News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Re: Bucket List Question: Bandon vs Streamsong
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2015, 10:09:34 AM »
Phil:

Let me put it this way: if one had to chose the place worth returning to on a regular basis - say, once every year or two - no doubt it would be Bandon.

I totally agree with this sentiment. I'm headed to Bandon this May for my sixth trip in ten years. Each experience is better than the prior trips.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

John Cowden

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2015, 11:47:53 AM »
I concur.  Just returned from my annual January week at Bandon.  Although I can be a little nostalgic for the one course/one building 1999 vibe, the "resort" (a misnomer; it's "a golf place") is plainly one of the best places in the world to enjoy this great game.  And the best place in North America. 

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2015, 10:22:59 PM »
Phil,

You really can't go wrong with either choice, but, as Jim Hoak indicated, the time of year may be the deciding factor.

Frank M

Re: Bucket List Question: Bandon vs Streamsong New
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2015, 02:22:41 AM »
I would say Cape Breton and side with Adam. Cabot is spectacular and Highlands Links equally beyond words.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 10:15:31 PM by Frank M »

Phil Benedict

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2015, 10:19:04 AM »
Quite frankly (no pun intended), I would say Cape Breton and side with Adam. Cabot is spectacular and Highlands Links equally beyond words.

I've been to Bandon once and early (only Bandon and Pacific). Having said that, I have no inclination of returning unless I get there in very specific circumstances — happen to be in the area and sometime in the off-season catching decent weather. I'm trying to think of a way to put this gently, but I just don't see golf being about $250+ rounds, which are realistically more when you factor in lodging and possibly caddies. Are they great courses? Indeed. Some of the best in the world? Absolutely. But I'm satisfied with my one and done situation there. I just don't care to hang around a bunch of jetsetters zipping across the country -— I can just stay at work for that.

I have not played Streamsong as of yet so I will not comment there. 

Having been fortunate enough to head over to Ireland/U.K. in the past, there are just so many great links experiences for literally a 4th of the cost. I'm talking courses that are about tradition, culture, community, etc....just the full on experience. I'd take a round at a Northwest Ireland links any day over either of Bandon or Streamsong. Like I said, the courses I played (Bandon/Pacific) are definitely great courses, but they aren't the whole shebang. Actually, I think the Northwest of Ireland is maybe THE best value golf vacation in the world.

[/quote

If it were just me I would choose Scotland as the destination.  My sense is that it's unsurpassed as far as authenicity, while Bandon will likely be a bit corporate.  But so is Pinehurst and I loved it there.  It's a whole day even if you only play 18.  Have some lunch; hit some balls; work on your short game.  I am thinking Bandon offers a similar ambiance for people who enjoy hanging around a golf course all day.

My tentative game plan is to assemble the group at some airport hotel in Portland;  drive to Bandon the next morning; play 18 in the afternoon; spend 3 nights there; finish with a morning round on day 5 and head back to Portland for the return.  So we get 5 days of golf out of 3 nights at Bandon.  Most of us have some sort of hotel rewards so lodging at the airport will cost next to nothing.

It's still expensive but for those of us who are only doing this sort of thing once it seems like the nearest to true links golf in Noth America.  Cabot will still be there for those who want more links golf down the road.

jeffwarne

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2015, 11:58:08 AM »

Actually, I think the Northwest of Ireland is maybe THE best value golf vacation in the world.

Frank,
To quote Patrick Reed   "SHHHHHHHHHHHHH"
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jud_T

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2015, 01:06:41 PM »
Catch the connecting flight to North Bend.  It'll save you 4 hours each way.  Plane ticket- $250; an extra round at Old Mac?  Priceless...once you factor in replay rates vs. a single round, rental car and gas, it's a no-brainer...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:12:19 PM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Cowden

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2015, 02:13:16 PM »
I fully agree about the specialness, and the value, of NW Ireland.  It's also a marvelous gateway to Northern Ireland; Ballyliffin is less than two hours from Portrush.  But those dissing Bandon for its costs, jet-setters, weather or remoteness simply haven't done it right, or are contradicting themselves, at least as regards weather and remoteness as Nova Scotia and old Scotia (Scotland) are remarkably similar in those respects (depending, of course, on where you're coming from and your affinity for Goretex).  The last three January visits I've made to Bandon I've never paid a green fee more than $75 nor lodging more than $120/nt.  As for the weather, 21+ rounds (the+ for The Preserve, Sheep Ranch and, now, PunchBowl) saw one round with a smattering of foggy drizzle (Bandon haar), two holes of rain (remember, in 21 rounds) and at least 8 or 9 rounds with temps 60 or better.  Lastly, if the thought that the guy who just bought you a Guiness might have arrived via his own jet is offensive to you, then simply head a few miles into town for as much genuine folk as you'll find anywhere.

Doug Wright

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2015, 02:19:44 PM »
Catch the connecting flight to North Bend.  It'll save you 4 hours each way.  Plane ticket- $250; an extra round at Old Mac?  Priceless...once you factor in replay rates vs. a single round, rental car and gas, it's a no-brainer...

...unless your flight in or out of North Bend is cancelled, which can happen pretty often due to weather it seems. I actually like the drive from PDX to Bandon--the part from Drain to Reedsport along the Umpqua River is spectacular, one of my favorite drives in the USA.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2015, 02:22:52 PM »

...unless your flight in or out of North Bend is cancelled, which can happen pretty often due to weather it seems. I actually like the drive from PDX to Bandon--the part from Drain to Reedsport along the Umpqua River is spectacular, one of my favorite drives in the USA.

