News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

SL_Solow

Re: Southern Pines GC Walking Fee?
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2015, 05:03:40 PM »
BCowan;  When you first came on this board, you immediately became involved in a series of vitriolic exchanges with a number of members including me.  Your propensity to engage in ad hominem attacks has surfaced again.  Candidly, I am reluctant to engage in another round because little has ever become of our prior discussions.  But because others view the site, I will try once again.

I am glad you concede that US clubs need carts.  Your solution to almost all problems is to increase membership.  As a long time professional dealing with economically troubled enterprises, I have learned that the universal answer to fixing a failing enterprise is to increase sales.  I have also learned that this "obvious solution" rarely works.  In this case, that solution assumes that there are sufficient members to fill the courses and that the elasticity of demand is such that by lowering the cost, membership will grow sufficiently to makeup the loss of revenue per member.  It also assumes that cost is the main reason clubs or tee sheets are not full.  Finally it assumes that the existing members who have created the model at their clubs, would support the changes.  I submit that there is no data to support any of these assumptions.  I also suspect that your experience is insufficient to justify reliance on your assertions.

Interestingly, you suggest that there is no cost to the club for a walker.   There is a cost to the club for every round.  All overhead, whether it is to maintain the course, the clubhouse, pay the staff or otherwise is borne by the members.  If you start with my assumption, that properly priced, cart fees will cover all direct and marginal costs of cart usage and contribute a profit, then cart users contribute more as their dues/greens fees are equal to the walker and the profit goes to the bottom line.  Everybody brings costs.  Carts add costs but priced correctly, the costs are offset and they even contribute to the bottom line. That said, I don't like them and use them only at facilities where they are required.

Similarly, your suggestion to fill in pools and end other services that are unprofitable is poorly reasoned. It assumes that the cost will disappear and that membership will remain constant, or any loss in membership will be made up by those flocking to join the club with fewer amenities but a lower cost.  Again, no data.  Moreover, if it were that easy, those in control of clubs would have already tried your solution.

Understand, I have no objection to any club that decides it wants to proceed in this way.  My entire premise is that there are a variety of ways a club or public course can structure itself.  Each club must find a formula that works for its members.  I have had a great time at no frills all golf facilities.  I have been unimpressed by the golf experience at some high prestige tracks.  But I support each membership/owner's right to determine what works for them.

Finally regarding some of your more personal remarks.  I may have views about the inevitability of contraction in the market, but I do more than pontificate about it on the internet.  I contribute a significant amount of my time as an officer/director of one of the largest Golf Associations in the country where I spend a fair amount of my time working with our member clubs to assist them in remaining viable.  I suspect I have had more discussions with decision makers in this area than most and I have seen financials for a few clubs.  But I suppose that qualifies me as one who wants contraction in the market.

Similarly, your dismissal of the charitable contributions of many clubs strikes me as uninformed and ill mannered at best. Caddy programs in Chicago contribute to the Evans Scholar program via contributions from virtually every member.  My club has its own scholarship program on top of the Evans for caddies and other employees and their families.  Additionally, many clubs, including mine, require applicants to demonstrate a history of charitable giving on the theory that those who are fortunate enough to be able to enjoy a private club should give back.  Your suggestion that this is some form of hokum is insulting.  What you apparently refuse to recognize is that clubs can be more than a place to play golf.  Again, there is nothing wrong with the golf only model if that is what works for a club.  But your blanket dismissal of other models reveals a lack of intellectual flexibility and an ignorance of the market.

Finally, and I hesitate to even discuss it, I refer to your suggestion that I am a snob.  I have been on this board for a long time.  A lot of the folks here have come to know me.  I am a lot of things, but one thing I am certain I am not, is a snob.  What I am is a stickler for clear thinking and careful research.  I am also one who, having made a living for 40 years engaged in argumentation that was more meaningful than idle debates about a mutual interest, insists that arguments be carried on in a respectful manner recognizing that one can only defeat an argument by establishing its weaknesses, not by attacking the proponent.  To the extent my remarks here are deemed an attack on you, I apologize.  I don't know you.  They are intended to be a critique of your arguments and the manner in which they have been made.  If that reflects on the proponent, it is an unfortunate byproduct.

jeffwarne

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2015, 05:13:03 PM »
Jeff,

User fee totally diminishes one reason for joining a private club. 

