News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Re: 15 Rounds, 1 Scottish, Welsh, or Irish Links (ie NO English)
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2014, 03:46:07 PM »
So you read the surfing sites and it's like going down the rabbit hole. A lot of places associated with good surfing are names we associate with good golf, Lahinch being a great example. Literally a parallel universe -- or another string.

EDIT:

I wrote I'm down to two courses but then went back and reread everyone's posts and IMs regarding Ireland. I realized I had fallen victim to tunnel vision so am stepping back and reconsidering. The priorities in order are surf, golf, craic.

I'm making a new list.

ONce again I find the humour in my earlier psot was well hidden but here's  the Surf and Turf summary.

Surf                                         Golf                                       Craic
Lahinch                 International Destination           Ditto but expensive                Mighty for a small town and do visit Doolin
                                                                                                                       for the pubs and music

Portrush               Not quite as high a reputation    Two courses where the second   Fine with a good choice of restaurants + bars
                             as above                                 is a destination in itself

Dingle                Inch peninsual, check you can      Dooks, Dingle and Castlegregory     Great town to be based in.
                         hire boards (and wetsuits)                 all within striking distance
                                                                              (less than 1 hour)

Bundoran           For the expert it's the top.             Meh                                            one hotel and a tired village.

For value golf you have to head for Donegal but I know nothing about surfing there.  Narin and Portnoo, North West and Murvagh are on the West Coast and fine golf courses.  I suspect Donegal Town is the liveliest place for a weeks stay.

PS The water is warmer the futher south you go thanks to the Gulf Stream. I've swum without a wetsuit at Lahinch at Easter but I got much colder at Rossapenna on a fine June day.  There's a reason why there are tropical plants growing in Kerry.

If your kids are serous about spending time in the water, don't skimp on Wetsuits!

Enjoy
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 04:06:50 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Niall C

« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2014, 08:58:43 AM »
Yes Thomas, but according to Rich there's no social life for teenagers north of Murcar  ::)

Niall

Yes Niall, there is a social life for youngsters in the Highlands, but it is brutish, nasty and short.  For us geezers, a friendly pub where the probability is close to 0% that you won't be head-butted, puked upon or glassed is as close to 0% as possible, is what we are looking for.  At least me, if nobody else.

Rich

Don't base the whole of the Highlands on that rough spot called Dornoch  ;D. Seriously, are you suggesting that there aren't plenty of friendly family pubs/hotels north of Aberdeen ? If you are then I think you're doing your adopted country a disservice. Yes, there are places where you get yobbish behaviour but then you can get that anywhere, including Ireland.

Niall

Rich Goodale

« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2014, 11:24:54 AM »
Niall

Perhaps I exaggerate, but I can't think of many (if any) pubs north of the Edinburgh/Glasgow "Maginot" Line that would both spark the imagination of a teenager and accomodate the sophistication of his or her father.

Mark

Since you are focusing now on the surfing, you cannot fail to at least look at Thurso, which is probably the finest surfing venue in the GBI.  It has a golf course which I hear is nice, if not particularly strategeric, and the craic in the local pubs is enhanced by the many nuclear physicists who reside in the area, permanently or itinerantly, due the the fast breeder reactor (RIP) at Dounreay.  When i was playing on the 1st (and only) XI for Dornoch Cricket Club in the early 1980's, the only time I got bowled out was when we played Thurso.  Unsportingly they opened with a relatively fast bowler from Cambridge who scythed through our batsmen like the grim reaper through rancid butter.  Maybe there is even a pub or two still extant there where craic is available on draft.....

Thnks about it.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

David_Tepper

« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2014, 11:30:57 AM »
Rich -

The links at Reay is not that far from Thurso and likely a much better golfing option. The all-day green fee is 25 pounds and a Country Membership is 275 pounds. Junior memberships are much, much less.

http://www.reaygolfclub.co.uk/Visitors.html

DT

Niall C

« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2014, 08:56:26 AM »
Rich

In fairness, both you and Mark have a better idea than me as to what keeps a teenager entertained. I've no idea, although it does occur to me that they might actually prefer the rough and ready pubs to the family friendly ones but then not with the oldies in tow  ;). I note the chat has turned to surfing and again Lossie scores on this front. Don't know how it compares to Thurso bit it certainly seems to be popular to surfers with a couple of outstanding beaches (outstanding for Scotland that is). Add in plenty of bike trails through the nearby pine forests and there should be enough there to entertain a healthy active teenager.

Just a thought.

Niall

Mark Pearce

« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2014, 09:42:06 AM »
Niall,

You have lost most teenagers at the word pub, I'm afraid.  The sad reality when it comes to nightlife is that almost anywhere you might like a teenager will not.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Niall C

« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2014, 06:57:48 AM »
Mark

You are no doubt correct. My judgement is perhaps clouded by fond memories of under age drinking. What kind of holidays do your kids go for ?

