News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe_Tucholski

Then and Now - photos
« on: July 07, 2014, 09:37:05 PM »
We often talk about the evolution of golf courses and there are lots of old photos out there.  I love looking at the way things were vs the way things are now.  Lets see some of those then and now photos you all have.

Here are some I've been looking at tonight.

12th at Augusta circa 1955 and modern

"Courtesy of the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District and Michigan State University Turfgrass Information Center"

7th at Pebble circa 1956 and modern

"Courtesy of the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District and Michigan State University Turfgrass Information Center"

18th at Pebble Beach circa 1956 and modern

9th at Cypress circa 1951 and modern

Edit:  Realized I should specifically reference the modern photos as well.
The Augusta photo is from www.WorldGolf.com
The Pebble photo of the 7th is from www.tpl.eu.com the 18th is from www.titleist.com
The Cypress photos is from www.tonyrobertsphotography.com
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 10:00:16 PM by Joe_Tucholski »

Jim Nugent

Re: Then and Now - photos
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 09:49:06 PM »
Joe, really cool pictures.  The ANGC photos show how much they raised the green.  I read in Wexler's essay on the changes at ANGC that when the club made the green higher, it also made it more uniform in shape, and a lot flatter: the right side used to be smaller and higher.  Do you have any photos of that?

I'm a bit confused on the CPC photos.  It seems like either they shifted the tee over to the left a bit, or shifted the fairway over to the right, in the process taking out those two bunkers.  Can anyone clarify if, why and when? 

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 09:57:05 PM »
I'm fairly certain the older Cypress Point photo is mirrored.

Scott McWethy

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 10:06:16 PM »
I'm fairly certain the older Cypress Point photo is mirrored.

You're correct Ben as the fairway on the 8th hole runs parallel to the 9th and is on your left side when playing down the 9th hole.  Photo that Joe put on here was mirrored.  The hole really doesn't look much different today as compared to back then, which is a good thing.  This is really cool looking at all these "then and now" photos.  Thanks again Joe for posting this.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 10:08:11 PM by Scott McWethy »

Dane Hawker

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 01:17:37 AM »
Far prefer the old pebble 7th

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 01:44:04 AM »

The bunkering is shock ugly, but the hole location front right is very cool.

The green pad for the old hole seems to extend mcuh further right than today.  There is also that odd looking notch cut into the pad - never noticed this before.

Thanks for posting Joe.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Jim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 05:51:35 AM »
I recall seeing photos of #7 at Pebble where the bunkers were not uniformly shaped, but instead rough and wild.  I guess that was earlier?

Tom Kelly

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 12:12:09 PM »
I recall seeing photos of #7 at Pebble where the bunkers were not uniformly shaped, but instead rough and wild.  I guess that was earlier?

From 1928.

http://www.julianpgraham.com/galleryPebbleBeach.htm#

BCrosby

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 12:26:59 PM »
Joe, really cool pictures.  The ANGC photos show how much they raised the green.  I read in Wexler's essay on the changes at ANGC that when the club made the green higher, it also made it more uniform in shape, and a lot flatter: the right side used to be smaller and higher. 

The 12th also looks like it has shrunk along its left to right axis.

Bob

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 01:00:08 PM »
Joe, really cool pictures.  The ANGC photos show how much they raised the green.  I read in Wexler's essay on the changes at ANGC that when the club made the green higher, it also made it more uniform in shape, and a lot flatter: the right side used to be smaller and higher. 

The 12th also looks like it has shrunk along its left to right axis.

Bob

It might have, but unless the Hogan bridge was re-oriented the two pictures were shot from very different angles. Which could account for the distortion.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 02:10:36 PM »
Ben,

I think the bridge was realigned and the front bunker extended. I think the new 7th at PB is much better.

Jon

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 02:21:08 PM »

The bunkering is shock ugly, but the hole location front right is very cool.

