News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Moore

First hole       Mingo Springs Golf Club       Rangeley ME

Another summer, another visit from Mike Sweeney, and there is hardly a greater feeling than climbing into the Lex and having him chauffeur you all over Maine. Having exhausted a fair amount of southern and coastal Maine, this year brought Sweeney and Moore to the western mountains, and a very fine headquarters in Rangeley, directly on the shores of her eponymous lake.

But there was golf to be played on the way, and, after a lengthy detour through Chesterville to inspect a recently acquired woodlot and the hermit who keeps guard over it, the duo proceeded to Wilson Lake Golf Club in Wilton, yet another secret and magnificent niner from Wayne Stiles.

Rescued from the scrap heap of insolvency by Harris Golf, this is a fully realized, par-35, 3162-yard layout that Sweeney, drunk on being in the middle of nowhere with no responsibilities, would later deem "the best nine holes ever".

Yet another Stiles course where every detail is "just so"

Maybe, maybe not, but there is no doubt that Stiles was always able to locate a dead simple routing and then finish the holes with great flair - pushed up sites, flashed up bunkers, slopey greens, all tied in masterfully. A thunderstorm punctuated the round and several rounds of microbrew were enjoyed in the quietude of a clubhouse whose power had been knocked out.

An exciting discussion about the merits of decentralized cryptocurrency as an alternative to the United States dollar erupted on the ride to Rangeley. Moore awoke the next morning to see .0007 bitcoins in his mailbox as an experimental olive branch, but they seem to have gone unredeemed as of this writing.

There would be a fairly uninterrupted fusillade of homemade lobster rolls to fuel this trip, and as next day's lakeside luncheon was winding down, a bald and confused figure staggered towards the dock. Thinking that it was the third member of the party, half-man, half-rater, 100% lurker Hal Philips, Sweeney gave a warm greeting. Alas, it was a lost and inexperienced traveler who had driven an enormous boat trailer down our driveway into a seemingly inextricable position. Was it the Maine guide who expertly turned this mess around, literally? No, it was the former deckhand from the island of Manhattan.

The afternoon round was at Mingo Springs Golf Club on the north shore of Rangeley Lake. There is no doubt that this is a hidden gem, but as the back nine unfolded there was a vigorous debate as to how gemlike.

The eleventh tee marks the visual centerpiece of Mingo Springs

Fifth green and lupins

Would there were a bit more of this

On one hand, the staggering long views, the sensational terrain, the blind shots, the quirk and the variety of holes make this course an absolute delight to play. However, the keenest eyes in the group had legitimate gripes with too many greens that were simply a tiny mowed patch at the end of the fairway, as well as some bold ridgelines that seem to have gone underutilized. This debate fell by the wayside, as a ripping swordfish dinner, some amateur singing and strumming, and a bottle of Bushmills proved far more interesting.

The final day would feature Sugarloaf Golf Club, and once again there would be vital questions. Designed by Robert Trent Jones II in 1985, this tree-lined and unwalkable course is immodest in every way, for better and for worse.

Exciting greens

Exciting everything

The visuals are absolutely spectacular, but the holes can get steep in both directions. The expert will thrill at the shots called for, while the lesser player may be cracking sleeve after sleeve. The green are delightfully contoured, but some of the most interesting discussions here have been about potato-chip-shaped greens, double-breaking six-footers, and daily play. It was said best on the eleventh tee, to which one drives 120 feet uphill, tees off, and drives back down the same path. Is this a golf course, or is this a mountain-themed golf adventure park?

At lunch, inquiries were made about Moose Meadows, the pasture golf playground on Route 16 in Stratton. The group was assured that if the gate was open, the course was open, that most local children learned to play there, and that it was not to be missed. And dear reader, how easy it would be to say that Moose Meadows was a Thomas Cole painting come to life, that the lowing of the moose was drowned out by the delighted squeals of barefoot children.

But here is what actually happened. As Moore stepped out to photograph the donation station, in his most cautious Maine guide baritone he opined that "it might be a little buggy". Sweeney exited the vehicle, grabbed his clubs, and headed towards the nearest "tee". No sooner had the group advanced fifty yards than they realized that they had stumbled into a day of the locusts, rabid, starving colony of mosquitoes straight out of Steven King. Determined to say that he had "played" Moose Meadows, Sweeney dared stand still for ten seconds to tee off, at which point approximately two hundred ravenous insects alit on every square inch of exposed skin, ear canal, nasal cavity, tongue and eyeball. A horrific scene, but Sweeney dashed to the green, scrambled for a bogey, sprinted to the car, and exclaimed "I put twenty bucks in the donation bucket! That was the most @#$&#$% expensive round of golf I have ever played in my life!"
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Guy Nicholson

Ha ha, nice tour. I drove through Maine (directly past Sugarloaf) on my way from Ontario to Nova Scotia last month and can vouch for the insect situation. As bad as anything I've experienced in some very remote parts of Canada.