Niall

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2014, 08:04:33 AM »
Niall,

You have lost most teenagers at the word pub, I'm afraid.  The sad reality when it comes to nightlife is that almost anywhere you might like a teenager will not.

And this is why Ireland wins when it comes to pub culture. Because we all mix together here.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2014, 08:08:15 AM »
Ally and Niall (and Mark P)

The key with teenagers is to pick an activity for the daytime that douses the fire for the nighttime. When I find that activity I will let you know.

ONce again I find the humour in my earlier psot was well hidden but here's  the Surf and Turf summary.

Surf                                         Golf                                       Craic
Lahinch                 International Destination           Ditto but expensive                Mighty for a small town and do visit Doolin
                                                                                                                       for the pubs and music

Portrush               Not quite as high a reputation    Two courses where the second   Fine with a good choice of restaurants + bars
                             as above                                 is a destination in itself

Dingle                Inch peninsual, check you can      Dooks, Dingle and Castlegregory     Great town to be based in.
                         hire boards (and wetsuits)                 all within striking distance
                                                                              (less than 1 hour)

Bundoran           For the expert it's the top.             Meh                                            one hotel and a tired village.

For value golf you have to head for Donegal but I know nothing about surfing there.  Narin and Portnoo, North West and Murvagh are on the West Coast and fine golf courses.  I suspect Donegal Town is the liveliest place for a weeks stay.

PS The water is warmer the futher south you go thanks to the Gulf Stream. I've swum without a wetsuit at Lahinch at Easter but I got much colder at Rossapenna on a fine June day.  There's a reason why there are tropical plants growing in Kerry.

If your kids are serous about spending time in the water, don't skimp on Wetsuits!

Enjoy

Tony this is such an excellent post -- exactly what I needed. When I settle on something I'm expecting you to visit. I have been looking at water temps when we're visiting (late June). 12-17 C !! Tell me again how Ireland gets the Gulf Stream??
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Sean_A

« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2014, 08:10:31 AM »
Niall,

I don't know, my daughter quite happily frequents the village pub.  Though I do take the point that Scotland does seem to have a rep for kids carrying on in the streets nearby pubs and fish n' chip shops.  It is no doubt the same in England, its just that I don't hang around these towns very often.  There is something to be said for gentrification  :D

Mark B - have you thought of going into the "family planning" business?

Ciao  
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Ed Tilley

« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2014, 08:31:42 AM »
I have been looking at water temps when we're visiting (late June). 12-17 C !! Tell me again how Ireland gets the Gulf Stream??

Average June water temperature Inch beach - 14C
Average June water temperature St.John's Newfoundland - 7C

St.John's is also considerably south of Inch, and indeed anywhere in the British Isles.

Golden rule of surfing in the British Isles. Always wear a wetsuit!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2014, 10:14:56 AM »
St.John's is also considerably south of Inch, and indeed anywhere in the British Isles.

GB&I is surprisingly far north when you look at an atlas.

The gulf stream. Wonderful thing. Just about 52 weeks p/a golf.

atb

Mark Pearce

« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2014, 11:19:04 AM »
The gulf stream. Wonderful thing. Just about 52 weeks p/a golf.
Until Global Warming turns the Gulf Stream off.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2014, 12:00:15 PM »
So the gyre shuts off just when no one wants the Atlantic off Ireland to be warmed any further. Win win!
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2014, 09:45:31 AM »
And the answer is: Lahinch. I am certain 15 rounds is out of the question economically and physiologically, but we will get enough to be happy. And when I read a former captain writing that Lahinch must have the most bars of a one-block town in Ireland, well...

Others considered:

Ballyliffin: golf looked interesting, surfing in the general area looked fantastic, but craic looked low.
Portrush: this was right up there with Lahinch but the golf was not as accessible. BTW considered basing in Londonderry. It actually looks like a nice town -- it has a university which brings a lot of nice things with it.
County Sligo: all the work being done on the course, plus the warnings about Sligo town -- but the surfing looked great and Strandhill looked like a very nice surfing town. All things considered, this was second choice.

I want to say thank you to everyone for sharing. I am surprised by my result, not because it's a bad choice (duh) but because at the beginning of this virtual journey I considered it out of reach and not worth researching. Your posts and IMs opened my eyes, which led me to actually do the research, then to relax my standards and find a way to make it happen.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2014, 11:09:33 AM »
Excellent choice, Mark, and you are only 20 minutes drive from....

http://matchmakerireland.com/

Enjoy!
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Thomas Dai

« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2014, 12:00:32 PM »
Anyone know much about 'the other' course at Lahinch? I believe it's called the Castle Course. Is it worth playing?
Atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2014, 12:05:05 PM »
And the answer is: Lahinch. I am certain 15 rounds is out of the question economically and physiologically, but we will get enough to be happy. And when I read a former captain writing that Lahinch must have the most bars of a one-block town in Ireland, well...