The green pad for the old hole seems to extend much further right than today.  There is also that odd looking notch cut into the pad - never noticed this before.

Thanks for posting Joe.

Ciao

Looking more closely at the 12th, I think the notch to the right is the end of the green and the rest of the "pad" may be a forward tee for #13. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Andrew Buck

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 03:08:34 PM »
I'll take 1928 pebble.

Greg Taylor

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 03:10:48 PM »
Great pics - thanks for posting!

The first pic of CPC threw me for a second.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 03:29:06 PM »
Great stuff. Well done for finding the source and highlighting it.
atb

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 03:37:59 PM »
Great link. MacKenzie in the bunker at Pasatiempo and the photograph of his funeral are captivating.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Jeffrey Conners

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 03:53:36 PM »
Interesting that the Hogan Bridge was once covered with real grass.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 06:21:12 PM »
Joe, really cool pictures.  The ANGC photos show how much they raised the green.  I read in Wexler's essay on the changes at ANGC that when the club made the green higher, it also made it more uniform in shape, and a lot flatter: the right side used to be smaller and higher.  Do you have any photos of that?

I'm a bit confused on the CPC photos.  It seems like either they shifted the tee over to the left a bit, or shifted the fairway over to the right, in the process taking out those two bunkers.  Can anyone clarify if, why and when? 

Jim all the "Then" photos were from The Noer/Milorganite® Image Collection hosted by Michigan State.  Anthony Pioppi posted a thread on it yesterday and I spent the entire night going through the photos.  Augusta only had hole photos from 1955.  Apparently they are a collection of slides and some of the slides were converted to digital images, which explains why the CPC photo is flipped (they have a method to correct errors and I sent a message - also corrected by initial post with the flipped image).

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 06:42:39 PM »
Time for some more photos from Cali.  I should note the now photos are not my photos but have been found online at various blogs or other golf sites.

Bel air 17th 1965

LACC 11th 1951

pre reno 2002 from Rans review

Post reno

Mission Hills, home of an LPGA major, and construction of 18th green 1970

Pasatiempo 11th 1955

Edit: Realized I should reference the modern photos as well.
Bel Air is from www.planetgolfusa.com
The most current LACC is also from www.planetgolfusa.com
Mission Hills is from www.thehenebrys.com as the logo indicates.
Pasatiempo is from www.golftripper.com
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 10:06:31 PM by Joe_Tucholski »

Michael Felton

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 08:01:24 AM »
That Bel Air one is quite something. Looks like mowing lines drifted inwards and then someone said "this green used to be bigger", so they pushed it out, but on the wrong side. Either that or someone didn't like their ball rolling off that right side.

astavrides

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 10:04:31 AM »
why is there water in the background of the first bel-air picture but not the second?

Jim Nugent

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 10:26:23 AM »
At LACC, it looks to me like they cut the edges of the bunker differently.  But the bunker placement, shape and size look the same.  Same with the green and virtually everything else.  Did they make any substantive changes to the hole? 

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 07:43:26 PM »
why is there water in the background of the first bel-air picture but not the second?

There was a reservoir there.  Not sure when it was filled in but think the practice facility is in it's place.  The area has changed a bit.  Here is a picture from the waterandpower.org website showing the view from Bel-Air towards UCLA the year it opened (1929).

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 07:48:38 PM »
At LACC, it looks to me like they cut the edges of the bunker differently.  But the bunker placement, shape and size look the same.  Same with the green and virtually everything else.  Did they make any substantive changes to the hole? 
No substantive changes to 11.  The bunkers apparently were cut the current way in the 20's.  The following link details all the changes made during the restoration, with accompanying before and after photos.   http://persimmongolftoday.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/NorthCourse_Commemorative_Edition.pdf

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 08:02:56 PM »
Eastlake 10th 1960

from www.golftripper.com

Bob O’Link 8th hole 1959

from www.theitinerantgolfer.com

Beverly CC 1958 12th hole

from Ran's review

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back