Yeah, this should be considered. Anecdotes are not evidence, but I turned up at North Bend for my flight back to SFO (where I was connecting to a Heathrow flight) to be told 'You're going to have a bit of a wait. The previous flight just left and the same plane is coming back for you". Conscious that it was a route prone to delays, I'd left four hours between my intended arrival time and the departure of the onward leg, but I only just made it. The American guys on the same flight all got on the phone as soon as they heard about the delay and started rebooking their onward connections; they all seemed used to it. My impression is that route gets a lot of delays.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2015, 03:09:24 PM »

Yeah, this should be considered. Anecdotes are not evidence, but I turned up at North Bend for my flight back to SFO (where I was connecting to a Heathrow flight) to be told 'You're going to have a bit of a wait. The previous flight just left and the same plane is coming back for you". Conscious that it was a route prone to delays, I'd left four hours between my intended arrival time and the departure of the onward leg, but I only just made it. The American guys on the same flight all got on the phone as soon as they heard about the delay and started rebooking their onward connections; they all seemed used to it. My impression is that route gets a lot of delays.
For this reason, I have gone through Eugene the last few times I have been. You get the beautiful drive and less delays (still some delays though). Plus, it is usually a good bit cheaper, however once you factor in car rental, it isn't much cheaper.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 09:01:56 PM by Stephen Davis »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2015, 03:51:07 PM »
Not so useful if you're trying to get back to the UK though!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

William_G

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2015, 10:39:10 PM »
Not so useful if you're trying to get back to the UK though!

EUG-SFO-LHR ....depart EUG around 3 or 4 pm and be in favorite London pub the next afternoon for several pints

Bandon is not a replica of the links courses in or anything in the UK, it's just Bandon, and the architecture speaks for itself despite it's youthfulness

I've played in shorts at least once in every month of the year, but have also worn rain pants at least once every month of the year, LOL

the best months to schedule optimum golf is Sept. thru early Nov....usually light wind and dry weather....

plan for the worst and hope for the best

8)
It's all about the golf!

Jeff Tang

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2015, 07:46:55 AM »
I've been to Bandon twice and Streamsong once. There's something special about being at Bandon. Playing in the cooler temps right next to the ocean on a great variety of courses is about as good as it gets. The courses at Streamsong themselves are both excellent but for some reason Streamsong doesn't quite capture the feeling of golf that Bandon seems to deliver. Hard to describe but for me I guess it's an intangible. 
So bad it's good!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2015, 08:05:20 AM »
I've been at Streamsong the last two days, and I'm pretty happy here.  There are an awful lot of really good golf holes on one property. 

Obviously, Bandon is special, but why just compare Streamsong to Bandon?  If you threw Pinehurst, Doral and Sea Island into the discussion, it might rate a bit higher.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2015, 11:25:36 AM »
Bandon is pretty special, plus I think there are plenty of things to do if you have a car.  Drive up to Cape Arago for an experience you'll never forget - whales and a large variety of seals/sea lions.   Drive south toward Gold Beach and take a jet boat up the Rogue.

What's really neat is that Bandon now has live HD webcams:   http://www.bandondunesgolf.com/course-cameras

William_G

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2015, 02:14:41 PM »
yes, the cameras do get your golf heart rate up, no doubt
It's all about the golf!

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2015, 04:29:46 PM »
There are some practical factors. Since you are in the east you can fly to Streamsong in the morning and play that day which is far more strenuous going to Bandon. There's no carts in Bandon so a second 18 can be tough on older players. Bandon is the best but there are those shortcomings.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2015, 05:58:44 PM »
Bandon was not in good condition recently.

One has to wonder if funds are an issue.

William_G

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2015, 06:46:42 PM »

LOL
It's all about the golf!

William_G

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2015, 06:56:25 PM »
Jerry,

United Airlines and Alaska Airlines both offer one connection flights  JFK-EUG arrive before 1:00 pm the 1st of September....getting you to Bandon by 4:00 in a car and with Sunset around 8:00 pm, you are good to go, except for the jet lag

or

JFK or EWR-PDX non-stop in the evening getting in around 8:00 pm, stay overnight then use jet lag and start driving at 4:00 am to get your 8:00 am tee time

;D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 07:18:30 PM by William_G »
It's all about the golf!

Phil Benedict

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2015, 07:37:07 PM »
Jerry,

United Airlines and Alaska Airlines both offer one connection flights  JFK-EUG arrive before 1:00 pm the 1st of September....getting you to Bandon by 4:00 in a car and with Sunset around 8:00 pm, you are good to go, except for the jet lag

or

JFK or EWR-PDX non-stop in the evening getting in around 8:00 pm, stay overnight then use jet lag and start driving at 4:00 am to get your 8:00 am tee time

;D

Eugene may be problematical for people coming from other parts of the country (Cincinnati and Minneapolis).  Driving from Portland in the morning and playing in the afternoon is most likely the best option for our group.

William_G

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2015, 10:11:17 PM »
thanks for asking anyway Phil...yes Cincinnati in and of itself presents connection problems on the return from EUG, Minneapolis not as much

it is always interesting looking at airline routes in airline magazines as it is so heavy where all the population is in the east and light in the west where there isn't anybody

look forward to hearing how it all goes, let me know if you need anything as I live in Eugene

have fun
It's all about the golf!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2015, 09:38:46 PM »

LOL

William,

Are you aware of the budget currently devoted to each course ?

William_G

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2015, 09:49:45 PM »

LOL

William,

Are you aware of the budget currently devoted to each course ?

hahaha
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back