News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Gray

Re: Unsung Heroes - Great Holes on less known courses
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 06:53:56 PM »
Cristian,

Really like the look of the hole. I'll be very interested to find out where it is. Shame they haven't narrowed the fairway and made the hole entirely linear.  ;D
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Steve Lapper

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2014, 07:52:57 PM »
Anyone have a picture of #18 at Moray Old????
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 09:35:19 PM »
Thought I would mention #3 at Church Stretton.  The last of three one-shotters in a row, we make a climb reminiscent of Painswick's 1st. Upon reaching the tee we are greeted by an amusing sign.  

The shot at hand does little to help us regain our composure.  As on a few other holes, a tiny sliver of green or flag stick is all there is on show.

The green slides with the terrain...away from the tee.  Even in the softest of conditions one has to kick the tee shot up or likely send out a search party.

From the 4th tee one can see how the 3rd green sets on a wee plateau in a steep valley - superb greensite.  This is one of the few drop-shot 3s I really like simply because one still must judge the roll-out.

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 09:37:41 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 08:49:24 AM »
No Photo, but the 6th at New Mexico State's course in Las Cruces NM is a wonder of a short 4. About 330 or so, slight dog leg left uphill around a baranca that falls away to the left, fiendishly pitched green, back to front and right to left. Any one shot attempt left is a death sentence. Anything long sets up a dangerous pitch that can easily come off the front and head back down the fairway. A hole that tests the players ability to pitch precisely, while presenting a huge challenge to a long hitter. On a lengthy list of great short 4's that would include holes like 10 and 11 at Merion, 8 at Gulph Mills, 5 and 16 at Boston Golf Club, 13 at Piping Rock, and 7 at Ballyneal, the 6th at New Mexico State is one of the best I've  played.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 10:12:43 AM »
Great thread.  Keep these unsung  heroes coming.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back