News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Jack in Dornoch!
« on: July 07, 2014, 04:37:23 PM »
A very reliable source has just advised me that Jack Nicklaus made his maiden visit to Dornoch today.
Wimbledon this weekend, Dornoch today. Jack must be working on his bucket list!  ;)

Mark Pavy

Re: Jack in Dornoch!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 05:09:36 PM »
here's a link to a picture:

https://twitter.com/ScotGolfPodcast/statuses/486234922391449600

Love the wallpaper in the background -Cruden Bay!!

Stan Dodd

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 05:15:37 PM »
I was lucky enough to walk a few holes with Jack today.  What a class act.  He signed everything, photos with everyone, chatted up all of our juniors and sat and had a pint in the clubhouse.  Will post some pics later.  He took 2 to get out of the front right bunker on 15 but then made a  20 footer.  Just like me minus making the 20 footer.

Charlie_Bell

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 05:38:39 PM »
Thanks for the prompt post -- impressive devotion to GCA!  I'm wondering whether today's was indeed Jack's first round there, as this link suggests he's been there before: http://www.golspieinn.co.uk/golf-golspie-dornoch-brora-tain.html

Now we have to wonder whether he also visited the best course in the world, Trumperdeen.   

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 05:49:43 PM »
Charlie Bell -

I do believe the claims of the Golspie Inn on its website are very much mistaken. I am 99.9% certain today was Jack's first visit to Dornoch.

DT

Stan Dodd

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 06:35:07 PM »
Per Barbara, Jack has wanted to visit but never made it, but was urged by Tom Watson to make the journey.

Ryan Coles

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 06:38:31 PM »
What a great bloke. Has there ever been a greater sportsman than Jack?

David Royer

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 06:49:43 PM »
Lots.......AP, Ali, Trevino, Summerhays, Mays, the list is is long!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 06:54:51 PM »

You're usually not this effusive with misplaced affection...#bromance?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Steve Salmen

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 07:09:25 PM »
Could not be happier for Gary Dingwall.  He is a fantastic guy and well deserving of this once in a lifetime experience. 

Charlie_Bell

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 07:13:01 PM »
Thank you, Stan.  Somehow that makes the occasion even more special.  Me, I'm counting the days until my first visit:  15.

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 07:30:41 PM »
Jack has lost some weight! Good going Bear!

Niall C

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 07:37:06 AM »
Per Barbara, Jack has wanted to visit but never made it, but was urged by Tom Watson to make the journey.

so Jack's out playing golf and the bold Stan moves in to chat up his wife. That's the sort of action that could see a member up in front of the Committee  ;D

Niall

Steve Lapper

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 09:54:17 AM »

Arnie was a far greater sportsman than Jack!!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

JMEvensky

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 09:57:25 AM »

Ever meet Ali before his Parkinson's disease? I'll guess no--unless you have a very curious definition of great sportsman. Ali was a great boxer,period,paragraph.

Mike Schott

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 10:50:14 AM »

Ever meet Ali before his Parkinson's disease? I'll guess no--unless you have a very curious definition of great sportsman. Ali was a great boxer,period,paragraph.

You base this on what? Ali is rightly revered for his personality, strong beliefs and his post career humanitarianism.

It's hard to define the word sportsman. Jack always seems gracious and classy, a true family man. Arnie has a more outgoing personality and is more of an ambassador for the sport. I for one respect Ali more than either. Maybe it's my memories of his career as a boxer or that he was at an event I attended a few years back, but to me, he's a great man.

JMEvensky

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 11:08:48 AM »

You base this on what? Ali is rightly revered for his personality, strong beliefs and his post career humanitarianism.

It's hard to define the word sportsman. Jack always seems gracious and classy, a true family man. Arnie has a more outgoing personality and is more of an ambassador for the sport. I for one respect Ali more than either. Maybe it's my memories of his career as a boxer or that he was at an event I attended a few years back, but to me, he's a great man.

I base it on meeting Ali twice along with several sports writers who covered him his entire career. He was a racist and an anti-Semite.Being kind,he was a tool of Elijah Muhammad.Being less kind,Elijah Muhammad had a willing acolyte.

Your opinion of Ali is based on what--watching Wide World of Sports?

