News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Decidedly O/T Golf Digest becomes the Gentleman's Quarterly
« on: August 13, 2014, 05:55:01 PM »

After being a subscriber to GD for a long time I decided to let my subscription drop.

The publication was on a downward spiral but the covers of Pauline Gretzky and her exercise program together with Keegan Bradley's fashion show was a bit much. The whole tenor of the Digest is pandering to something other than the game I know.

I realize I might sound like a grumpy old man but I remember the story of a Major in the Coldstream Guards on coming through the carnage of Dunkirk in 1940. When asked what was it like on the beach, he replied, in a very plummy upper class accent " My dear boy, the noise the, People!.

Bob

mike_beene

Re: Decidedly O/T Golf Digest becomes the Gentleman's Quarterly
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 06:11:27 PM »
Bob, I have had the same reaction. It just doesn't interest me when I get it. Maybe I am out of touch but the stories seem to lack any depth.Maybe a younger crowd, who thinks of a course as a track, still reads it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 06:48:30 PM »
They are trying to sell golf to the millennials.

Unfortunately, not many of them play golf.

David Kelly

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 06:53:02 PM »
The decline of golf coupled with the decline of print have the GD people grasping at straws.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 07:37:29 PM »
Must read in the latest issue:

"Taking Relief" When you gotta go. you gotta go.

A journalistic masterpiece on urinating on the golf course.

My subscription expires 3/16. I think I'll cancel now.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 07:55:09 PM »

Nor do they read print media.  ??? ::) ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Peter Le

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 08:01:17 PM »
No need to read anything since GD wants everyone to download the e-version on their iPad and simply watch the videos and flashy transitions. those weekly GD emails to download the iPad version = junk bin.
PL

Brent Hutto

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 08:05:09 PM »
You guys cancelling your subscriptions...good move but don't imagine they will ever, ever quit sending you their rag every month. Once you are on a magazine subscription list they'll keep on sending them whether you pay up or not.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 08:11:35 PM »
I'm adding a subscription. Keep Hope Alive!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

JLahrman

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 10:29:31 PM »
Bob, I have had the same reaction. It just doesn't interest me when I get it. Maybe I am out of touch but the stories seem to lack any depth.Maybe a younger crowd, who thinks of a course as a track, still reads it.

Who calls it a track? I've never heard anyone under 40 say that.

The obsession with Paulina Gretzky has been just plain creepy.

mike_beene

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 12:13:44 AM »
Maybe "track" is a red neck term. It seems to go hand in hand with a leather staff bag, a golf cart and a cigar. It seems to be a term the younger guys who worry about what club they hit , but everyone seems younger than me now. Perhaps I have offended a number of people with my explanation.They probably find my push cart more offensive than my opinion.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 12:20:11 AM »
I am a millennial and I think the changes are nothing more than a downward spiral, too.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Carl Johnson

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 02:17:31 PM »
So, I guess Land's End shouldn't be sending out free copies of Golf Digest either.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 02:27:35 PM »
Stopped getting it a year or so ago, after having read it for 30 years. I don't really miss it.

It lost me when it became obsessed with "buddy trips".
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 02:35:48 PM »
Desperate times, desperate measures.

Not that there's anything wrong with "buddy trips"!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 02:40:12 PM »
Slightly serious question, what does this mean for Golf Digest rankings, which used to be the standard, but have also been slowly fading? Here is a better system from now 2007?

I conducted the world ranking below because many of the people that post within the GolfClubAtlas Discussion Groupcriticize Golf Digest’s rankings. Because the GolfClubAtlas.com postersare more “educated” than the general golfing public, I thought we would get a very interesting list.The final outcome below shows that we did.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/matthew-hunt-another-take-on-a-world-top-100-ranking/

Pat Burke

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 01:05:08 AM »
I stopped buying GD even when I fly.
Desperate in an airplane and still no :D

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 08:58:36 AM »
Slightly serious question, what does this mean for Golf Digest rankings, which used to be the standard, but have also been slowly fading? Here is a better system from now 2007?

I conducted the world ranking below because many of the people that post within the GolfClubAtlas Discussion Groupcriticize Golf Digest’s rankings. Because the GolfClubAtlas.com postersare more “educated” than the general golfing public, I thought we would get a very interesting list.The final outcome below shows that we did.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/matthew-hunt-another-take-on-a-world-top-100-ranking/

High praise for Dancing Rabbit, Cobblestone, Peter Jans, Annbriar and some others we don't usually hear about in World 100 rankings. 

John Mayhugh

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 12:49:28 PM »
I stopped buying GD even when I fly.
Desperate in an airplane and still no :D

Delta hands them out for free in their lounge.  That's the only way I end up seeing it.

I want to think that there is a market for magazines that focus on intelligent discussion of golf courses, travel, and the game.  Most are just an infomercial for the equipment companies, it seems.

Bill Crane

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 01:06:11 PM »
I am a magazine junky, especially golf mags.

This publication is mud to me now, and I am a long time subscriber.

The last six months topics included Sex, Drugs, Rock and Roll and when you can take a leak on the course.

Maybe they are marketing to a younger audience, but in a tasteless manner disrespectful to the game.

One guys opinion.

Wm Flynnfan

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2014, 09:04:48 PM »
You guys cancelling your subscriptions...good move but don't imagine they will ever, ever quit sending you their rag every month. Once you are on a magazine subscription list they'll keep on sending them whether you pay up or not.

I'm very happy to report that they quit sending me issues after I cancelled.  Not only does it free up my home from idiotic articles of rubbish, it also saves me from the stench emanating from the men's perfume (cologne) ads.

Bill Vogeney

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2014, 10:35:14 PM »

they may play golf but they sure aren't buying magazines. The new format and content is a solution looking for a problem. They will out of business in 24 months.

mike_beene

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2014, 04:47:09 PM »
Is Golf Magazine already gone? I used to be excited each month when GD and Golf hit the mailbox.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2014, 08:32:02 PM »
You know your a contrarian at heart when these monthly threads only make you want to renew more.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2014, 09:51:03 PM »
Desperate times, desperate measures.

Not that there's anything wrong with "buddy trips"!

Taking a trip with my buddies is one thing, reading about someone else's buddies is another. It's like watching another couple kissing -- they'd better be a damn fine-looking couple, and even then I'd really rather not.

Peter

P.S. If I know that and you know that, why don't the editors at GD? It's like what TD points out -- they'e trying to sell millennials, but millennials aren't playing golf. Now, TD's a smart fellow, but if he knows that should't GD editors know it too? (After all, isn't that part of the job?)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 09:56:59 PM by PPallotta »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back