News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Seitz

Re: My First Born Turns to Alcohol
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2015, 01:42:53 PM »
Interesting to see a few recommendations here that make it over to the UK.  SN Torpedo is a good palate calibration exercise, so just as I'd take an Arble recommendation for a golf course a Thurman recco for an IPA looks a good bet.  I've always been a fan of Stone Brewing and their beers and am a bit surprised not to see one of their IPAs mentioned here?

You can't really go wrong with their standard IPA.  I think of them much like Lagunitas, not my favorite exactly, but definitely worth drinking.  I'm in charge of stocking our refrigerator at work (we keep a beer fridge for after hours) and Stone IPA is in the rotation for the IPA section.  They have a really good series of fresh double IPAs as well, but I'd put those in a different category than a standard IPA.  Their barrel aging program leaves a bit to be desired, but that's a small complaint. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2015, 01:54:21 PM »
... In terms of beer I would make a strong argument it's the best in the world with a few fine ones to choose from:

Funny David,

I recently read an article that said German beer has been so entrenched for so long their craft is stale, and that Germans are turning to microbrews from Americans that have gone to Germany to improve the beer there.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2015, 05:42:14 PM »
This thread, though certainly interesting, has always seemed better suited to the mainstream media than to a site devoted to GCA, and nearly 3200 GCA views and 80 responses later, mainstream is exactly what it has become: http://www.golf.com/courses-and-travel/first-tom-doak-designed-course-become-hops-farm

"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2015, 06:00:29 PM »
I've always been a fan of Stone Brewing and their beers and am a bit surprised not to see one of their IPAs mentioned here?

I've never cared for Stone, much prefer Great Divide. Every city seems to have their own locals popping up these days, in Charlotte my favorites are NoDa's Hop Drop & Roll IPA and several others, along with Triple-C and Birdsong.

Steve Lang

« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2016, 08:49:45 PM »
     Last year I posted some pics of the hop sticks, this year things have grown quite well, but I still curse when driving past on M-72

is Ben Cowan's generation really to blame ::) :o ;D

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

BCowan

« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2016, 10:25:26 PM »
is Ben Cowan's generation really to blame

ideologues are to blame.  Stoatin Brae is open!  When one door closes another one opens  ;) :o 8)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2016, 10:57:40 PM »
By coincidence, I was out at High Pointe ten days ago, on my way back from the Renaissance Cup at Forest Dunes.  A writer asked about it and I said I thought they hadn't torn up the holes out in the back 40, so we went out to see.  Sure enough, holes 10-15 are "intact," if that's the right word ... they logged all the pines between 11-12-13-14, so the land looks remarkably similar to how it looked when I first saw it.  It's too bad six-hole courses aren't a thing, that would be a pretty good one.

I intend to go out and survey the 13th green this fall so I can build a replica of it somewhere, someday.

It was very interesting to see it again after so long ... it was hillier than I remembered and those holes were quite a hike, obviously the work of a much younger designer with strong legs.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2016, 01:46:43 AM »
I feel your pain, Tom.

I'm a cabinetmaker by trade, and my first big job under my own name was fitting out a pub in Birmingham. The job went well and I was immensely proud of it.

Five years or so later I was back in Birmingham at an exhibition, and took a couple of friends for a drink to see my handiwork.

The whole interior had been ripped out and remodeled.

:o
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 01:48:23 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Doug Wright

« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2016, 08:07:31 PM »
I intend to go out and survey the 13th green this fall so I can build a replica of it somewhere, someday.

Tom, please do, though I'm surprised you haven't done so already...
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Steve Lang

Re: My First Born Turns to Alcohol New
« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2016, 08:24:28 PM »
 8)  Tom,

Did you go south on the 2-track at the end of Arnold Road to get in there or did you get permission from the hopsters??

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 06:08:10 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2016, 09:19:35 PM »
RE: Commonground goes to pot

burned-out greens?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Bill Brightly

« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2016, 09:57:17 PM »
If Pennsylvania ever legalizes pot, Stoned Wall is a natural...

Steve Lang

« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2016, 10:26:54 PM »
 8)  If they've logged it, they'll flatten as needed and stick it, though maybe they could be persuaded to allow some golfers out there!  Perhaps that cash flow would be better than watching the hops grow?  Would love to see the view again from the 14th Hogsback upper tee. Dang, I knew we should have taken the jeep back there this summer!!!

So maybe TD you could talk to them, a reversible course?

The voice of Inverness"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2016, 03:12:49 AM »
8)  Tom,

Did you go south on the 2-track at the end of Arnold Road to get in there or did you get permission from the hipsters??

Parked at the gate and trespassed, my usual m.o.  I figure I can always talk my way out of trouble.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back