News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

The Noer/Milorganite® Image Collection Launches
« on: July 07, 2014, 04:22:08 PM »
Looks to be a gold mine. I already found photos of Pine Valley from 1939 on. I'd post some but I forgot how!

Here is the press release: The Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District and the Turfgrass Information Center (TIC) are delighted to announce the availability of the Noer/ Milorganite® Image Collection website. This collection, sometimes known as the "Noer slides", currently features almost 13,000 35-mm slide images shot by O. J. Noer, and later, Charlie Wilson, Jim Latham and others.  The digital archive is searchable, may be browsed by year or location, and can be accessed at:  http://noermmsd.lib.msu.edu.

These images were taken between the 1920s through the 1980s, and feature an extraordinary scope of content, including: experimental plots, golf courses and athletic fields across North America, equipment, personalities, maintenance practices, disease and pest control, and fertilization issues and test plots. They were originally a “use” collection, utilized by Noer and others for lectures and consulting in support of Milorganite®’s Turf Service Bureau throughout the ‘40s, ‘50s and ‘60s. Despite heavy use for many years, the condition of the material is generally good. All undamaged slides with available data (location, date, etc.)  from the original hand-typed ledgers have now been scanned and loaded into the digital archive.  This under-construction website is publicly-accessible, and materials may be reused for non-commercial educational and research purposes, with appropriate attribution as specified in the website’s “Terms and Conditions of Use.”

Other items in the Noer/Milorganite® Image Collection include unnumbered slides, negatives, positives, and 8 and 16 mm films, with the total number of items estimated at around 27,000. However, that includes a significant number of duplicates and derivatives. Although these are not currently available, TIC will continue to add to, refine and improve the materials and data within this Collection, as well as continue to seek financial support to move this work forward.  We also very much welcome comments on the location and content seen within the images, as we will include those additions and corrections into the annotations.

Support for this initial launch has been provided by the O.J. Noer Research Foundation, the Wisconsin Golf Course Superintendents Association, the Michigan Turfgrass Foundation, the MSU Libraries, and other groups and individuals.

Joe Bausch

Re: The Noer/Milorganite® Image Collection Launches
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 04:39:43 PM »
Here's an example from the collection, 4 green at PV from 1939:

"Courtesy of the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District and Michigan State University Turfgrass Information Center"

Another, this is 7 green from 1940:

"Courtesy of the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District and Michigan State University Turfgrass Information Center"

And the first hole from 1940:

« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 03:46:31 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 04:47:33 PM »
Thanks, Joe, for that.

I've already found some golf course names misspelled. There is a link to send in corrections.

Tony

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 04:49:16 PM »
And how 'bout this one, left waste bunker on 18:

« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 03:46:43 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 07:38:43 PM »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ryan Bass

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 08:06:01 PM »
OT: Who knows what Milorganite comes from?  Nice photo tours, btw.  Excellent material for bathroom "reading."   ;D

Rees Milikin

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 08:09:15 PM »
OT: Who knows what Milorganite comes from?  Nice photo tours, btw.  Excellent material for bathroom "reading."   ;D

Human waste...I worked at Home Depot in high school and sold this stuff.

Ryan Bass

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 08:15:20 PM »
OT: Who knows what Milorganite comes from?  Nice photo tours, btw.  Excellent material for bathroom "reading."   ;D

Human waste...I worked at Home Depot in high school and sold this stuff.

Winning!

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 08:51:30 PM »
Thanks for the link, it's now in my favorites.  Some great photo tours and hopefully they keep adding the slides for online viewing.  I wondered if they would have photos of Pinehurst but it looks like the photos from the course tour of #2 have not been updated for the internet yet.

Some great then and now opportunities.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 09:05:45 PM »
WOW! I'd say this counts as educational use!
... from my Cali search...

... To post these pics is super easy...
1. If you do a search by state, it will list all photos by that state.
2. If you click on a slide, it will open in a new tab/window
3. Copy the "archive.blablabla" in the browser tab
4. In post reply, click the picture icon (under I) and paste the link between the brackets

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 10:35:00 PM »
Golf courses looked great before the weedeater came along.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 08:55:02 AM »
http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/noerslides/7309.jpg - funny thing, but while we would take photos of the hole, I am convinced this one was taken to show fw edge turf wear due to carts not being allowed on the fw.

Milorganite is processed human waste. I visited their offices in the 1970's and they had a plaque with motto - "We're No. 1 AND No. 2"  (A take off on the old Avis "We're number 2" ads, and even more true......)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 09:42:10 PM »
The Pine Tree set has the holes numbered as originally planned, as shown in an introductory brochure. The nines were reversed around the time of the opening. One hole (the current fourth) is missing, but you'll find the famed par-3 13th hole as the fourth.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

John_Conley

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 12:09:41 AM »
Looks to be a gold mine.

For sure.  Fun stuff.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back