News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MWagner

Savannah Golf Club circa 1899
« on: March 07, 2015, 09:33:14 AM »
I am heading down to do a GA / SC swing of some great rounds...Old Tabby Links, Balfaire (both East and West hopefully), The Club at Savannah Harbor....and the one wild card was Savannah Golf Club.  I have not been able to learn who designed the current course and to find out much information on it.  Some friends who travel through that area say that have not heard of it.  Is this Club (organized and a sport and social club in 1797) rich with history as I presume?  It looks like it was moved at least once.  Does anyone know where I can read more on this course?

I am very excited to play but would like to learn a bit about the course and see who has put work into the design of this course.

Mike

Mike_Young

Re: Savannah Golf Club circa 1899
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 03:45:24 PM »
nice golf course....was one of the first in the US....State Am used to be played there often...good membership...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 04:29:36 PM »
Mike,

We just completed the first nine holes of a restoration of Donald Ross's Bacon Park Golf Course in Savannah.  The second nine will begin construction this spring.  We had Ross's original routing as well as his hole detail sketches and aerial photos from 1951 and 1971 to refer to in our efforts.  It was originally a 72 hole complex proposed for the City of Savannah in 1925.  Only 36 were built, 18 of which closed down in the forties.

A new nine was built in the eighties which split up the remaining Ross 18.  We are restoring that 18 and the remaining holes will eventually be converted to something else, maybe just wetlands (as many feel that is what those holes are now).

James Brown

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 09:15:53 AM »
The game is clearly contracting.  Wouldn't say its dying.

1000 courses have closed in the last 8-9 years, but 97% are low-fee public courses.

Casual golf is down.  But every study I have seen says that regular golf (10+ per year) is only slightly down.

Jack has his finger on one thing:  pace of play.  USGA's pace of play project has established pretty clearly that regular golfers on their home courses value pace of play strongly, while vacationing golfers focus more  on conditions.  IF pace of play gets worse and not better, we could start seeing the"base" of golf erode. 

Adam_Messix

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 01:50:12 PM »
Gosh and I thought this thread was about the Savannah Golf Club!!!!

Savannah Golf has a neat golf course that works it's way through a series of Revolutionary War mounding that make for some amazing land forms on a golf course.  Many are used quite effectively.  They are in the process of clearing out underbrush in a few areas to expose mounding that is out of play, but is still amazing to look out.  The course has a nice intimate routing that was changed many years ago when the city condemned land where the original 1st and 18th holes were located for a school (located behind what is now #2).  It is my understanding that Ross made an appearance here and that would make sense.  The greens here have a fair amount of back to front pitch and require precise iron play as they tend to shed iron shots to the sides and the front.  A fun golf course and definitely worth the effort to see.

Richard--

The guys in Savannah speak very highly of the work at Bacon Park.  The tree removal gives it a much cleaner look and I'm happy to see that you have taken it back to Ross' specs.  When did the course reduce from 27 holes to 18? 

MWagner

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 03:40:40 PM »
Richard,

I will try to make it to play your 9 after SGC. Thank you for the insite.

Adam,

That is exactly what I wanted to hear...it is worth the effort it takes to get on. I have my favorite foursome with me coming from PA&NC and with all the amazing courses inside 100 miles we have to chose from l am glad this will be a treat. Very excited to see the Imprints of wars of yesteryears. That is super cool. It will also be exciting to learn with my own eye what Ross influences remain.

Thanks all!!!!

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 07:00:07 PM »
Adam,

It is not yet down to 18 from 27.  We first have to finish the second Ross nine and then I am not sure when they will stop utilizing the remaining holes.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 09:40:54 PM »
MWagner

It is worth a play primarily for the unusual landscape and the fairly fun greens...kinda like playing golf and army at the same time!!

And the club does have the ties to 18th century in spirit if not conspiculously in fact
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

John_Cullum

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 11:12:49 AM »
I was a member there for many years. Here's the deal:

1. Basically unchanged in the last 40 years, except for the small pond in front of the tee that is there for reclaimed water. It was dug about 14 years ago.

2. Basically the same route, but the green has changed a few times in the last 40 years.

3. Ditto

4. Ditto. The pond right of the green is new. Part of the water reclamation requirement.

5. Basically unchanged.

6. This hole is one of the Clyde Johnson nightmare holes. If it doesn't upset the flow of your round, you should just skip it.

7. This par 3 is the first of the Non-Ross holes. It has been tinkered with several times. Another missed opportunity by Clyde Johnson.

8. One of the worst holes you will ever see. The second of the Non-Ross holes. I can't blame Clyde Johnson for tis because the board made him keep it as a par 5. That said, Johnson could have done better than what is there.

9. The last of the Non-Ross holes, and the last of Clyde Johnson's very poor effort until the 18th.

10. The original hole was a par 5 with the tee not too far from the location of 7 tee. Back in the 60's, it was made into a par 4 with a more pronounced right to left bend. One of the best of the Ross Green complexes, but a bit too demanding for the length of the approach shot.

11. Basically the same in my time. There may have been some slight changes to the green, but overall it's the same.

12. Basically the same route as always; however, there have been a number of major changes at the green complex.

13. Basically the same as I always remember. A little was changed at the back of the green where it slopes down to the next tee.

14. A very good Ross volcano hole. The bunker faces have changed over the years with experiments with railroad ties, and sleepers.

15. Basically the same as I always remember.

16. Basically the same route as always; however, there have been a number of changes at the green complex; although it is still the same basic concept as I always remember.

17. Ditto

18. An unfortunate ending, as you have to finish on one of the Johnson holes. The route is the same as I always remember, but the green is  another missed opportunity.

"the club does have the ties to 18th century in spirit if not conspiculously in fact."
I really like this quote from Ward. He may not realize how accurate it really is.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

MWagner

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 12:26:05 PM »
Thanks all for insite.
Mr Cullum,
If we are looking for history, playability and uniqueness would you play here or find a better location?

John_Cullum

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 12:34:00 PM »
It's definitely worth a play

Adam_Messix

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 09:16:48 PM »
John

The 8th Hole now has a par 4 tee in the 450 yard range. 

From reading your post, it looks like most of the greens have been rebuilt at some point.  6-9 and 18 are different than the rest. 

John_Cullum

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 09:51:59 PM »
Those are all Clyde Johnson's.

I had heard they were considering changing 8. I just looked at a new aerial. All they did is money the tee up 75 yards. It's still a 90 degree dogleg, which rarely works in my opinion .

Sven Nilsen

Re: Savannah Golf Club circa 1899 New
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 12:22:53 PM »
Some early articles on Savannah GC.

Jan. 1901 Golf Magazine -

June 1905 Golfers Magazine -

Dec. 1910 Golf Magazine -

April 1912 American Golfer -

Nov. 1912 Golf Magazine -

Dec. 1919 Golfers Magazine -

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:32:01 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back