News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Russ Arbuthnot

Bunker size when used as an optical illusion
« on: January 08, 2015, 12:13:58 PM »
I'm trying to decide whether a bunker should be large or small when being used as an optical illusion. The example is when the bunker is well short of the green with the intention of make it appear that the green is right behind the bunker. Let's say the hole is a long, 230 yard par 3, over gently rising land.

I'm thinking that the bunker should be larger than "normal". If it is too small, the correct effect won't be achieved. Is this correct?

I apologize if this has already been discussed. I did do a quick search, but couldn't find a clear answer.

Jason Thurman

Re: Bunker size when used as an optical illusion
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 12:24:09 PM »
Trick question. The bunker should be grassed over. It is not in play and optical illusions are worthless in the age of rangefinders.

Honestly I would have thought smaller, but almost anyone will give you a better answer than mine.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 12:29:22 PM »
The way to accomplish what you're seeking is not via bunker size. Rather, build a small ridge running perpendicular to the line of play. You may or may not tie a bunker to this mini ridge. The mini ridge should be of gentle slope and "correspond" to the eyeline view of the green, either from the POV of the fairway or the tee, depending on the hole and your intent.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 12:41:52 PM »
Trick question. The bunker should be grassed over. It is not in play and optical illusions are worthless in the age of rangefinders.

The bunkers short of the first green at Olympic are still effective even with rangefinders.  They appear close to the green and it is difficult to judge how much distance you have between them and the green because you can't easily determine the green's depth.  Also, visitors have heard over and over again that there is only one fairway bunker at Olympic so they figure that the bunkers on #1 have to be close to the green.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Russ Arbuthnot

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 02:15:22 PM »
The way to accomplish what you're seeking is not via bunker size. Rather, build a small ridge running perpendicular to the line of play. You may or may not tie a bunker to this mini ridge. The mini ridge should be of gentle slope and "correspond" to the eyeline view of the green, either from the POV of the fairway or the tee, depending on the hole and your intent.

Thanks Mark. I guess I was picturing a bunker built into a rise like you mention. Not a bunker sitting flat against the ground. So, while you're saying that the bunker is optional, I'm still wondering IF you have a bunker, whether it should be larger or smaller than "normal". Is it something that just has to be done by eye, and each architect will probably do it differently?

I had a feeling that the range finder issue might come up. That or the "after you've played it once, it's no longer valid" argument, but I still feel that these types of features can unsettle the mind of the golfer regardless of whether he knows the exact yardage or has played the hole many times, and are therefore still valid.

Here is the hole I am currently looking at:

I'm trying to figure out what the purpose of the bunker on the left (from tee to green) is, and why it is so large. My first thought was as an optical illusion. Second thought was for strategic purposes for shorter hitters, but it wouldn't really apply to players who can fly it to the green.

Thoughts?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 04:19:42 PM »
This explains it all in 28 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS12p0Zqlt0

Russ Arbuthnot

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 04:51:34 PM »
But Ally, if that were the case, the bunker, if intended for illusion, would be much smaller, and not much larger than normal. No?

Or, is it because the bunker is so large that it makes one think that the green, while really quite far away, is right behind the bunker? In that case, wouldn't the green need to be much larger than the one posted in the image?

Paul Gray

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 05:26:00 PM »
Whilst small would seem to be the obvious answer, I would suggest that the real effect is created by the ridge suggested by Mark.

Either that or build a fairly normal bunker and put a giant rake in it, thereby tricking the mind.  ;D
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 06:23:46 PM »
Well yes, what Mark said is the best answer. Tie the top of the ridge in to the sight line for the front of the green and you have the perfect deception. Portmarnock does this perfectly on 2 or 3 holes, another reason why it is clearly the best course in the world.

But I just wanted to post the Father Ted video...

And in theory, it's also the right answer. The best way to deceive with bunkers is make the closer one smaller and the further away one a little larger, thus giving the impression (if well done) that they are the same size and same distance from the eye.

Paul Gray

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 06:44:50 PM »

But I just wanted to post the Father Ted video...

EXACTLY my thinking!  ;D
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Philip Hensley

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 07:15:46 PM »
The optical illusion still works even when you have a range finder. The reasons above (how much room do you truly have to work with), but also, your brain "knows" the correct distance but visually it still doesn't register in your subconscious mind that the bunker isn't really in play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back