News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Warren

Daytona Beach Golf Club - Ross design
« on: June 02, 2014, 01:19:14 PM »
Going down to Daytona in a couple weeks and I'm trying to figure out where to play.  I know many have said Deltona and Vic Hills, but noticed this course has 36 holes and 18 of them are attributed as a Ross course.  Anybody have any idea about this course?  It is relatively inexpensive (I know it is the hot season) and pretty close to our hotel, so thought I might try to jump out for a quick round at this place since it is pretty close.  The other 18 is designed by an old pro at the course so who knows what that could bring, but I am very interested in the Ross 18 if anyone knows anything about it.

Rees Milikin

Re: Daytona Beach Golf Club - Ross design
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 01:34:18 PM »
Funny you post this, I was there last week and about to play the Ross course (not sure how much is original, hard to tell driving to the clubhouse), but was rained out.  Let me know what day you want to play and I would like to meet up with you.

Adam Warren

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 02:19:17 PM »
Will do.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 03:11:52 PM »
Good or bad, it is appreciated if you guys can post something. I am in the area twice a year and typically use Daytona as our beach. Never heard a thing about the golf. Thanks

Adam Warren

Re: Daytona Beach Golf Club - Ross design PLUS other Daytona golf
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 03:35:34 PM »
I agree.  I will probably try to go to this course, LPGA, and maybe Deltona or VH while I am in the area. 

If only choosing between Deltona and VH, what would some of you choose? 

Also, which LPGA course? 

Adam Warren

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 06:11:34 PM »
Apologies to Rees, but got asked last minute to play here while I am in town by another person that is here.

It is a decent 30 dollar course, but nothing major.  Very short and very open.  Not much requiring playing angles into the green.  Plenty of hit driver- wedge and two putt go to next hole.

Not sure if it is the norm or just because it's summer but the greens were super slow.  Kind of long and soft so the Bermuda was almost exclusively grain roll and very little break to read.  Maybe they can slick them up in the cooler seasons, but honestly they were not fun to putt on.  Wasn't a whole lot as far as levels or large breaks to the greens either. 

Interesting that a railroad track runs right down the middle of the course between a few holes.  No idea if it is active. 

I would be interested to see the course in tighter conditions, but it is mostly uninteresting, straightforward golf.  I shot 73 with very little mental work at all.  Most work was done on the greens trying to get the speed and grain (I never have to read grain in KY).

Looking to play golf some more while I am here.  Contact me if interested.  PM is best so I am notified.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back