News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

U.S. Open: Let's play two again?
« on: June 24, 2014, 10:30:38 AM »
Geoff Shackelford says that after the success of the U.S. Open and U.S. Women's Open at Pinehurst, it's "just a matter of when and where double U.S. Opens are played again."

He proposes Torrey Pines as an ideal venue in 2021 when the south course is already slated to host the men. Reasons?

- Weather
- San Diego lodging, flight options
- The course (or courses)

Thoughts?  What other course would you see as being in the good graces of the USGA, and have the necessary infrastructure to host the men and women on back-to-back weeks?

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/06/so-back-to-back-opens-can-work.html

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mac Plumart

Re: U.S. Open: Let's play two again?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 10:57:39 AM »
I'm for it.  But why wait until 2021...let's do it sooner than that...make it a tradition.  Who's with me?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 10:59:15 AM »
Yeah go back to Torrey before Phil and Tiger are done.

JMEvensky

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 11:05:12 AM »
Wouldn't back to back Opens rule out virtually all private clubs? It's hard enough to get the great privates to give up their golf course for one week.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 11:15:03 AM »
Bethpage Black/Red
Chambers Bay
Erin Hills
Kohler

Josh Tarble

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 11:30:53 AM »
Bethpage Black/Red
Chambers Bay
Erin Hills
Kohler

A Kohler double would be interesting.  Maybe play the men's at the Straits and the Women's at Blackwolf Run.

Another mid-west venue that might be interesting would be Medinah - No.1 for the Women and No. 3 for the Men.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 11:34:09 AM »
Olympia Fields would be perfect.  The USGA has already done the logistics, so we know they can put 50,000 people out there everyday.  There's a train from downtown that has a station by the first tee of the North Course, so transportation is a snap.  There won't be a problem with hotels, either locally or downtown.  The North Course is elastic enough to handle the Women's Open as well.  And by the time they could get a date, Chicago would be well overdue for another US Open.  Finally, the US Amateur is there next year so the advance team will get another look at the venue.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 11:37:50 AM »
I just want the USGA to play wherever they can make the greatest profit in order for them to stockpile more than their $250MM in cash and to supplement their Fox Sports contract revenue.

Maybe then they'll stop sending me one mailing a month begging for $10.
H.P.S.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 11:42:40 AM »
Philly Cricket could do it.   ;D
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Terry Lavin

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 11:43:36 AM »

That didn't take long.  What kept you?   ;D
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 11:52:20 AM »
Pebble Beach seems ideal for a doubleheader, and I don't think there's a good explanation for the women never ever having their national championship there.

Winged Foot West (men) and East (women) would appeal to a lot of people too.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 11:54:49 AM »
Wouldn't back to back Opens rule out virtually all private clubs? It's hard enough to get the great privates to give up their golf course for one week.

I don't know club cultures, but maybe the opposite is true.  They already are giving up their course -- for months? -- to prepare for the tournament.  One more week might not add much to the total time.  

If they make money from both championships, it could pay off financially.  The course's reputation could only grow -- assuming the events are successes.  

Those are just my speculations though.  What do you guys think who belong to clubs?  

ChipRoyce

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 11:55:24 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but takes so long to disassemble everything and for the courses to heal after the Open, one more week for a lot more $ might be more than worthwhile to a private club?

ChipRoyce

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »
I think Torrey, Pebble and Riveria are overdone, over-exposed, etc...

I'm sure there are others, but Spyglass gets my vote for either an Open or PGA.

Russ Arbuthnot

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 11:59:49 AM »
I thought the point of having the back to back was that they played the same course. So splitting it between two courses at the same site doesn't really achieve the same purpose in my opinion. I realize that the yardages were different, but it was still interesting to compare the games of the men and women on the same holes, and you lose that by playing on separate courses.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 12:01:58 PM »
I thought the point of having the back to back was that they played the same course. So splitting it between two courses at the same site doesn't really achieve the same purpose in my opinion. I realize that the yardages were different, but it was still interesting to compare the games of the men and women on the same holes, and you lose that by playing on separate courses.

Agreed.

JMEvensky

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 12:06:57 PM »

I don't know club cultures, but maybe the opposite is true.  They already are giving up their course -- for months? -- to prepare for the tournament.  One more week might not add much to the total time.  

If they make money from both championships, it could pay off financially.  The course's reputation could only grow -- assuming the events are successes.  

Those are just my speculations though.  What do you guys think who belong to clubs?  

A club hosting an Open already has the reputation--for whom would it grow?

As to extra revenue,there seem to be clubs who've decided the "windfall" ain't worth it.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 12:23:42 PM »
I'm for it.  But why wait until 2021...let's do it sooner than that...make it a tradition.  Who's with me?

I'm with you, let's do it for all the majors
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 12:25:25 PM »
I wonder about the toll on the volunteer force.

At least a dozen volunteers mentioned how much they had been working when we attended on Thursday of the Women's event.  Most had been on or around the facility for ten days at that point, with four or so to go.

At least two said a version of "I really didn't know what I was getting into."

Going to a larger municipality might make finding volunteers easier, but the truth is that the event makes its millions on the backs of the folks who donate 40+ hours in exchange for a golf shirt and free round.

WW

Mike Hendren

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 12:28:17 PM »
Why not a Women's Masters?

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Nigel Islam

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2014, 02:32:47 PM »

I would love to see that!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2014, 02:38:46 PM »
Why not a Women's Masters?
+1
Would be nice to see back-to-back for The Open too.
atb

PCCraig

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 04:13:17 PM »
::)
H.P.S.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2014, 05:14:21 PM »

I'm with you, let's do it for all the majors

Like tennis. 

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2014, 06:36:36 PM »
I wonder about the toll on the volunteer force.

At least a dozen volunteers mentioned how much they had been working when we attended on Thursday of the Women's event.  Most had been on or around the facility for ten days at that point, with four or so to go.

At least two said a version of "I really didn't know what I was getting into."

Going to a larger municipality might make finding volunteers easier, but the truth is that the event makes its millions on the backs of the folks who donate 40+ hours in exchange for a golf shirt and free round.

WW

Really Wade?  Your quoted 10 days plus 4 days means people had been on or around the facility every day of both weeks.  The shifts were broken down in half days and the volunteer structure asked for at most 5 half days of volunteering if you worked both weeks.

Also you should change your last sentence because volunteers pay for their uniforms and I've never received a free round at the Opens I've volunteered at.  That being said I enjoy it and will continue to volunteer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back