News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt MacIver

Re: Great Front; Okay Back
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2014, 07:23:11 PM »
I didn't really know what to expect at Bethpage Black (except #4) but was overwhelmed by the first five holes (though #3 was meh; a connector?).  There are very few holes on the back that rival the front.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2014, 07:26:38 PM »
I didn't really know what to expect at Bethpage Black (except #4) but was overwhelmed by the first five holes (though #3 was meh; a connector?).  There are very few holes on the back that rival the front.

And I would think the letdown of #18 impacts anyone's assessment of the course.  Just guessing, since I haven't played the Black.

So, the next question would be: On a "Great Front, Okay Back" layout, wouldn't the course be better if the nines were simply reversed (assuming the routing so permits)?

WW

Paul Gray

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2014, 07:47:25 PM »
Sean,

You're right. Just got carried away thinking about the contrasts. :)
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2014, 06:43:19 AM »
Ballyhack sort of fits this bill for me.  As I find the land for the front nine so special that the back nine takes a back seat.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Niall C

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2014, 08:17:06 AM »
Frank

What to do about the 17th/18th at Machrihanish ? Any ideas ? Re-routing perhaps with a shift of the clubhouse ?

Niall

Frank and I discussed that a while ago - we both think the answer is a new par three ninth hole, the tee left of the current eighth green and the green near the sea and current ninth tee. Then combine 17 and 18 into a par five to finish. The ground isn't exciting but with clever design you ought to be able to come up with something good.

Adam

After I posted I had a think about it myself and have come up with another solution which I hopefully will turn into a new thread provided I can master the posting of images.

Niall

Carl Rogers

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2014, 09:11:42 AM »
Ballyhack sort of fits this bill for me.  As I find the land for the front nine so special that the back nine takes a back seat.
Not my perception.  I liked the back just as well though it is over more difficult terrain.  However:
-The approach shot at 14 is too severe for a short hitter like myself with a longer club in hand.
-The 15th is a bit quirky with the short porch. 
-The 17th is a more straight forward connector short par 3.

The Ballyhack 18th green is unbelieveably unforgettable and a wonderful conclusion to the round.

The course which came to mind for me concerning this thread is Royal New Kent.  Front 9 is magnificient. The routing breaks down after 11.  The 11th green is hopelessly, even for Strantz, over the top.  17 & 18 belong on another course.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Paul Carey

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2014, 09:18:14 AM »
Jenifer Lopez? ;)

Royal Aberdeen has always had this reputation, but I rather ebjoyed the back, and felt many of the holes on the front, while outstanding holes on their own, a bit repetitive in the two different crosswinds I played it in the two times I was there.
Sadly I hear from a very good player next door Murcar has been lost in a sea of narrowed fairways and rough, as the pictures of RA seem to indicate in "preparation" for the Scottish Open. ::) ::)
The two gents I played with Tuesday are playing in that this week and will be interested  in hearing their thoughts

Is it really a valid and better test of driving if no one hits driver?

I played Aberdeen  prior to the Walker Cup the course setup was miserable.  Fairways were extremely narrow and a yard off the fairway was a potential lost ball.   It was very difficult to enjoy the golf course in those "tournament" conditions.

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2014, 12:27:38 PM »
Diamond Creek is the epitome of this thread.  "Great" and "ok" need to be replaced with "breathtaking" and "forgettable"

Andy Troeger

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2014, 12:34:59 PM »
Diamond Creek is the epitome of this thread.  "Great" and "ok" need to be replaced with "breathtaking" and "forgettable"

Really? I think the 15th is the best hole on the course. #17 isn't necessarily great architecture, but its not forgettable. I do agree that the front is better than the back and #8/9 would be a great finishing pair, but I don't think its that drastic.

Also don't think I'd include Ballyhack here. If pressed, I would still say the front is the better nine, but the back is still pretty solid. I like the short #17 coming after what is likely the hardest hole on the course.

First one that comes to mind for me is Lancaster. Front nine is awesome, back nine a bit less original. I'll second Royal New Kent, although I really like #17. The holes going through the neighborhood lose a lot of charm. I'm not sure the front is as "great" as it may have been originally.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back