News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Warren

When was the last course in your state completed?
« on: February 09, 2015, 09:20:21 AM »
Just thought about this recently for my state....Kentucky.  We all know that new courses are being built sparingly, but I think this can give an idea of just how slow things have gotten. 

The best i can tell, the most recently completed new designs in Kentucky were in 2007.  I am not sure which was the last to open so I am throwing them both on here.  Keene Run in Nicholasville (just outside Lexington) was a collaboration of Keith Foster and Drew Rogers and Heritage Hill in Shepherdsville (just outside Louisville) is a Doug Beach design.

I very well could be missing some courses, but these are what I am aware of.  Very interested to hear about similar states.  We know some will be very recent like Florida among others.

Matthew Petersen

Re: When was the last course in your state completed?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 11:43:06 AM »
The newest course in Arizona opened on Saturday.

It's been in the ground for a few years, though.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 11:56:25 AM »
Great question!

I am pretty sure the most recent one here in SC is the Gary Player designed Cliffs at Mt. Park in Travelers Rest, SC.   It opened completely in the spring of last year (2014) I believe.  Several of the holes had been done for quite some time and may have been open on a limited basis waiting for some environmental red tape to be cleared up.  Several of the holes have a trout stream running through them and that tied things up for quite some time from what I heard.

I heard rumors of a new project on the drawing board down by Orangeburg somewhere, don't know the status.

I would be interested to see what the answer is in different parts of the country.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 11:58:23 AM »
Last year here in Arkansas.

Mike Schott

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 12:40:23 PM »
I'm not 100% sure about my state of Michigan. It might be Harbor Shores which opened in 2010.

Chris Luce

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 07:54:18 PM »
I think it was new Municipal in Laredo in late 2013, but lots of Texas residents on here who could confirm.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 08:23:58 PM »
I think it was new Municipal in Laredo in late 2013, but lots of Texas residents on here who could confirm.

New courses I guess so, several renovations. Bluejack is supposed to open in October or November.

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 08:38:21 PM »
Lake of Isles and Wintonbury Hills were both opened in 2005 in Connecticut.

Paul Jones

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 08:56:22 PM »
Country Club at the Golden Nugget, in Lake Charles. Opening in April 2015.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

John Foley

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 09:14:02 PM »
Here in Upstate / Western NY I have it as 2010 for:

Seneca Hickory Stick - Niagara Falls
Champion Hills - Victor (outside Rochester)
Timber Banks - Syracuse

I think Lazy Swan in Saugerties might be 2011.

Pretty sure there is no plans for anything new in the foreseeable future.

Integrity in the moment of choice

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 09:50:48 PM »
Washington - 2014 Gamble Sands

Oregon  -2010 Old Macdonald (full course)  2012 Preserve at Bandon (13 hole par 3)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 09:52:57 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 06:08:11 AM »
I believe Black Oak in New Jersey, 2012.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 01:16:52 PM »
Massachusetts was Shining Rock in Northbridge.  Opened in 2012, after 9 years of false starts.  Haven't played it yet.

Vermont's was Jay Peak or Stowe Mountain Club in 2006/2007.

Rhode Island was Meadow Brook in 2009...but that was a 100% redo of an existing course.

Not sure about NH/Maine...would require more research.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Eric Morrison

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 06:01:59 AM »
In CT - The Apple Nine at Lyman Orchards opened in 2012. If big renovations are being considered, Mohegan Sun Country Club (formerly Pautipaug) opened in 2012, and Madison C.C. will be opening with a new renovation this year.
It is what it is.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 07:13:01 AM »
Applecross 2010, Might be the newest in Pennsylvania.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 07:26:54 AM »
Applecross 2010, Might be the newest in Pennsylvania.

In PA since 2006 (at least from Harrisburg east)

Private:
LedgeRock 2006

Public:
Royal Manchester Links 2010
Applecross 2010
Lederach 2006

and then there are the holes currently open at Heritage Creek
Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

Charlie Ray

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 10:07:54 AM »

Archie is Todd Eckenrode.   His website doesn't list any previous works,  Does anyone have any information on him or of the new course in Lake Charles?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 10:22:15 AM »

Archie is Todd Eckenrode.   His website doesn't list any previous works,  Does anyone have any information on him or of the new course in Lake Charles?

I think his most well known work is Barona Creek.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 11:11:08 AM »

Here is what I think for Virginia:

Potomac Shores, Jack Nicklaus, 2014 http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,58886.0.html

Full Cry at Keswick Hall, Pete Dye, 2014, http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,55375.msg1283183.html#msg1283183

Peter Zarlengo

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 11:12:27 AM »
In Colorado it's been almost six years since CommonGround opened in May 2009.That's a pretty remarkable lag in new construction in a place that saw heaps of new course openings the 15 years prior. The market was already over saturated with the kinds of courses being opened - housing development courses along the front range and high dollar private clubs being built in the mountains - the GFC just made sure the speculation on those kind of deals ground to a halt.

There's a new course set to kick off construction this year, an 8,000+ yard project in the northern part of the state.

Jason Topp

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 11:22:28 AM »
Off the top of my head I cannot think of a Minnesota course that is much less than 10 years old.  I am sure I am missing something.

BHoover

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 11:30:13 AM »
The most recent course in Ohio of which I'm aware is The Quarry in Canton, which was designed by Brian Huntley and opened in 2006(ish).

Steve Burrows

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 11:43:29 AM »
Not entirely positive about this, but I am guessing that Indiana's most recently completed facility is the Pete Dye Golf Course at French Lick in 2009. 
...to admit my mistakes most frankly, or to say simply what I believe to be necessary for the defense of what I have written, without introducing the explanation of any new matter so as to avoid engaging myself in endless discussion from one topic to another.     
               -Rene Descartes

Brad Tufts

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2015, 11:46:57 AM »
In Colorado it's been almost six years since CommonGround opened in May 2009.That's a pretty remarkable lag in new construction in a place that saw heaps of new course openings the 15 years prior. The market was already over saturated with the kinds of courses being opened - housing development courses along the front range and high dollar private clubs being built in the mountains - the GFC just made sure the speculation on those kind of deals ground to a halt.

There's a new course set to kick off construction this year, an 8,000+ yard project in the northern part of the state.

What is that new one in Northern CO called?

While looking around for Maine/NH...I came up with Old Marsh (Silva, 2008) and the Penobscot Valley renovation (Silva, 2008) for Maine, and Montcalm GC (Sargent, 2005) and the Bretton Woods renovation (Silva, 2008) for New Hampshire.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Dave McCollum

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2015, 12:07:32 PM »
In Idaho Huntsman Springs, 2010 or so.  David M. Kidd, architect.  Also an 9 hole, par 3, Pebble Ponds, Filer, ID, about the same time.  Don't know if there was an architect. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back