News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Graham

Argyll & Bute
« on: May 28, 2014, 04:41:05 AM »
My wife and I are going to a friend's birthday gathering for a couple of nights in Portavadie in mid July.

I'm tempted to take a pencil bag with a half set of clubs and slip away for a couple of hours. Does anyone have any recommendations of courses in the area? It looks as though the 9 hole course, Kyles of Bute just outside Tighnabruaich is the nearest to Portavadie. As much I would love to play Machrihanish again, I don't think I would manage the ferry crossing, drive and 18 holes in a morning.

As we will be driving through from Edinburgh my other thought was to play The Carrick at Cameron House on the way home. I've yet to play the course but having only ever read underwhelming reviews I'm not sure if it is worth the £85 they are charging.

Any suggestions would be great.

Michael

Mark Pearce

Re: Argyll & Bute
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 04:51:43 AM »
The Carrick isn't a great course but it isn't a bad one, either.  I quite enjoyed it.  £85 is a bit steep, though.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 05:14:26 AM »
Cardross is a a good course and right along your way (SE of Helensburgh).  It's a bit hilly, but very much worth playing.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 08:34:36 AM »
Michael

Rich's suggestion is a cracker. Played Cardross a few times last year and was very impressed. Some panaramic views as well if that floats your boat. Also on that side of Glasgow you have Ranfurly Castle and Kilmalcolm. Haven't played the later but hear that its a good moorland course.

Re Tighnnabruich, my friend has a holiday house round there and he plays it quite often and says its an enjoyable hit if you like out of the way, basic, rural, old fashioned golf.

Niall

Michael Graham

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 05:01:39 AM »
Thanks for the feedback gents. I did think £85 for The Carrick was a bit steep. I've read lots about the drainage issues over the years. I'll definitely look into Cardross.

Michael

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 09:25:55 AM »
Tony Pioppi, who spent last summer in Kintyre, told me the nine holer at Carradale was quite magnificent. Still a hike, but not as far as Machrihanish.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back