Why then is there a charge for beer or food or lockers or carts or trollies?
What if I want to drink 5 days a week and you want to play golf?
Why would you charge me a drinking fee while you can play without a user fee?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2015, 05:14:56 PM »
Thank you, Mr. Solow, for an extremely articulate, reasoned contribution to a discussion largely devoid of same.

Jamey

BCowan

« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2015, 05:24:29 PM »
Jeff,

you pay dues to play Golf at a Golf club.  Beer, locker, a trolley that's not ur's it is extra.  Join an Elks club if you wanna drink 5 days a week.  We don't have drinking fees, BYOA. 

Jud_T

« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2015, 05:31:52 PM »
Thank you, Mr. Solow, for an extremely articulate, reasoned contribution to a discussion largely devoid of same.

Jamey

True.  Personally this is what came to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIdUlp3QAsk

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JC Jones

« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2015, 05:34:41 PM »
Jeff,

you pay dues to play Golf at a Golf club.  Beer, locker, a trolley that's not ur's it is extra.  Join an Elks club if you wanna drink 5 days a week.  We don't have drinking fees, BYOA.  

You don't have alcohol at the public course at which you are a season pass holder because alcohol is prohibited on all UM campus property.  I wonder if you'd like to amend the above so as to not publicly admit to violating policy.

http://radrick.umich.edu/wp-content/uploads/info-guide-14.pdf
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 05:43:24 PM by JC Jones »
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2015, 05:43:48 PM »
Jeff,

you pay dues to play Golf at a Golf club.  Beer, locker, a trolley that's not ur's it is extra.  Join an Elks club if you wanna drink 5 days a week.  We don't have drinking fees, BYOA. 

You don't have alcohol at the public course of which you are a season pass holder because alcohol is prohibited on all UM campus property.  I wonder if you'd like to amend the above so as to not publicly admit to violating policy.

I read through that sincerely hoping that you were wrong. A golf club where alcohol is prohibited! Good God. A sober man should not have to deal with my golf game,

jeffwarne

« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2015, 05:52:38 PM »
Jeff,

You don't have alcohol at the public course of which you are a season pass holder because alcohol is prohibited on all UM campus property.  I wonder if you'd like to amend the above so as to not publicly admit to violating policy.

I read through that sincerely hoping that you were wrong. A golf club where alcohol is prohibited! Good God. A sober man should not have to deal with my golf game,

Alcohol is not permitted on UM campus?
Do they close their eyes at football games?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

BCowan

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2015, 05:57:20 PM »
BCowan;  When you first came on this board, you immediately became involved in a series of vitriolic exchanges with a number of members including me.  Your propensity to engage in ad hominem attacks has surfaced again.  Candidly, I am reluctant to engage in another round because little has ever become of our prior discussions.  But because others view the site, I will try once again.
Yes, and many of the comments made by you and others I felt where in very poor taste too.  I know a fresh breathe of clean air is good from time to time.  It is difficult to on my end engaging in discussions as well.

I am glad you concede that US clubs need carts.  Your solution to almost all problems is to increase membership.  As a long time professional dealing with economically troubled enterprises, I have learned that the universal answer to fixing a failing enterprise is to increase sales.  I have also learned that this "obvious solution" rarely works.  In this case, that solution assumes that there are sufficient members to fill the courses and that the elasticity of demand is such that by lowering the cost, membership will grow sufficiently to makeup the loss of revenue per member.  It also assumes that cost is the main reason clubs or tee sheets are not full.  Finally it assumes that the existing members who have created the model at their clubs, would support the changes.  I submit that there is no data to support any of these assumptions.  I also suspect that your experience is insufficient to justify reliance on your assertions.
I haven't seen any of your ''walking fees to gain more revenue'' work, mine have.  I have many friends in the golf business.  If the course is a top golf course and has an empty tee sheet, Cost is a big factor especially non affluent areas.  Of course, many members at clubs don't own business and as Mr Mucci's friend and others in the Golf Business say ''members lose their minds and all common sense when they drive through the gates of their golf course''.  That don't make much needed changes till it's too late. I also suspect that your experience is insufficient to justify reliance on your assertions another example of an elitist comment.  What is that saying about making an assumption?  Studies can be vastly flawed and the outcome can yield desired outcomes by the ones doing the collection.  I much prefer horse sense, experience, and common sense.  I will gander at data.

