News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Anyone know how many acres Wintonbury Hills in Connecticut covers? Doesn't seem like all that much.

I doubt it, there is some steep enough stuff there I find it unlikely you could do it in under 140.

Wintonbury is around 145, less if you don't consider the extraneous bits.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Richard Hetzel

Blackheath (1989, Kevin Aldridge) in Rochester Hills, MI is right at 140.

Good call, I even played there a few years back…a bit crowded to say the least...
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Richard Hetzel

I went back and looked at the pics I took of Blackheath, and to be honest (it's been a few years) the course was pretty darn fun; especially at $20 with a cart for 18 holes.

Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Jaeger Kovich

Anyone know how many acres Wintonbury Hills in Connecticut covers? Doesn't seem like all that much.

I doubt it, there is some steep enough stuff there I find it unlikely you could do it in under 140.

Wintonbury is around 145, less if you don't consider the extraneous bits.

5 acres is about 2-2.5x the size of 18 avg size greens. 140 divided by 18 is 7.7. acres per hole on average. It can also be the difference making 1 hole corridor wide enough for an extra hole, or an entire par -3/short-4.

There is already that awkward corner with the volcano bunkers in near the clubhouse. I dont remember the #'s, but you can tell its not the best shape but was needed for jamming some more golf in there anyways.

BCowan

Blackheath, I'll have to give it a try.  Are they allowing walking now?

Lester George

Providence Golf Course, 120 acres, Richmond, VA

Lester

Russ Arbuthnot

Blackheath, I'll have to give it a try.  Are they allowing walking now?
I've walked a couple of times now. It might depend on when your tee time is, but they didn't seem to care. It's not a hard walk, but they don't have the grass cut to really support walkers. Not many paths from tee to fairway, etc. So, there are a couple jaunts through the native. It think it's just not that common there to walk with all the league play they get in the evenings, the retirees in the mornings, and weekenders. I think they have been doing an excellent job with maintenance otherwise. Let me know when you want to go play there.

Richard Hetzel

I played Eaglesticks yesterday for the first time, and for a compactly laid out course, it was very interesting and quite fun.  Maybe I will post the pictures later this evening, I don't see any photo reviews of this course.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:39:49 PM by Richard Hetzel »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back