Others considered:

Ballyliffin: golf looked interesting, surfing in the general area looked fantastic, but craic looked low.
Portrush: this was right up there with Lahinch but the golf was not as accessible. BTW considered basing in Londonderry. It actually looks like a nice town -- it has a university which brings a lot of nice things with it.
County Sligo: all the work being done on the course, plus the warnings about Sligo town -- but the surfing looked great and Strandhill looked like a very nice surfing town. All things considered, this was second choice.

Mark,
There's plenty of craic to be had in nearby Buncrana ;) ;D.
Spent 3 very interesting evenings there.
and Northwest GC in Buncrana is the perfect place for that emergency 18 after Ballyliffin (very interesting layout on receding land. flat, small acreage, and minimal bag carrying with multiple crossover holes)

I think I'd quit golf if I had to play Portrush Dunluce 15 rounds in a row-shame because there used to be a good course in there somewhere.

Sligo the town might creep me out.

Couldn't do 5 straight rounds at a factory like Lahinch, much less 15 (maybe I'm wrong if I got hooked up with members and preferred tee times and games). though the course and town are good.

I don't know if I could do 15 straight rounds anywhere but I'd love to give Portsalon or Dunfanaghy a shot.
I did do it at Waterville in 1991 and had a ball, but my local host/hosts made that happen, and a lot has changed in golf and pub life ;) ;D in Ireland since then.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 12:09:52 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2014, 12:41:32 PM »
Jeff,

Oh yes, Buncrana: that was the likely place to stay for Ballyliffin. It was just a bit too far from Ballyliffin for logistical comfort. But your comments re Ballyliffin are EXACTLY what attracted me to it. That looked like a course where you could go round and round without your soul or body being crushed, plus the remoteness probably kept the "golf factory tour" people away.

Regarding Portrush the plan actually was to IGNORE Dunluce and finagle a temp membership for the Valley. Dunluce held only somewhat more interest than nil.

Regarding Lahinch cum factory, I am counting on many new friendships from parking in one place.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2014, 12:55:22 PM »
Regarding Lahinch cum factory, I am counting on many new friendships from parking in one place.

If anyone could make many new friendships in a place, it would be you!

jeffwarne

« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2014, 01:23:52 PM »
Jeff,

Oh yes, Buncrana: that was the likely place to stay for Ballyliffin. It was just a bit too far from Ballyliffin for logistical comfort. But your comments re Ballyliffin are EXACTLY what attracted me to it. That looked like a course where you could go round and round without your soul or body being crushed, plus the remoteness probably kept the "golf factory tour" people away.

Regarding Portrush the plan actually was to IGNORE Dunluce and finagle a temp membership for the Valley. Dunluce held only somewhat more interest than nil.

First of all I forgot it was your thread ;) ;D
so lahinch is probably a good actual choice for those dealing in reality, which I rarely do. ;)

Buncrana is 15 minutes from Ballyliffin so don't let that stop you-but your point is well taken
Ballyliffin is very friendly, but did feel a little sterile out away from the town.

In portrush The Valley would be the way to go but I find the town a bit dreary, though there are a few good restaurants.

I just don't think I could do 15 rounds anywhere, but would like to stay a week in one place and wander from there.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

JMEvensky

« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2014, 01:45:42 PM »

I just don't think I could do 15 rounds anywhere, but would like to stay a week in one place and wander from there.

Not even Royal County Down?

Bart Bradley

« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2014, 01:56:46 PM »
Anyone know much about 'the other' course at Lahinch? I believe it's called the Castle Course. Is it worth playing?
Atb

Played it. Basic golf.  Not in the dunes. Perhaps a Doak 3.  recommend SKIP it.

Bart

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2014, 02:47:58 PM »
Jeff,

I assume you mean 15 rounds in a week not overall. A course not worth 15 rounds is not worth playing, is it? Re Buncrana I used google maps which had the Ballyliffin Buncrana drive at 27 mins. Automatically / subconsciously I added getting stuck behind a tractor to that. Re Portrush my Google street view tour didn't excite me either, thus the Londonderry plan.

Rich, thanks for that I will sign us up! (Not asking how you know of this organisation.)

Brent, that's very kind of you, thanks!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2014, 03:17:16 PM »
The original Lahinch course had 10 holes on the side of the road that The Castle Course is now housed on. Gibson moved a few over in 1907 before MacKenzie moved over the remainder in 1928. I definitely would play a couple of evening rounds on it if there for a week.

Presuming you get past the potential slow rounds that Jeff mentioned, I think Lahinch is your all-round best choice.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back