News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

SteveOgulukian

6th Hole @ The Creek - Wow
« on: June 03, 2014, 09:50:25 AM »
Had the pleasure of playing at The Creek recently and the club exceeded my lofty expectations.  Being a member there must be quite the treat and is a place that you could spend every summer day there without any hesitation.

As for the 6th hole, this has to be one of the best holes in the game.

The view from the tee box is as good as it gets and the preferred shot shape is draw that will give you the best angle to the green.  However, a tee shot that is left out to the right (which appears to be where 75% of tee shots end up) can be played by running it up through the front left of the green and watching the ball funnel towards the pin, or played through the air off the bank to the left and having it kick onto the green towards the pin.  Both of these options were utilized in my foursome (I went with the latter) and resulted in 4 footers for birdies. The pin was in the "middle" but tucked behind the front right bunker and mound. I would love to play this again and again with different pin positions and there are so many ways to play this hole.  This must be delight for members to play on a regular basis, as it is for a guest to play just once.

I don’t have pictures to share but they can easily be found.

What a fantastic hole, course, and club.  The atmosphere is top notch and the members and staff are extremely friendly and welcoming.  I consider myself very privileged to have had the opportunity to spend the day here.

Charlie_Bell

Re: 6th Hole @ The Creek - Wow
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 10:06:19 AM »
If I were forced to play one hole for the rest of my life, that might be my choice.

SteveOgulukian

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 10:10:35 AM »
Charlie,

If you were forced to do so with a playing partner then I'm available.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 10:29:04 AM »
Spartanburg, S.C.? Locust Valley, N.Y.?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Saltzman

Bill Brightly

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 11:48:59 AM »
Steve, you are right, it is a fabulous hole. Here are some of my photos:

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 12:00:20 PM »
Is this the ultimate punchbowl green?

Michael Blake

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 12:18:24 PM »
Nice thread by Chip G about the 6th green at The Creek.
With some nice insight from George Bahto.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40015.0.html

Gene Greco

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 01:28:25 PM »

I would say no.

Fishers Island Alps/Punchbowl #4
NGLA #16
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 01:57:44 PM »
The Creek is a great place.  It has some wonderful holes, yet almost everyone who plays it the first time comments on #6.  It is a great test.  I only have played the Creek once but hit a number of shots into the green. I couldn't figure out how best to play the shot. I'd love to get another shot at it. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

J_ Crisham

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 02:01:51 PM »

I would say no.

NGLA #16
Gene,   If you like 4 at Fishers you need to see #8 at Blue Mound and #12 at Chicago Golf - two of CBM and Raynor's best. One could also make the case that #16? at Mountain Lake is in that class. But we are splitting hairs:)
                                                                                                       Jack

Tim Martin

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 03:34:24 PM »

I would say no.

NGLA #16

Doc-The 16th at Southampton is pretty darn good!

Malcolm Mckinnon

Re: 6th Hole @ The Creek - Wow New
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 08:29:20 PM »
I love this hole. One of my favorite punchbowls.

Missing from your description is the fact that the first five holes play inland and only when you arrive at the 6th tee does the course begin the wonderful descent down to Long Island Sound with views out to the water. This is where the real drama of the Creek commences.

Another really fun downhill punchbowl is the 1st on the Charlie Banks Nine at Montclair GC.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 09:51:30 PM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 10:31:12 PM »
Actually I think it IS the best punchbowl green of them all, unless you count the 18th at Old Macdonald.  ;)

Steve, believe it or not, The Creek is fairly quiet in the summer.  Most of the members are up in Vermont or out in the Hamptons.  It's more of a spring and fall course for them!  In fact, we were told the superintendent back in the 1930s and 40s used to tear up his problem greens in June, when all the members went away, and would have them back in play by the time the crowd returned, none the wiser.

SteveOgulukian

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 07:39:27 AM »

Missing from your description is the fact that the first five hole play inland and only when you arrive at the 6th tee does the course begin the wonderful descent down to Long Island Sound with views out to the water. This is where the real drama of the Creek commences.

I actually reversed the nines and teed of on number 10.  This made for quite the interesting 1-2 punch to start the round.  What I did like about starting on the back nine was that I knew I would eventually work my way back to that part of the property.  When I got to holes 1 through 5, I was already so impressed by what I saw on holes 10 through 18 (and what lied ahead on 6-9) that it didn't really bother me that these holes were not up to the standard of the rest of the course; and before I even knew it I was standing on the 6th tee box and was back in "my happy place" as Happy Gilmore would say.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 08:13:37 AM »
and it's the second best course in town...RHE

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 08:35:30 AM »
Let's not forget that # 6 is a very difficult hole.

RHE,

I think you might get some opinions to the contrary on that.

Steve,

I love # 10 and 11.

11 is one of my favorite par 3's in golf.
Variety, wind, water and a hybrid Biarritz.
It's pretty neat.
The Creek is special

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back