Brad Tufts

Great tour as usual.

Have to get you guys up to "The County" some year.

Free lodging at my house, and golf at Penobby, Aroostook Valley, Presque Isle CC, and multiple plays of the Royal and Ancient Va-Jo-Wa!

Extra points for those desiring to play Mars Hill GC, Jato Highlands, Houlton Community (9), or jump over the border to Covered Bridge GC or Mactaquac Provincial Park in NB.

The bugs are, of course, better as you get later in the summer.  If you hate even the occasional insect interested in you, the Northwoods are not for you until October.  Up in the Rangely area over to The County, July is a Spring month!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 09:48:48 PM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Mike Sweeney

But there was golf to be played on the way, and, after a lengthy detour through Chesterville to inspect a recently acquired woodlot and the hermit who keeps guard over it, the duo proceeded to Wilson Lake Golf Club in Wilton, yet another secret and magnificent niner from Wayne Stiles.

Rescued from the scrap heap of insolvency by Harris Golf, this is a fully realized, par-35, 3162-yard layout that Sweeney, drunk on being in the middle of nowhere with no responsibilities, would later deem "the best nine holes ever".

Wilson Lake was really fantastic. It should be mention that our friend David Cummings, also known as the "Tom Doak of Maine" worked on the restoration changes of Wilson Lake. Beautifully done by "DC".

An exciting discussion about the merits of decentralized cryptocurrency as an alternative to the United States dollar erupted on the ride to Rangeley. Moore awoke the next morning to see .0007 bitcoins in his mailbox as an experimental olive branch, but they seem to have gone unredeemed as of this writing.

Well now you can use them to buy Henry a Dell Computer: https://twitter.com/MichaelDell/status/490180154530873344

Was it the Maine guide who expertly turned this mess around, literally? No, it was the former deckhand from the island of Manhattan.

Sort of sad that my "expert play" of the trip was my loading a trailer.....

The afternoon round was at Mingo Springs Golf Club on the north shore of Rangeley Lake. There is no doubt that this is a hidden gem, but as the back nine unfolded there was a vigorous debate as to how gemlike.

Clearly a "missed opportunity" in the words of Ran, It was originally two 9 hole courses sitting next to each other. Great land, just the greens needed some Styles in them.

Is this a golf course, or is this a mountain-themed golf adventure park?

Wait, that was a question? The absolute Poster Child of the "Hit and Run" Golf Digest raters. #1 in the State of Maine!! How much wine did they serve at the outing!!??

But here is what actually happened. As Moore stepped out to photograph the donation station, in his most cautious Maine guide baritone he opined that "it might be a little buggy". Sweeney exited the vehicle, grabbed his clubs, and headed towards the nearest "tee". No sooner had the group advanced fifty yards than they realized that they had stumbled into a day of the locusts, rabid, starving colony of mosquitoes straight out of Steven King. Determined to say that he had "played" Moose Meadows, Sweeney dared stand still for ten seconds to tee off, at which point approximately two hundred ravenous insects alit on every square inch of exposed skin, ear canal, nasal cavity, tongue and eyeball. A horrific scene, but Sweeney dashed to the green, scrambled for a bogey, sprinted to the car, and exclaimed "I put twenty bucks in the donation bucket! That was the most @#$&#$% expensive round of golf I have ever played in my life!"

Reality is that in a 4 day trip to Maine, the only mosquitos I felt were ALL in 10 minutes. Let's call it a cool life experience! I would love to meet Rocky someday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXbudBJELfI
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 08:41:59 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Chris_Blakely

Great tour as usual.

Free lodging at my house, and golf at Penobby, Aroostook Valley, Presque Isle CC, and multiple plays of the Royal and Ancient Va-Jo-Wa!

Extra points for those desiring to play Mars Hill GC, Jato Highlands, Houlton Community (9), or jump over the border to Covered Bridge GC or Mactaquac Provincial Park in NB.

The bugs are, of course, better as you get later in the summer.  If you hate even the occasional insect interested in you, the Northwoods are not for you until October.  Up in the Rangely area over to The County, July is a Spring month!

What two do you recommend of the courses you listed?

Thanks

Chris

David Harshbarger

Awesome travelogue, again, puts Maine quirk golf on golf bucket list.

(Less than 300 views? WTF?)
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Dan Herrmann

Nicely done!   Thanks!

