News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Is the 17th at Forsgate the best Biarritz green in golf ?
« on: August 14, 2014, 07:33:49 PM »
239 yards from back tee to the Middle of the green.

Huge green 75 yards deep, huge swale with plenty of hole locations, thumb print in back tier.

Great bunkering.

From the perspective of the perfect Biarritz green, is Forsgate the best there is ?

What Biarritz green is better ?  And why ?

Bill Brightly

Re: Is the 17th at Forsgate the best Biarritz green in golf ?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 07:53:05 PM »
It is certainly one of the hardest.  Only Yale's comes exceeds it, assuming both are back pins. The severity of the flanking bunkers at Forsgate is much greater than any I have played. Much more so than Fox Chapel and Hackensack. For me, Forsgate's bunkers are much more menacing, which makes the tee shot appear to be more difficult.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 07:54:29 PM »
Yale is, duh!

The 9th at Yale, produces excitement and anticipation well in advance of arriving on the tee, let alone the property... Forsgates might qualify as the 3rd most memorable hole of its par 3's. (Yale's hole only weak point is forward tees can't be jammed into the slope/pond)

I'd rather play Shoreacres' Biarritz too.

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 07:55:38 PM »
The Biarritz  at Black Creek in Chattanooga is pretty darn good.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 07:56:52 PM »

17@Forsgate
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Rees Milikin

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 08:14:56 PM »
The Biarritz  at Black Creek in Chattanooga is pretty darn good.

I agree, and from the tips it is really something special.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 08:32:24 PM »
Forsgate's cannot be the best because of the surrounds. With the water in front and steep hill behind and to the right, Yale's is obviously more dramatic. But if you like scenic AND hard, you must consider The Creek. No bunkers on the sides, just water hazards...

And while I'm on the topic of scenic, consider Fishers Island...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 08:45:05 PM by Bill Brightly »

Chris DeToro

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 08:39:11 PM »
Definitely Yale for me.  The green is so deep, you could hit 2-3 clubs longer depending on the pin, the shot and surrounds so dramatic--this is a tough hole to beat for me

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 09:09:27 PM »
Yale is, duh!

The 9th at Yale, produces excitement and anticipation well in advance of arriving on the tee, let alone the property... Forsgates might qualify as the 3rd most memorable hole of its par 3's. (Yale's hole only weak point is forward tees can't be jammed into the slope/pond)

Jaeger,

You need to reread the title (expanded) and text of the initial post again.

Forsgate's green is vastly superior to Yale's

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 09:09:52 PM »
I certainly thought that Hackensack's (Thanks Bill!) was pretty darn NICE. I was just in town this past week and drove by the club a few times.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 09:16:33 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 09:11:18 PM »
Forsgate's cannot be the best because of the surrounds. With the water in front and steep hill behind and to the right, Yale's is obviously more dramatic. But if you like scenic AND hard, you must consider The Creek. No bunkers on the sides, just water hazards...

And while I'm on the topic of scenic, consider Fishers Island...

Bill my friend, please reread the title, expanded for the search engine and  the morons, again. ;D
Ditto the text of the initial post.

It's the GREEN, not the surrounds

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 09:12:07 PM »
If it was the best Biarritz green in golf, I think I would remember it better than I do.

But, in general, I think Biarritz greens are too similar from one course to another.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
Yale is, duh!

Jaeger,

You need to reread the title (expanded) and text of the initial post again.

Forsgate's green is vastly superior to Yale's

I read it... Don't agree with it, but read it

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 09:28:38 PM »
At the Dixie Cup a couple of years ago we played Wexford on Hilton Head Island and they redid their greens and we had not idea that they had put in a Biarritz green on one of the par 4s on the back nine.  I don't know of any other renovations where they added a Biarritz and it has a very large and deep swale. 

