News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wade Whitehead

Re: 5th Annual Saul Shootout for The George Cup: October 17, 2015
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2015, 07:12:02 PM »
So, guys, what did you think of the golf course?

Tournament?

Prizes?  Favors?

Company?

Food?

WW

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2015, 07:12:29 PM »
I'll start by saying: I haven't enjoyed better playing surfaces in a long, long time, if ever.

WW

Scott Weersing

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2015, 08:32:21 PM »

I love the format of the tournament as it fits the difficulty of the course. As to the greens, you have to be brave and forget the three putt or four putt on the previous hole. I love playing the back slopes on the greens like on 9, pin in the front, and on 11, coming in from the left side of the green. We tried to use the back stop on no. 14 but the hole was too close to the slope and so the ball would not stop rolling.

It was great this year that there were team prizes and so most everyone won something.

I wish I had a home course as great as Ballyhack and was able to organize a tournament as fun as the George Cup.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2015, 08:00:18 AM »
Another thing that I love about Ballyhack is that it is fast and firm. I am used to bermuda grassed courses that are over watered and so the ball lands soft. At Ballyhack, the ball rolls and rolls across the fairways (see no. 2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16). Another great aspect is that the rough is firm also. I had several tee shots hit the rough on sides of fairways and then bounce back into the fairway, (no. 6 for example).

Andy Hughes

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2015, 03:48:34 PM »
Scott, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you took a slew of pictures. Will you be posting them? I especially like the ones that show the exotic and never-before-seen parts of the course that Kevin finds. Best of all are the ones that show him slashing and burning his way to par from those spots (will all the respect due a former champion!)
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2015, 07:51:02 PM »
Scott, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you took a slew of pictures. Will you be posting them? I especially like the ones that show the exotic and never-before-seen parts of the course that Kevin finds. Best of all are the ones that show him slashing and burning his way to par from those spots (will all the respect due a former champion!)

Well, the picture he had that captured both #4 and #8 green can only be taken from way right on #4, and I was there (but missed the 10 foot par putt).

I didn't really find anything too exotic or never-seen-before this time around.  Hold on, let me correct that.  I actually striped my 3 wood on #14 each day to the dead center of the fairway, leaving only 105-120 in each time.  Considering all the "other" places I've been on that hole in the last 5 years, that was very rare.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2015, 09:26:07 PM »

Tournament?

Prizes?  Favors?

Company?

Food?

WW

I think second place deserves a great prize. :-)
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

George Freeman

« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2015, 02:41:42 PM »
Here are some photos from the George Cup!

Why is it that Mr. JC Jones is the only one in this picture that looks like a criminal?

Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2015, 09:46:17 PM »

Golf course is good. Playing surfaces were very good. A bit of fire as we've all discussed, but incredibly consistent.

Tournament?

I thought about this more on the way home. I like the format. I would suggest thinking about how much weight to give the skill prizes relative to the size of the field. It hasn't come into play yet that I'm aware of, but I think the possibility exists that it could. Which may not be a bad thing.

Prizes?  Favors?

Hard to top the prizes offered. Or the favors.

Company?

Food?

Food was very good.

WW

Scott Weersing

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2015, 11:21:07 AM »
I did not get to see Kevin play from the hard to find areas. I did see Jeff hit the log on no. 1 fairway that is to prevent carts from driving up the hill.

The most exotic thing I saw was the herd of goats near 15 green.

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2015, 08:58:36 PM »
I left out the comment on company...

Other than the late night serenading by duet that was surely intended for the goats in the adjacent quarters...

The company was enjoyable.

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2015, 10:50:30 PM »
Scott forgot to mention that I hit the same log twice!

The Course was a beast, but fair as you began to understand where to miss. And, if you played the right set of tees. On Saturday I participated in and witnessed some 4 putting. My one small regret was the pin position stayed the same for Saturday and Sunday.

The format was great. The shamble took the pressure off the demand of the course and helped welcome you to the challenge. The change up of tees for the afternoon 9 added another way to see the course. It was very handy to have the blind draw pair me with Livingston in the afternoon. Scott and I worked in a final 9 on Saturday and then 36 on Sunday again. Ballyhack really delivers on having 18 unique and memorable holes.

The company and food were terrific. If you can score and invite, it is so worth joining this crew for a great weekend!
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2015, 09:36:40 PM »
Jeff: We planned to cut new pin positions on Sunday, but the heavy frost prevented it.  Such are the perils of a fall event and a field that needs to drive home.

Glad you enjoyed the weekend and hope you will return.

WW

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back