BCowan

Wilson Lake GC looks great.  Great thread.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 09:16:13 PM by BCowan »

Keith OHalloran

I played Mingo Springs and Sugarloaf last year while at a wedding at the Rangeley Country Club Inn. I have to admit I never thought I would see Mingo Springs mentioned on GCA, but it was a fun course, and in the parking lot of the hotel room, which was convenient.
I agree with your sentiments in regard to Sugarloaf. a bit much for me.

Brad Tufts

Great tour as usual.

What two do you recommend of the courses you listed?

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,

If you make it up towards Aroostook, the best course is Penobscot Valley, which is a Ross course just south of the County line in Orono just North of Bangor.  North of that, the best is Aroostook Valley CC, on the border (literally) of US/Canada about an hour north of Houlton on Rte. 1.  The clubhouse/bar was built in Canada during prohibition and the proshop is in the US...the OB line on #1 and #2 is the border of the US!!

After AVCC, Presque Isle is pretty decent, then Mars Hill....those two within about 15 miles of AVCC.  The Va-Jo-Wa holds great sentimental value to me as my parents' place is just across the lake, and they put forth a good effort...but it's homemade golf not really to shape until the late summer.  Fun place though and very scenic.  I'm a scratch and it's 6250 par 72 and I have never broken par!

None of the above cracks a Doak 6 save for Penobby.  AVCC might be a 5 on a good day.  The others are 4s and below.

Let me know if you need more advice...its a neat corner of the country.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

MCirba

Heading to Sugarloaf in two days.

For GCA quirk and novelty, should I play Moose Meadows or Wilson Lake?  Played Wawenock today and still smitten.

Did Stiles/Van Kleek design more awesome nine hole courses than anyone in history?

I think I know the answer but smell another 5am hotel departure.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 09:28:04 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Will Lozier

Played Wawenock today and still smitten.

Did Stiles/Van Kleek design more awesome nine hole courses than anyone in history?

Wawenock is fabulous!!!!!

Mike Sweeney

Heading to Sugarloaf in two days.

For GCA quirk and novelty, should I play Moose Meadows or Wilson Lake?  Played Wawenock today and still smitten.

I dare you to walk Sugarloaf!!

In the 10 round test, Wilson Lake = 9 rounds and Moose Meadows = 1 round for the sake of saying you played pasture golf in Maine.

GCA Lurker David Cummins did much of the bunker work at Wilson Lake. Please report back, Maine is NOT on the summer schedule yet!!

Enjoy.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Michael Moore

That was actually .00774 Bitcoin that I declined. It has increased from $5.01 to $308.44.

Damn.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

MCirba

Michaels Sweeney & Moore,

Right now my intent is to squeeze both Wilson Lake and Moose Meadows in if my aching legs hold out.

Today walked and played Northeast Harbor and Castine,,with winds picking up through the day to about 25mph gusting higher on the latter. 

May be fodder for a new thread.

Michael Moore

Hit "snooze" and opt for Mingo Springs.

Chris_Blakely

Wilson Lake is a must play

Mingo Springs is a must play, but only the older front 9, the back 9 was nothing special (it is the much newer 9).

I would play Lucerne-Inn Maine over Moose Meadows, but maybe you’re gunning for a course with “moose” in the name.

MCirba

I would play Lucerne-Inn Maine over Moose Meadows, but maybe you’re gunning for a course with “moose” in the name.

Chris,

You know me

You really, really know me!  ;)

Chris_Blakely

Mike,

Come to Ohio you can play Moose golf club in Sidney or Moose Landing in Ottawa!

Chris

Steve Lang

8)  I thought what happens in Maine, stays in Maine??

very interesting
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

MCirba

Does anyone know who laid out the two separate nines at Mingo Springs?

PCCraig

Mike -

Wawenock is very cool.

But for the love of all things holy do not leave Maine without playing Megunticook. Just the most awesome quirky nine holer I think I've ever played. Call the shop and say you're a golf nerd coming through town they would likely let you play. It's amazing.
H.P.S.

Daryl David

Today walked and played Northeast Harbor and Castine,,with winds picking up through the day to about 25mph gusting higher on the latter.

I plan on playing Castine and Northeast Harbor this fall so would be interested in your take. Also anything else that is worth a few hours drive from Bar Harbor.

Tim Martin

I plan on playing Castine and Northeast Harbor this fall so would be interested in your take. Also anything else that is worth a few hours drive from Bar Harbor.

Daryl-I’ve wanted to play both for a while and will try to pair them up with Kebo Valley hopefully this Fall. I thought one of them required a short ferry ride but it looks like both are accessible by car. I would also like to hear Mike’s impression.

Michael Moore

Does anyone know who laid out the two separate nines at Mingo Springs?

as we like to say . . . "some fahmah" . . . probably

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back