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 09:44:20 PM »

The 11th at The Creek is simply the best.[/b][/color]

:) ;) ;D 8) ::) :-*

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 10:29:22 PM »

If it was the best Biarritz green in golf, I think I would remember it better than I do.

But, in general, I think Biarritz greens are too similar from one course to another.

Tom,

What distinguishes Forsgate's is the size of the swale which offers ample hole locations and the large back, upper tier which contains a thumbprint/horseshoe.

Getting your ball to the back tier requires an impressive shot, but doing so can still leave you with a very difficult putt.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 10:31:47 PM »

The 11th at The Creek is simply the best.[/b][/color]

Mike, the 11th at the Creek is a terrific HOLE, but, the GREEN at Forsgate is exceptional, perhaps the best Biarritz green in golf

:) ;) ;D 8) ::) :-*

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 10:48:42 PM »

Tom,

As you get older several things get hazier.
Your memory is one of them, and I can't remember the others

This one is distinctly different

Mike Hendren

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 11:14:45 PM »
Forsgate's is definitely a contender.  It the only biarritz I've played with the deflection plates - two small spines that form the top half of a "v" on the front section. 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jim Nugent

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 12:41:59 AM »
How does Doak's Biarritz green at Old Mac measure up?  Nearly every other Biarritz green I've seen in pictures looks real similar/symmetrical (in shape and contours).  Doak's does not, which might make it different and more interesting, both to putt and hit onto.   

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2014, 12:48:29 AM »

Tom,

What distinguishes Forsgate's is the size of the swale which offers ample hole locations and the large back, upper tier which contains a thumbprint/horseshoe.

Getting your ball to the back tier requires an impressive shot, but doing so can still leave you with a very difficult putt.

Bingo, Pat.  No real surprise that you picked up on it, but that little thumbprint/ridge in the back portion of the green is unique and makes for a near impossible back pin.  Fishers Island (I believe) has a small spine in the back-centre of the green.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,58918.html

Jim Nugent

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2014, 12:53:34 AM »

Tom,

Bingo, Pat.  No real surprise that you picked up on it, but that little thumbprint/ridge in the back portion of the green is unique and makes for a near impossible back pin.  Fishers Island (I believe) has a small spine in the back-centre of the green.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,58918.html

Does the course usually set the pin in back?  When it does, I wonder what the average score is, for good golfers?  Sounds like it might play more like a par 4. 

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2014, 01:03:50 AM »
Jim, I can't speak to that since I've only played the curious once.  Thinking about it, I now remember that the ridge (I think it's more of a crescent ridge than a thumbprint) runs maybe 5 paces from the back edge of the green.  It's steep enough that balls will collect off of it and funnel back, thus making a rear pin somewhat more accessible.  What is also does is severely penalize the overaggressive, long miss.  Get on top of the ridge and the ball will run off the green leaving a pitch back over the ridge to a green that runs away into the swale.  Pretty cool feature.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 02:01:50 AM »
The back portion of Yale' s has a lot of wonderful undulation.  However, Fishers Island and Fox Chapel should get the nod for the most interesting greens.  Camargo and St. Louis are really strong.  Last time I played Forsgate, Tamarack came the day before and when playing templates, you tend to analyze and compare/contrast. I've played Tamarack many times and think it's Biarritz is superior to Forsgate's and this is partly because there is a lot going on this green.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 06:07:33 AM »
The back portion of Yale' s has a lot of wonderful undulation.  However, Fishers Island and Fox Chapel should get the nod for the most interesting greens.  Camargo and St. Louis are really strong.  Last time I played Forsgate, Tamarack came the day before and when playing templates, you tend to analyze and compare/contrast. I've played Tamarack many times and think it's Biarritz is superior to Forsgate's and this is partly because there is a lot going on this green.

I'd wholeheartedly agree with RMD's assessment above and add that Pat's myopic enthusiasm neglects the terrific 16th at Yeamans as well. There the green's tilt and internal spines provide a vastly more exciting putting surface than Forsgate.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back