News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Hensley

MacGregor Downs in Cary, NC was recently purchased and major changes are taking place. I drove by the other day and the lake around the course had been drained significantly. I was told they were putting in new water pumps/irrigation.

I briefly saw the master plan in the main building, and there are significant changes being made to the course. The only thing I know for sure is that the greens are being regrassed (bent to bermuda) and many trees are being cut down to help with sun and air flow to the course.

I also saw a few changes made to specific holes (making this green larger, doing something with the bunker over there, etc.). I'm wondering if anyone here knows of more specific changes that are being made regarding the architecture of the course.

hhuffines

Re: Any members that can comment on MacGregor Downs course changes?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 08:31:04 PM »
I'm not a member there but have always enjoyed playing their course.  I got a chance to play there today and really like the changes they have made.  The greens are very firm and have a lot of interesting options from the fairways and chipping areas.  They did remove a lot of trees which open up some beautiful views across the lake.

It does seem as though they are moving slowly as there are lots of stripped areas (like #2) along the roughs and tree lines.  It appears they may be planting some tall fescues in some areas but not sure about others.  I hope the new owners will keep investing in the course because it could be really good, especially for our area.

I look forward to going back when the course is dry and firmer.  I hope anyone with information will chime in.

Philip Hensley

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 01:01:30 AM »
I will be playing there next month and can't wait to see the changes myself.

What did you think of the big change to #14 ( I believe). You cross the street and tee off, they moved the tees up and to the right, near the bathroom. They took out a big overhanging tree on the left and put in a big bunker in the middle of the fairway. A drive able par 4 for the long bombers now.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 08:45:29 PM »
If they are going bent-to-bermuda on the greens they better be long finished already.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

hhuffines

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 09:13:52 PM »
The greens are finished and are very nice. 

I guess I like the new design on the 14 but I liked the challenge of driving through those trees before.  I drove close to the green and had a difficult chip over a mound to a part of the green running away.  Tough shot.

I'd like to see them open up the 13th landing area.

As Andy once told Gomer about a girl, "don't over expect..."  Tee to green the course is great but you'll probably be puzzled by some of the stripped areas that are basically mud.  I think it will be a solid Doak 5-6 when they finish up. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back