Ali was a scum bag. Let me know when you find anyone who ever met him who'll say different.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 11:16:06 AM »
Guys, stop this.  This thread will not be hijacked over this silly debate.

David has made a great post.  Dornoch has waited many years for this special visitor.

While in Dorrnoch in 2009, I had a a discussion with a man that had met Jack Nicklaus the week before.  He asked him if he had ever been to Dornoch and Mr. Nicklaus apparently answered in the affirmative.  We all found this hard to believe since there was no evidence of any kind to support the claim.  We concluded that it was just miscommunication.

However, we still wondered if he got in a round under the radar.  It would be hard but not impossible.

I think that along with myself, there are a lot of really proud people.  I'd be equally proud if Mr. Palmer made the trip.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 11:51:34 AM »
Maybe Nicklaus was in Dornoch, but did not play golf. It's a great base for exploring the Highlands.

But I wonder whether all those high rollers playing this previously hidden gem, starting with Tom Watson years ago, is really a good thing. It certainly had a negative effect on Joe Average's ability to play the course more than, say, once in a lifetime. Hard to fully appreciate a course from just one round, but that is all that most can afford these days. Sad to see those green fees skyrocketing, just as at TOC, which I believe should be way more accessible as well.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Jim Nugent

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 12:35:27 PM »
In 1984 I went to some fights in LA.  Some young black women happened to sit next to us, and I got to chatting a bit with one of them.  All of a sudden, the spotlight left the ring, and went into the first row, where Ali was sitting.  He took a bow, the crowd went wild -- except the young woman sitting next to me. 

She told me she couldn't stand Ali.  When I asked her why she said words to the effect, "Because he cheated on his wife." 

David_Tepper

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 01:14:08 PM »
"But I wonder whether all those high rollers playing this previously hidden gem, starting with Tom Watson years ago, is really a good thing. It certainly had a negative effect on Joe Average's ability to play the course more than, say, once in a lifetime. Hard to fully appreciate a course from just one round, but that is all that most can afford these days. Sad to see those green fees skyrocketing, just as at TOC, which I believe should be way more accessible as well."

Ulrich M. -

I think you are talking nonsense. Perhaps Herbert Warren Wind shouldn't have visited Dornoch and written about it in The New Yorker in the 1960's as well. ;)

Royal Dornoch has regularly been rated among the best courses in GB&I (and the world, for that matter) for a couple of decades now. Do you really think it makes a difference if one or two of the biggest names in the history of the game show up to play a round or two every few years? What course in their right mind would discourage Jack Nicklaus from coming to play. Why should they?

Royal Dornoch attracts roughly 10,000 visitor rounds yearly. How much more accessible should it be?

DT

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 01:18:50 PM by David_Tepper »

Mike Schott

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 01:29:09 PM »

I base it on meeting Ali twice along with several sports writers who covered him his entire career. He was a racist and an anti-Semite.Being kind,he was a tool of Elijah Muhammad.Being less kind,Elijah Muhammad had a willing acolyte.

Ali was a scum bag. Let me know when you find anyone who ever met him who'll say different.

How long ago was this? People change over time but then again there are people with limited ability to forgive who can't get past their own limitations.

JMEvensky

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 01:43:41 PM »

How long ago was this? People change over time but then again there are people with limited ability to forgive who can't get past their own limitations.

Yeah,Ali changed--right after his brain turned to mush.

Right now my biggest limitation is trying to educate a guy who looks at athletes like a 12 year old. Again,let me know when you find someone who shares your opinion of the humanitarian Ali ( I laughed as I typed that). 

Mike Schott

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 02:26:32 PM »

Yeah,Ali changed--right after his brain turned to mush.

Right now my biggest limitation is trying to educate a guy who looks at athletes like a 12 year old. Again,let me know when you find someone who shares your opinion of the humanitarian Ali ( I laughed as I typed that). 

Do you really want me to link to articles praising Ali? It would crash Ran's server.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2014, 03:27:57 PM »
Going back to JN and Dornoch, whether or not he's played it I don't know, but he's certainly been to Sutherland/Caithness for the fishing in the past.

What a fantastic day for Gary Dingwall (great local surname). Well done to him.

By the way, does Peter Thomson still go to Brora regularly? I wonder what he thinks of a certain hole now being a par-5 instead of a par-4?

atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back