News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Re: Then and Now - photos
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 08:35:28 PM »
Weyhill (Saucon Valley) #18 then:

and now

Weyhill #15 then

and now

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 08:54:10 PM by Bill Brightly »

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 08:05:19 PM »
Bill what years are the photos from?  Also on the photos of the 18th are the rocks visible in the second picture in the trees of the first picture?

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 08:10:59 PM »
Time for some Philly area photos.

Manufacturers #16 1968

"Courtesy of the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District and Michigan State University Turfgrass Information Center"

Photo from the Joe Bausch collection at www.myphillygolf.com

Cobbs Creek #17 1956

"Courtesy of the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District and Michigan State University Turfgrass Information Center"

Photo from the Joe Bausch collection at www.myphillygolf.com

Merion #16 1953

Photo from www.golftripper.com
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 08:17:01 PM by Joe_Tucholski »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 09:21:01 PM »
Bill what years are the photos from?  Also on the photos of the 18th are the rocks visible in the second picture in the trees of the first picture?

Joe,

The earlier photos are about 8 years old, then newer ones three years old, just after the renovation. (The expanded fairway has grown in nicely.)

In the pictures of hole 18, the rocks were completely covered in dirt, and the big tree was just short of the first rock. I think the old quarry was uncovered while clearing that tree, and they kept clearing to enhance the feature. Prior to the work, this was my least favorite hole on the property. It was three wood (or sliced driver) left of the tree, 3 iron second shot, wedge to the green.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 09:28:33 PM by Bill Brightly »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2014, 01:15:27 AM »
I think the Cobb's Creek photos were taken from different angles.  In particular, looks like the newer photo came from a spot well to the right of the older one. 

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2014, 02:30:48 PM »
I think the Cobb's Creek photos were taken from different angles.  In particular, looks like the newer photo came from a spot well to the right of the older one. 
Jim I agree and wonder if that means they have moved the tee.

Joe_Tucholski

Re: Then and Now - photos New
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2014, 03:01:29 PM »
There are a few courses in the Noer/MilorganiteŽ Image Collection that have slides for every hole (unfortunately they haven't uploaded all those images).  I have to guess the two courses discussed the most on this site are Augusta National and Merion.  Luckily there are photos for most holes on these two courses so here comes the then (from 1953) and now of Merion.

1st Hole

From www.blogs.courierpostonline.com

Merion #5
(Edit: I learned via pm this photo is for the west course, which I can't find a photo for...but makes sense as the current 5th tee on the east course looks nothing like this.)

Merion #13 lower tee 1953

From www.golftripper.com

Merion #14 1953

From www.golftripper.com

Merion #15

From www.golftripper.com

Merion #16 - previously posted in this thread

Merion #17

From www.golf.about.com

Merion #18

From www.cycyr.com Not the same angle but shows some of the differences.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 09:08:52 PM by Joe_Tucholski »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2014, 01:46:15 PM »
Jim I agree and wonder if that means they have moved the tee.

That early Cobb's pic does appear to be taken from a tee no longer used, which is buried up in the woods not far from the 16th green.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back