News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Bernstein

How far is reasonable to travel for regular golf?
« on: March 08, 2015, 09:47:35 AM »
Using the search function, I found a lot of discussion about national clubs and convincing members from around the country (and world) to join for only a few rounds per year. What I didn't find was a lot of talk about how far you would be willing to drive for regular golf. Of course, this could be private or public, but probably pertains more to private clubs as there is more financial commitment and obligation to get the most out of one's membership.

So, how far is reasonable? Is an hour too far? Does the quality of the course have much to do with it? If you don't have the option to play spur of the moment rounds (because of commuting time), does that sour the experience of private club membership?

Wade Whitehead

Re: How far is reasonable to travel for regular golf?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 09:53:33 AM »
Guys in big cities routinely drive an hour or more.

WW

Carl Rogers

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 10:46:12 AM »
part of the time equation should be the pace of play.  if it is an uncrowded course with no waiting on every shot, then a longer drive may well be worth it.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 10:51:28 AM »
85 % of golfers play within 30 minutes in the UK as their regular golf. A standard catchment area for your membership is 20 minutes drive time at off peak time, if you can find 27,000 people not satisfied by a golf course you need one.

Daily outings people travel up to 90 minutes, but will stretch it lots if the course is the GB & Ire  top 50, maybe even down to the 100.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 10:52:55 AM »
The enjoyment of golfing away from all business interests or anyone who will ever meet your wife in an uncontrolled environment is a treat most likely lost on the young men of today. An hours drive is a small price to pay.

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 10:59:05 AM »
Andrew,

Each situation is different.  I used to drive 25-30 minutes to my home club and felt it was too far after a few years.  Of course now I drive 4 1/2 hours.  The ability to get 9 in after work or hit a quick bucket shouldn't be underestimated.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 11:10:19 AM »
I don't go more than a mile for regular golf.
H.P.S.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 11:12:49 AM »
I don't go more than a mile for regular golf.

Where you live if you drive any further the season may be over.

David Davis

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 11:14:51 AM »
Andrew,

This site is likely the wrong one to ask that question if you are looking for the answer from the average golfer.

I'd be will to bet that a very high percentage of people on this site would think nothing of traveling 5 to even 10 hours regularly for the right opportunity time permitting.

Many even have they home club in places like Dismal River for example where there's no civilization (to speak of) without 4.5 hours.

I drive 45 minutes to get to my home club and don't think anything of doing it 80 x per year or more if time permits. Although I could also be tempted to fly to the West Coast of the US for a round (though I would likely combine it with several more).

The treehouse if full of lunatics.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 11:27:31 AM »
Another statistic is that people if they are members of 'their' golf club, they look to move closer and certainly moving further away is a big minus when they look at a house move.

Proximity is a very big factor for regular golf and will over-ride almost every other factor.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 11:35:06 AM »
The number one factor of playing 40 rounds per year of 8 hours or more due to travel is how you manage the relationships with your family.   I doubt that for this generation it is possible. 

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 11:48:51 AM »
Guys in big cities routinely drive an hour or more.

WW

Yup. In NYC, anything within an hour drive is definitely considered close. There have been times where I regularly drove 1:15-1:30 to play. What's more frustrating is that the closest course to me in Brooklyn is only 6 miles away, yet takes 30 mins to drive to on an average day.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 12:04:08 PM »
As Jud points out, every situation is different.

People here in Toronto might drive over an hour some days to get to their club/course of choice. We looked at a property that was about 20 minutes drive from downtown Regina a few years ago that the potential developer thought was too far from the city!
jeffmingay.com

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 01:39:08 PM »
My club is about 20 minutes away from my house on a weekend morning. It is about 30-40 minutes from the office after work with traffic.

Jim Tang

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 01:51:29 PM »
part of the time equation should be the pace of play.  if it is an uncrowded course with no waiting on every shot, then a longer drive may well be worth it.

+1

I'm willing to drive about an hour for a regular round of golf at a decent course, provided the pace of play allows for a speedy round.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 02:08:01 PM »
I have always said the biggest distance problem in golf is the distance from front door to first tee.

Most of the big city studies I have seen show most golfers play one of the two to four closest places to their house.  They may pass one or two closer courses for one of value that they like, or to play with friends, etc., but not too many, for most people.

And, I do think actual drive time vs. distance counts for something, although they are usually one and the same.

Of course, they aren't golf club atlas golf nuts.......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mac Plumart

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 02:21:42 PM »
Depends how good the golf is.

I won't drive 30 minutes for regular golf, since Rivermont is 30 seconds away.

But I'll travel many hours for epic golf.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 02:31:26 PM »

+1

I'm willing to drive about an hour for a regular round of golf at a decent course, provided the pace of play allows for a speedy round.

Here's how bad it can get: I'm so used to 5 hour rounds in the NYC area that those lucky few times I'm able to get around in less than 4 hours it actually feels like I didn't get my money's worth, especially with an hour of driving each way. It's a fever, and the only prescription is 36 holes.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Joe Bausch

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 02:32:49 PM »
More than a few times a season I'll travel 2+ hours for golf.  And occasionally even more.

One time me and 'new' member Mike Cirba spent 14 hours in a car one day traveling to play a single round of golf.   :)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

John Connolly

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 02:45:11 PM »
I live in a northern Chicago suburb.
My club is 6 miles from home. 15 minutes door to door for my weekend morning game. I couldn't feel more fortunate.
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 03:18:11 PM »
I don't think anyone who is concerned about how other golfers play the game should invest in a club an hour from home. You will never be happy on the drive either coming or going.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 04:49:40 PM »
I drive 40 minutes each way (from either home or office) to my home course. That's about my limit, I do not think I would stay a member for very long at a course more than 45-50 minutes away.

For context my commute to work on a normal day is 15-16 minutes each way, which is a bit below average among people I know locally.

Mike_Young

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 05:00:52 PM »
What is regular golf?
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 05:08:07 PM »
What is regular golf?

For me it is a game between five or six guys three days a week. Always with a minimum of a foursome. Playing on vacation, as a guest or as a critic is not regular golf.

Driving an hour for a great game against people whose handicap you trust is worth an hours drive.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2015, 06:34:48 PM »
JakaB,

How is it possible that you just went 4 for 4 ?  😀

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back