News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean Remington (SBR)

They forgot that "Ladies go first"

The Womens Open should have been the first week.  It would have allowed them to keep the course set up a bit softer and slower for the Ladies and then dried it out for the Men.

The energy level and spectator turnout for the weekend of the Ladies event would have been much better and would have been a better showcase for them

If they ever attempt this again they should flip the schedule

Sam Morrow

Re: The biggest mistake the USGA made with back to back Opens
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 09:52:45 AM »
Fair points but the USGA isn't gonna risk the ladies needing the course for a Monday playoff.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 09:57:43 AM »
Fair points but the USGA isn't gonna risk the ladies needing the course for a Monday playoff.

Not quite right, Sam.

The women use a 3 hole playoff.  The USGA did not want to risk bad weather in June in North Carolina delaying the finish of the women's tournament until Monday.  This is what I heard Geoff Shackelford say.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Terry Lavin

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 10:03:23 AM »
And there's no doubt that the Women's Open drew more eyeballs coming after the men's championship. The women benefitted greatly and the golf course held up quite well.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Sam Morrow

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 11:06:44 AM »

Not quite right, Sam.

The women use a 3 hole playoff.  The USGA did not want to risk bad weather in June in North Carolina delaying the finish of the women's tournament until Monday.  This is what I heard Geoff Shackelford say.
thanks! When did they change to that format?

Nigel Islam

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 11:08:11 AM »
And there's no doubt that the Women's Open drew more eyeballs coming after the men's championship. The women benefitted greatly and the golf course held up quite well.

I think so too. I think they benefitted from having a champion everyone knows too.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 11:09:54 AM »

Not quite right, Sam.

I think about 5-10 years ago.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Brent Hutto

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 11:12:35 AM »
I'd venture the proportion of viewers tuned in to Sunday's final round who were only watching because Michelle Wie was in contention is very similar to the proportion of viewers who will tune in to this coming Thursday round solely because Tiger Woods is (expected to be) in the field.

From a very young age and before they won any professional tournaments, both Tiger and Michelle were big-time "needle movers" in their respective field. It makes me wonder if Tiger might have still been the most popular golfers on the planet even if his career majors total was a tiny fraction of what it is.

Lord knows Michelle Wie's popularity suffered hardly at all from a decade's delay in winning her first major.

Russ Arbuthnot

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 12:16:37 PM »
I had the same thought that the women should go first.

It has some advantages, some already stated, another being that it allows those unfamiliar with the course to become more familiar. One of the great things about Augusta or Sawgrass is that the viewers know the course very well and can compare year to year performance.

But then I realized that there might be some viewer fatigue, and part of the excitement of any golf tournament is the unknown of how the players will adapt to the course. Some of that excitement might be lost, if we've already watched the course for a week.

Therefore, I'm starting to think they just need to have the men's and women's tournament at the same time on the same course! ;)

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 12:18:33 PM »

Absolutely
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Paul Gray

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 12:32:23 PM »

I think so too. I think they benefitted from having a champion everyone knows too.

The guy is a former world number one and sank the putt for Europe to win the Ryder Cup. It's a sad reflection on America if no one on your side of the pond knows who Martin Kaymer is.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Howard Riefs

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 12:38:19 PM »

Not quite right, Sam.

The 3 hole aggregate playoff started in 2007.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/02/AR2007020201055.html

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Sam Morrow

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 06:25:56 PM »

Not quite right, Sam.

The 3 hole aggregate playoff started in 2007.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/02/AR2007020201055.html

Thanks Howard.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 10:06:06 PM »
Sean,

The U.S. Open for men ends on Father's Day.

That tradition wasn't about to be changed.

And, historically, the U.S. Women's Open has followed the Men's Open.

And that wasn't going to change.

Lastly, the Men's Open is the main show.

Steve Lang

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 10:13:10 PM »
 8)  Would the men have sought out the course notebooks of the Women?

Last time i played golf in Pinehurst area in June it was darn hot.. wasn't worried about rain in the least
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back