Interestingly, you suggest that there is no cost to the club for a walker.   There is a cost to the club for every round.  All overhead, whether it is to maintain the course, the clubhouse, pay the staff or otherwise is borne by the members.  If you start with my assumption, that properly priced, cart fees will cover all direct and marginal costs of cart usage and contribute a profit, then cart users contribute more as their dues/greens fees are equal to the walker and the profit goes to the bottom line.  Everybody brings costs.  Carts add costs but priced correctly, the costs are offset and they even contribute to the bottom line. That said, I don't like them and use them only at facilities where they are required.There is a cost to the member in the 6 months he or she is most likely not using the facility.  Your monthly dues go to pay for maint.  Cart fees are very high in affluent areas, and add to the bottom line to pay for fu fu and other extra services that aren't basic necessities.  The walker who pays his monthly dues is paying for the maint, staff, and necessities.  So depending on the club's location and model that varies greatly.  Taking a caddy doesn't contribute to the bottom line, other than possible savings in maint.

Similarly, your suggestion to fill in pools and end other services that are unprofitable is poorly reasoned. It assumes that the cost will disappear and that membership will remain constant, or any loss in membership will be made up by those flocking to join the club with fewer amenities but a lower cost.  Again, no data.  Moreover, if it were that easy, those in control of clubs would have already tried your solution.Filling in pools is an idea shared by many of my friends with common sense.  Location, location, location.  If the course isn't in a nice burb, wealthy members wives don't drive 30+ mins to drop kids off at the pool.  One with good leadership has to determine if the pool is costing you money and a drain on the Golf Course.  That main asset is the Golf course.  The club i grew up redid their pool 15 years ago and its packed, the social membership is paying for it.  location, location, location

Understand, I have no objection to any club that decides it wants to proceed in this way.  My entire premise is that there are a variety of ways a club or public course can structure itself.  Each club must find a formula that works for its members.  I have had a great time at no frills all golf facilities.  I have been unimpressed by the golf experience at some high prestige tracks.  But I support each membership/owner's right to determine what works for them.I agree with everything, except the last sentence.  It is beyond frustrating watching golden age courses close due to repackaging of the same old CC model.

Finally regarding some of your more personal remarks.  I may have views about the inevitability of contraction in the market, but I do more than pontificate about it on the internet.  I contribute a significant amount of my time as an officer/director of one of the largest Golf Associations in the country where I spend a fair amount of my time working with our member clubs to assist them in remaining viable.  I suspect I have had more discussions with decision makers in this area than most and I have seen financials for a few clubs.  But I suppose that qualifies me as one who wants contraction in the market.  I contribute my time as well, I know what organization ur on.  A friend of mine wants me join our organization, he is trying his hardest to change the perception of golf and is doing wonders.  People making the same old decision and not listening to the market (potential members like me) is arrogance.  I've seen financial too, played uber clubs, and actually worked at uber clubs.  Serving on boards and getting paid for advice doesn't mean that someone's ideas actually work in reality.  I get feedback from friends in the business that make great gains in memberships in poor markets.  Guess what, walking fees for additional income weren't on the list.

Similarly, your dismissal of the charitable contributions of many clubs strikes me as uninformed and ill mannered at best. Caddy programs in Chicago contribute to the Evans Scholar program via contributions from virtually every member.  My club has its own scholarship program on top of the Evans for caddies and other employees and their families.  Additionally, many clubs, including mine, require applicants to demonstrate a history of charitable giving on the theory that those who are fortunate enough to be able to enjoy a private club should give back.  Your suggestion that this is some form of hokum is insulting.  What you apparently refuse to recognize is that clubs can be more than a place to play golf.  Again, there is nothing wrong with the golf only model if that is what works for a club.  But your blanket dismissal of other models reveals a lack of intellectual flexibility and an ignorance of the market.I love the Evans, and spoke very highly of it, so don't twist my words.  I said there were other ways to contribute to the Evans without a caddy program.  I apologize for my tone, but you make it out to be that you are all saints.  The clubs that try and be more than GOLF are hurting, unless protected in an affluent area.  I had a nice lunch at a cafe in Deerfield on my way up to WI.  I can make a blanket statement and say clubs in declining burbs are struggling trying to keep the 1950's membership model afloat, that is a fact.  Metro Chicago and Detroit are no different.  I also offered solutions that have been implemented (reality) at top club(s) that are working, which falls on deaf ears!  

