News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Bernstein

Re: How far is reasonable to travel for regular golf?
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2015, 07:04:10 PM »
What is regular golf?

For me it is a game between five or six guys three days a week. Always with a minimum of a foursome. Playing on vacation, as a guest or as a critic is not regular golf.

Driving an hour for a great game against people whose handicap you trust is worth an hours drive.

I would generally agree with this definition.

David Stamm

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2015, 07:47:13 PM »
My wife and I just had our second child this past year. My driving circumference has been temporarily reduced to about 20 minutes for regular golf. I have driven much further the last few months to play with other GCA guys. Undernormal circumstances, 45 mins would be the absolute limit, but if I had Sunningdale within an hour like Brian, I would gladly drive that regularly.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Sam Morrow

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2015, 08:58:20 PM »
I live in West Houston, my main home club is about 90 minutes away, our other sister club is 45 minutes away, It's a good bit of travel but my membership is one of the best deals you'll ever find, one fantastic course, and one okay course. It's also full of wonderful people and yesterday we played 36 holes in just over 4 hours.

I can live with a little inconvenience.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 12:33:37 AM »
What is regular golf?

For me it is a game between five or six guys three days a week. Always with a minimum of a foursome. Playing on vacation, as a guest or as a critic is not regular golf.

Driving an hour for a great game against people whose handicap you trust is worth an hours drive.

For me regular golf is a competition every Saturday and Wednesday and a 'roll-up' on other days where whoever turns up at a pre-arranged time splits into three or four-balls for small stakes. Oh, and Sunday with my wife.

For this at my club I travel about 15 minutes - 30 on a bad day.  I wouldn't want to travel much further;  I pass two perfectly good clubs on my way to Reddish Vale which would be far more convenient for me - particularly after a few pints in the bar!

David_Elvins

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 06:55:06 AM »
My wife and I just had our second child this past year. My driving circumference has been temporarily reduced to about 20 minutes for regular golf.

Wow, you are doing better than me, Stamm, if you are getting in regular golf with a couple of little ones around. 

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

archie_struthers

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2015, 08:24:11 AM »

Convenience is huge for,most people. So anywhere from 15-20 minutes away is ideal !

Jim Sherma

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2015, 09:23:11 AM »
With a family, convenience trumps everything. I was lucky that my closest course is also the best in the area (5 minutes from both home and office). One of the big factors that helped get my wife on board with joining a few years back was the saved time on my driving back and forth to play and practice on the local public courses (20-35 minutes depending on the course that week). Pace of play and the ease of getting marginal rounds, nines or just a few holes in is also a huge plus. With no family commitments 30 minutes would be ok with 45- an hour my outer limit for a course that was really a step-up from something more local. I think I would need someplace close for practice no matter what, even if it is just a local driving range.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2015, 09:38:35 AM »
OT
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:45:08 AM by Brent Hutto »

David Stamm

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2015, 11:42:40 AM »
My wife and I just had our second child this past year. My driving circumference has been temporarily reduced to about 20 minutes for regular golf.

Wow, you are doing better than me, Stamm, if you are getting in regular golf with a couple of little ones around. 

"Regular" has been redefined as well. 2-3 times a month right now. Summertime will increase, as daughter number 1, who is 12 years old (going on 30!) and helps her mother and I out alot, will be home and not at school. I practice putting at home an awful lot these days..... :)
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Andrew Bernstein

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2015, 12:56:38 PM »
In full disclosure, I have just recently joined a club that is 75 minutes each way from my house and office. I felt it provided the best course(s) for my long-term interests, but the driving time was always going to be a concern. Now, it's too soon to make a judgement (and the weather too bad to play much golf), but I feel like I have made the right decision. It's a fairly easy drive without much traffic, which certainly reduces stress. Playing pace is also very good (as it has a lot of national members). Of course, I'm saying all of this without yet starting a family, so that could (and will) all change. My wife, though, seems supportive (I suppose that could also change).

My biggest issue with driving long distances is whether you miss the real benefits of club membership. Of course, all of us on this board would likely drive long distances to play great golf courses. But club membership is more than just golf. There's a great deal of comradery that comes with being a member of a club. If you are traveling a great distance, and all of your club members are also traveling great distances, then it makes sense. Maybe that's why a national club has a large appeal. But if you're driving 2 hours to play golf and everyone else lives close by, maybe your experience will be different than theirs.

Mainly, I was thinking out loud with my question. Of course, there's no right or wrong answer, but I was curious what others though and what has worked from them.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2015, 01:48:57 PM »
I'd say 45 minutes is at the outer edge of "reasonable".  I'm a member of one course that's a half-hour from home and another that's 75 minutes away.  I'm at the closer course a couple times a week and at the further course maybe four-five times a season.  To me, more than an hour drive makes it very hard to justify for "regular" golf.  Just do the math: 2 hours of driving (assuming no unusual traffic delays), combined with 4 hours of golf and an hour of socialization adds up 7 hours.  That's a big chunk of one's day to "regularly" dedicate to golf.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2015, 02:03:13 PM »
It is interesting to see the US perspective on distances that you are prepared to travel. Amazingly today we lost one of our prominent members that lives in Cheltenham, 45 minutes away, he has decided to join a club nearer, so one of the very few that backed the '25 minute UK rule' has gone. When I was in LA we used to drive to Palm Springs to play, your roads are better, fuel cheaper.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Steve Wilson

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2015, 04:36:30 PM »
I frequently drive two hours to play with friend(s) of mine at Preston Country Club.  In fact I've been known to do it on the off chance of a game.  I love yhe course and I don't mind the drive.  As always ymmv.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

David Ober

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2015, 10:55:46 AM »
The number one factor of playing 40 rounds per year of 8 hours or more due to travel is how you manage the relationships with your family.   I doubt that for this generation it is possible. 

I play 120 a year and my club is 35 miles away. In order to scare her off, I told my second wife while we were dating that she would never see me on a Saturday morning or afternoon unless she went to the club with me (which I am fine with), nor would she see me on many Sunday mornings, and that our vacations would most likely be golf-related.

She married me anyway. LOL

Carl Rogers

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2015, 07:58:51 PM »
I am very lucky .... live in Tidewater VA, Sleepy Hole Golf Course is 3 minutes from home (see the first edition of the Confidential Guide), solid 4.5 Doak Scale course. Riverfront, early Doak, is 10 minutes from home and a 2 minute detour on the road back and forth from work & home, easy nine hole play after work.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back