News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Well Regarded Holes You Secretly Think Aren't All That Great.......
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2014, 11:14:36 PM »
Pat,

If you can't carry the 225 yards, or whatever, at CP 16, there is a mandate to layup, or at least an effective one. Or, you can dump a dozen $4 golf balls in the drink for no good reason....

That's not true, your numbers are off.

The carry from the back tee is in the 185-195 range if you go directly at the green.
Go safe left and the carry is 100.

But, if you're not playing the back tee, but the other tees, the carry is only 90 yards and that's directly at the green.
The carry to the green is about 185 as well.

Hence, for the better player, playing the back tees, the carry is manageable and for the lesser player, playing the other tees, the carry is fairly benign.

So, I don't see where you're coming from with respect to # 16

Your second comment basically sums up my intent in posting, "While I agree in general......".  I am not saying that the occasional really hard par 3 hole shouldn't exist, especially in dramatic situations, nor am I advocating any changes to existing holes. 

The question is, if you agree in general that you should be able to reach a par 3, would you, in today's world design another one where most or many can't?  It would have to be a similarly special situation.

While I would agree in principle, that's not the situation at CPC.
Read the numbers above regarding the carries.

Now, if an 18 handicap decides to play from the back tee, that's not the architect's fault, that's the golfer, either with a big ego or just trying to hit one of the best shots of his life on an iconic hole.

I can't blame him, irrespective of the reason, but, his failure to succeed can't be blamed on the architect.

As to what the thrill of a par 3 is for most golfers, I will disagree with you. The thrill is in a well struck golf shot, not what it will possibly bring next, a la striking a long and true drive.

We do disagree.
A well struck shot that sails long, left, right or short, while satisfying, is also disappointing.
Hitting the green and making par or better is what elevates the golfer's spirtis and ego.

No better feeling on earth, and no, I'm not a virgin......

While great contact is a reward in and of itself, without the accompanying intended result, it's fleeting at best.
A golfer hitting a well struck shot who makes bogey, won't remember and rejoice in that shot.
But, if he hit's a well struck shot and makes par or better, he will remember that shot, that hole and his score.

PS-As to TOC 17, I guess I include history as part of my definition of setting.

I can see that

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back