Finally, and I hesitate to even discuss it, I refer to your suggestion that I am a snob.  I have been on this board for a long time.  A lot of the folks here have come to know me.  I am a lot of things, but one thing I am certain I am not, is a snob.  What I am is a stickler for clear thinking and careful research.  I am also one who, having made a living for 40 years engaged in argumentation that was more meaningful than idle debates about a mutual interest, insists that arguments be carried on in a respectful manner recognizing that one can only defeat an argument by establishing its weaknesses, not by attacking the proponent.  To the extent my remarks here are deemed an attack on you, I apologize.  I don't know you.  They are intended to be a critique of your arguments and the manner in which they have been made.  If that reflects on the proponent, it is an unfortunate byproduct.Your comment was snobbish, doesn't mean you are a snob.  I apologize for my tone towards you.  I can tell you my suggestions aren't tested.  You also are implying that my thinking isn't clear.  My opinion is shared by many in the Golf business, the silent majority.    

JC Jones

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2015, 05:58:23 PM »
Jeff,

Alcohol is not permitted on UM campus?
Do they close their eyes at football games?

They close their eyes at football games because of the product on the field.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

BCowan

« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2015, 06:00:07 PM »
Jeff,

you pay dues to play Golf at a Golf club.  Beer, locker, a trolley that's not ur's it is extra.  Join an Elks club if you wanna drink 5 days a week.  We don't have drinking fees, BYOA.  

You don't have alcohol at the public course at which you are a season pass holder because alcohol is prohibited on all UM campus property.  I wonder if you'd like to amend the above so as to not publicly admit to violating policy.

You sound like the guy who told on his classmates for not doing their homework.  We bring our own alcohol and Radrick.  That is a fact jack.  It isn't a public course.  UM is getting a new clubhouse and will have a liquor licenses, again you fail.  Failing at thread jacking all the time

Terry Lavin

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2015, 06:08:49 PM »
We are so lucky to be able to learn from such a keen observer of death and dying in Rust Belt golf. Sort of like a blue collar Kubler-Ross talking Donald Ross. In his own parlance, how can one disagree with his sediments?  He's hung in there as the private clubs have suffered and, like a decaying building emitting its moldy essence, BC belches on with his pearls of overstated and generally baseless bloviations on how to fix the industry, while enjoying a good craft beer of course!  I could go on and on revealing his lack of insight, but we've seen enough purple proof in this single thread.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 06:13:36 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Eric Smith

« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2015, 06:11:54 PM »

BCowan

« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2015, 06:14:35 PM »
We are so lucky to be able to learn from suck a keen observer of death and dying in Rust Belt golf. Sort of like a blue collar Kubla-Ross talking Donald Ross. In his own parlance, how can one disagree with his sediments?  He's hung in there as the private clubs have suffered and, like a decaying building emitting its moldy essence, BC belches on with his pearls of overstated and generally baseless bloviations on how to fix the industry, while enjoying a good craft beer of course!  I could go on and on revealing his lack of insight, but we've seen enough purple proof in this single thread.

You are the quintessential GCA snob and you know it.  Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.  Coming from a guy ''Life's too short to play at crappy courses'', you don't have the slightest clue about average everyday golf.  Smails, keep your posts coming you provide so much entertainment for friends.  Your talking, but not saying anything of relevance.  How are your results Terry?  How are those rust belt courses doing?  You visit them much?  

JC Jones

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2015, 06:17:21 PM »
Jeff,

You sound like the guy who told on his classmates for not doing their homework.  We bring our own alcohol and Radrick.  That is a fact jack.  It isn't a public course.  UM is getting a new clubhouse and will have a liquor licenses, again you fail.  Failing at thread jacking all the time

It is easy for your "club" to have the ideal model when it's "members" do not have to pay for infrastructure improvements such as a new clubhouse.

Also, your point with respect to the future clubhouse and the assertion that there will be an exemption to the campus alcohol policy is immaterial to the point that alcohol consumption is currently not permitted.

Enjoy your Coors Light.

BCowan

« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2015, 06:20:56 PM »
Jeff,

It is easy for your "club" to have the ideal model when it's "members" do not have to pay for infrastructure improvements such as a new clubhouse.

Also, your point with respect to the future clubhouse and the assertion that there will be an exemption to the campus alcohol policy is immaterial to the point that alcohol consumption is currently not permitted.

Enjoy your Coors Light.

our clubhouse is the house of the gentlemen that donated the land to the University.  Our members don't use the clubhouse. 

That is what management tells me, I'll go with their word over yours. 

