News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DCronan

Victoria National...Web.com...What a freaking start!!!!
« on: June 27, 2014, 06:49:53 PM »
Tony Finau started his round today on the 2nd nine by going 3-1, which is crazy when one considers those are Par 5 and 3 respectively. Was -7 after 7 and shot a 64 with 4, count them, 4 bogies.

So much for me ever saying "I got off to a hot start" again.........

Josh Tarble

Re: Victoria National...Web.com...What a freaking start!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 08:40:33 PM »
My question is how do you come back after an eagle-ace start?  If that was me I'd have shot a 95. 

Terry Lavin

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 09:55:15 PM »
Whoa!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Nigel Islam

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 10:39:49 PM »
My question is how do you come back after an eagle-ace start?  If that was me I'd have shot a 95. 

Didn't I hear you eagled the first at Crystal Downs? I suspect you came in better than 95.

Isn't there a story about a member at Pine Valley that played the first 5 holes so well he just went straight to the par instead of the next tee?

Steve Burrows

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 11:04:15 PM »
Isn't there a story about a member at Pine Valley that played the first 5 holes so well he just went straight to the par instead of the next tee?

I remember that story/legend as well.  Apparently the man started out birdie-eagle-ace-birdie (six-under par through 4 holes), went into the clubhouse which is near the 4th green, and didn't come back out!
...to admit my mistakes most frankly, or to say simply what I believe to be necessary for the defense of what I have written, without introducing the explanation of any new matter so as to avoid engaging myself in endless discussion from one topic to another.     
               -Rene Descartes

Chris Roselle

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 04:31:51 PM »

I remember that story/legend as well.  Apparently the man started out birdie-eagle-ace-birdie (six-under par through 4 holes), went into the clubhouse which is near the 4th green, and didn't come back out!

The man of which you speak of was J. Wood Platt and he was one of the great amateur players of all time.

"Platt in some way possessed a formula for handling Pine Valley as he played the first four holes in an incredible 6-under-par some years later. However, he walked off the fourth green, with the statement that he couldn’t do better, only worse."

http://gapgolf.org/detail.asp?id=64&pid=10

noonan

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 10:59:39 PM »
The 200 yard par 3 has a small narrow green

Josh Tarble

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 08:41:39 AM »

Didn't I hear you eagled the first at Crystal Downs? I suspect you came in better than 95.

That may be true.  But I also may have double #2 so it was just a standard par-par start  ;D

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 10:11:21 AM »
Not quite as tidy a start as Karen Stupples when she won the Women's British Open at Sunningdale when she started eagle-albatross in her final round.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 11:50:26 PM »
At one time Tony was seven under on the back side...after six or seven holes. In the end the course got him and all the leaders.

He and third day leader and fourth day leader, all in the last group, crashed and burned the last three holes to hand it to the leader in the clubhouse
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back