News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: Dogs AND ladies allowed
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2015, 09:34:28 AM »
Sean

Re visitor numbers at Open venues, numbers are significantly greater the year before and a few years after an Open is played at a venue therefore in cash terms there is quite a difference however agree that these clubs hardly need the extra revenue to survive, and with it they are prone to spending it in ways that is not needed or detrimental.

Lyne

With reference to the quote from Giles Morgan at HSBC, I suspect the only place they could play the Open under his ideal conditions would be at a municipal that didn't have single sex clubs attached like St Andrew still has. Where ever else you play there will be a degree of segregation, be it due to the club being single sex, or the ladies and mens sections playing their own comps and having their own tee times etc, and then there is the fact that they are private members clubs that limit their membership.

And if as you say playing at such a club marginalises a section of prospective golfers and therefore inhibits the growth of the game, then why is there not a movement to stop playing the other 3 majors (and indeed any other PGA Tour tournament) on exclusive high end country clubs. Why was the movement to get change at Augusta not then focused on having them allow visitors irrespective of their sex, rather than some well healed and high profile woman as members ?

Personally I think the marginalisation argument is bollocks but it's certainly one that a lot of the single sex critics are rallying around.

Niall    
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:36:10 AM by Niall Carlton »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2015, 06:39:25 PM »
I'm not aware of any men only courses in England now RStG has rolled over. If the rumours are to be believed from members there is considerable pressure on Muirfield to hold the Open as the pros actually like playing there. I can imagine there would be considerable lobbying from the East Lothian community to keep the Open coming back.

Niall many of those HCEG members will also be members of Whites, Brooks, Boodles, Bucks, Pratt's, East India or Travellers all of which are men only.
Cave Nil Vino

Niall C

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 09:19:33 AM »
Mark

I don't doubt they are but that still won't stop pressure being applied. The older guys who are near retirement probably won't give a stuff but the slightly younger ones who are still looking to further their career might. As an example I'm aware of one member at a single sex club who has been a member for roughly a decade who enquired whether the club was considering going mixed sex. That member is in the legal profession. Now it's perfectly possible that in the years that that person has been a member that they have decided that a single sex club is wrong however from what I gather the member is more concerned about their career.

Niall

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 05:00:39 PM »
Hmmm if the lawyer is concerned then he should resign as all the single sex clubs have healthy waiting lists and 99.9% of clubs fit in with what he is looking for.
Cave Nil Vino

Niall C

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2015, 09:15:27 AM »
Mark

I suspect that he's wanting it both ways in the sense he wants to stay in the club, which has a certain amount of prestige and has great facilities/course while getting round the same sex issue.

As an aside, I know of at least one single sex club that isn't doing too well and you could get in quite readily if you had someone to nominate you. It has a terrific course as well.

Niall

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2015, 04:50:22 PM »
Niall what are the remaining men only clubs? I cannot think of any in England or Wales.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Pearce

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2015, 05:10:41 PM »
The Northumberland, technically.  Though it shares the course and clubhouse with Gosforth Park Ladies and is very nearly effectively one club.  Which is a lot of progress in 15 years.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2015, 06:20:23 PM »
Looks like Luffness New, Glasgow, Prestwick and possibly Western Gailes are men only.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back