Child Please, you know nothing about good beer

Terry Lavin

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2015, 06:27:28 PM »
If being a snob in this context means never lowering myself to your company, I'm a snob. And you're a cipher. Here's hoping you have a dictionary app.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Philip Hensley

« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2015, 06:34:35 PM »

Phillip,
Sometimes it can depend greatly on who owns the cart concession.
If the pro owns it, chances are good his staff will promote riding.

It would seem to me, if the club owns the concessions, that it would be good to find the correct fee structure that encourages management to 
promote walking, as ultimately it wears less on the course, and walking creates more predictable traffic flow (singles and duos in carts can wreak havoc playing through the world)

Makes sense. Is there a standard way this is done or is it does it really vary from course to course? My course is owned by ClubCorp so I'm pretty sure it doesn't go to the pro. However, a corporation will be interested in promoting carts if they think it will bring more revenue.

As it applies to SPGC, does anyone know? I believe it is owned by the Elks Club.

Tim Martin

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2015, 06:35:11 PM »

Gold Bennie Gold!

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2015, 06:35:57 PM »

I love the Evans, and spoke very highly of it, so don't twist my words.  I said there were other ways to contribute to the Evans without a caddy program.

There may be ways to contribute to the Evans without a caddy program, but without question there would not be an Evans without caddy programs.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2015, 06:38:31 PM »

Gold Bennie Gold!

He's sort of our Chauncey Gardner. Eventually, if we are lucky, he'll walk across a fetid pond and disappear beneath a lily pad. No sequel.

Philip Hensley

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2015, 06:38:52 PM »

I have walked that course and yes it might be rolling, but there are many tougher walks than SPGC.   It is not even close to the hilliness of other courses in the area.  A good example would be Dormey Club, now that is some hills, but a course very much enjoyed when walked.    I live in Northwest Georgia, many incredibly hilly tracks.   After walking some of these courses, there is not only a better appreciation of the design and connection with nature, but an almost morphine like euphoria when you are done and just sit back to chill.  All the tension feels gone, you feel totally disconnected from the lunacy around you.  And to add, the positive feeling that you did something good for your body and soul, and maybe postponed for many years an income stream for some cardiologist.

I personally quite enjoyed the walk at SPGC. However, older players might not feel the same. Or they might not even care and want to take carts regardless of how easy or difficult the walk is.

I agree on Dormie, which is why I was disappointed when I played there in December and found many of the tee-to-fairway cut-throughs had been taken out (hopefully temporarily). So we were forced to walk around along the cart paths to get to the fairway. I hope it was because they had recently cut down the natural areas and hadn't replaced the stones that we used to use to walk through those areas.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2015, 06:46:50 PM »

Gold Bennie Gold!

He's sort of our Chauncey Gardner. Eventually, if we are lucky, he'll walk across a fetid pond and disappear beneath a lily pad. No sequel.

Dibs on making this my signature, guys.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

C. Sturges

« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2015, 07:28:24 PM »
Wow, how harsh this thread has gotten!  I am blown away by how people take digs at others.  Is the club Ben is a member at the most difficult in Michigan to join, no, but it is still a private club.  I called to play and they were very glad I new a member!  Other wise I would not of been able to play there.  I know many other people have set up and offered to host people on this web site and I thank those people who have hosted me in the past and in the future, but I do not know anyone who has gone out of his way to do this like Ben has.  He has done this at least four times last year.  Talk about someone trying to get more people playing, which helps all of the golfing community!

Time for a truce, to show all the people who read here as members and guests that we are not all snobs living the dream life.

As it pertains to carts and fees.  My home course is a government owed public facility.  So public there are no pass holders, but we are allowed to sell beer.  On any given day the course can have 200-250 rounds when carts are allowed, on the days that carts are not allowed it drops to maybe 50 players.  This is a very flat course with one small hill on both nines and no long walks from tee to green.  Most of the players also complain about the cost, last year it was $43 to ride on the weekends and $28 to walk.  Very few people walk and the majority of cart rides would rather stay in the club house and drink beer if they can not ride.  This is the sad reality that golf has become.  These are also the people that play 3-5 days a week and support the majority of public courses. 
Luckily there are no extra fees to walk or people would have less money for beer!  The domestic variety, cans on the course and draft micro brews on tap.
chris

Brian Finn

« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2015, 07:45:07 PM »

Gold Bennie Gold!

Dibs on making this my signature, guys.

Shouldn't that be everyone's signature? Let golf's silent majority be heard!
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back