for a similar warm weather winter alternative.

Steve Lang

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 12:28:03 PM »
 8) David,

Don't you have to go continent by continent to get the economics to be properly relative? 

ps I didn't know there were any warm places in the UK?? ::)

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 12:41:48 PM »
David

Ciao

Sean,

Examples please, where are you going to find the kind of golf you love in a warm climate that's also equivalent to what you are use to from a cost perspective? Enlighten me and I might put that on my to be considered list. I mean it can't be Spain/Portugal, Florida, California etc so I'm kind of drawing a blank here.

DD

While on vacation my wife asked me where I'd choose to live if we moved - a hypothetical question since we love where we are.  Without too much thinking I offered Aiken, SC.  Walkable small downtown, Southern, a few hours to the beach, affordable with quaint architecture, just enough weather seasonality, Aiken Golf Club with the occasional invite to Palmetto and the inevitable invite to Augusta National Golf Club once people realize what a modest and swell fellow I am. 

I'd say that would work for Sean nicely.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jud_T

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 01:14:53 PM »
I think that it will be an important factor on where we retire, but only one of several (i.e. proximity to kids, friends, culture, climate, low taxes etc.).  I guess the point is that if golf is important to you, and you have options, you want to be close to at least 1 course/club that you look forward to playing again and again.  Having been fortunate enough to belong to several clubs throughout the years, I will say that for a course to stand up to hundreds of repeat plays, it better fit your game and taste like a glove or you will inevitably tire of it.  I think the bar is actually pretty high for some of us in this regard.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Charlie Ray

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 01:15:37 PM »
Although I didn't have complete control over where I would attend graduate school, I let it be known that I preferred Columbus, OH over San Antonio, New Orleans, and Rome, primarily for the quality of the golf in the area.  After spending 6 years arguing with Buckeyes and playing some good golf I would have asked for somewhere else.  The reason is that it only really takes one special place for me to get my golf architecture fix.  And although Columbus has a tremendous assortment of courses in town  (two Rosses, a MacK, two early Dyes, and countless others)  it doesn't make it a better place to live then NOLA, Rome or San Antonio because who cares if there are 3 great course down the road; all I need is one.  I guess what I am trying to say is that being surrounded by great architecture doesn't add much to one's quality of life.  Give me a good home course and a trip or two a year playing some greats.  

Thus, to answer the OP question,  Yes, I requested to be sent for studies in Columbus, OH for the richness of the golf Architecture, and after I found a welcoming and fun club,  I could care less about the other courses in town.  Finding a club or course that you enjoy and are comfortable at trumps having a handful of ranked courses around home.  

William_G

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 01:39:32 PM »
I moved to Oregon 24 years ago because I knew Bandon Dunes was going to happen, LOL

I could easily live in Bandon year round :)
It's all about the golf!

David Davis

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 04:35:04 PM »
I moved to Oregon 24 years ago because I knew Bandon Dunes was going to happen, LOL

I could easily live in Bandon year round :)

sigh, if only Bandon offered memberships to locals I'd seriously consider returning to Oregon....Bandon, if you can remove yourself from civilization might be one of the few utopias in existence. All they need is a 200 USD all course card for locals to grow the population considerably to a sort of St. Andrews - esque type of situation.

Hey a guy can dream right?

David Stamm

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 04:51:55 PM »
While weather being good all year round is a possible deciding factor, one must take into consideration whether having year round access to mediocre courses is acceptable. I live in San Diego, which arguably enjoys the best year round weather anywhere. Frankly,  we are one of the worst golf destinations quite simply because our course selection overall stinks. I lived here before taking up the game, so it wasn't a factor in choosing SD as a place to live. If I had to do it over again, I would trade our milder climate for a place like San Francisco. I feel the course scene, both public and private, is superior.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 05:08:55 PM by David Stamm »
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Pat Burke

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 05:25:39 PM »
Even as a classic golf junkie, when we moved to our home, I was still playing, and chose
a good place to practice, with course(s) that offered similar shot demands I would likely face
in tournaments.
Schools and safety trumped all, even as I needed a good place to practice/play.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 07:25:46 PM »

Is it as hard to find a parking space in Deal or Sandwich as Rye?  That £40 parking ticket was painful!

Littlestone might be a good town, and a charming golf course and membership.  RCP is a personal favorite though.  What a dilemma you face, Adam!

jeffwarne

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 08:15:38 PM »
I returned to the MET section because they play a good/ great course every event.
when I lived in Florida the competitive courses were abysmal.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill Brightly

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2015, 08:26:52 PM »
To threadjack a bit, what is the best destination for warm weather golf in the Eastern US? Is Aiken warm enough? Is there enough complelling golf from a gca perspective? I haven't found anyplace in Florida that meets my criteria: access to multiple great courses, that allow pull carts or have caddies, but close enough to the water to get my wife to move with me...

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 08:36:24 PM »
To threadjack a bit, what is the best destination for warm weather golf in the Eastern US? Is Aiken warm enough? Is there enough complelling golf from a gca perspective? I haven't found anyplace in Florida that meets my criteria: access to multiple great courses, that allow pull carts or have caddies, but close enough to the water to get my wife to move with me...

Bill,
Is it the best?
No idea, but it's pretty good, affordable and a nice old town.
Palmetto's a great home course. Aiken GC a cheap nearby diversion that appeals to GCA, Midland Valley cheap also -a bit rough and ready but a solid Maples course, + a host of development courses designed by Cobb, Jones, Cupp and Arthur Hills.
2:45 to the ocean and golfable year round though in a month like January you have to be a weather watcher and generally get 15 pretty good days (upper 50's or better) that month-often there are days in the mid 70's in January, but could also have a high of 42.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jason Way

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2015, 08:57:41 PM »
I have these thoughts too David.  And yes, my decision to buy our home in Onekama, MI was directly driven by its proximity to Kingsley, Arcadia, Crystal Downs, Forest Dunes, etc, etc.  Didn't hurt that my wife loves the area, but golf was the thing for me. 

Now that we have that place for summers, we are starting to think about what to do once the boys head off and we don't need our home in Evanston, IL anymore.  Warm weather and golf will most definitely be the deciding factors for me, and I cannot image regretting that approach to making the decision.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Jason Topp

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2015, 09:02:29 PM »
If we chose to be snowbirds it would be a huge factor.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 09:03:51 PM »
If we chose to be snowbirds it would be a huge factor.

What areas interest you?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back