News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Gray

Re: Most OVERRATED holes in golf
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2014, 04:02:35 PM »

On a more serious note, not one that too many will know but the 4th at Liphook receives, in my opinion,  far too much love.

Why?  I loved that hole!   Long par 4 with a carry over heather and a sunken road out into a wide fairway, followed by a long shot into a green that's guarded by an insidious hollow left front of the green.   You don't want to hear the ugly details of my triple bogey after tugging a pitch into that pit of despair to lose the hole to Chappers with a stroke in hand.   :'(

Fear not Bill, everyone loves that hole......except me!

I don't dislike it but I equally wonder what people see in it. It's a straight away, long par 4 which does exactly what you expect. I'm not sure what's so outstanding about that. Magically transport it to America and stick it on a RTJ course and people would say it was just another example of penal length over thought. Well, they'd question what the hell a bit of heathland was doing there first but I'm sure you take my point!

Conversely, I could hit short irons at the par 3 third all day long but no one ever mentions that hole.

In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Sean_A

« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2014, 06:38:32 PM »
Craig

The 17th at Rye is rated - is it  :D

I didn't know Liphook's 4th was rated either.  Not a bad hole, but certainly not a standout at Liphook.  The hole I would say is over-rated at Liphook is #13.  Very pretty hole, but the stream makes no sense.  I think it would probably be better as a long par 4 with a tee much closer to the previous green.  I don't understand what the long walk back offers in terms of hole quality.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Paul Gray

« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2014, 07:47:25 PM »
Sean,

I actually quite like the stream being there as I think it still provides a bit of 'do or die' for many players. That said, the walk back to make it a par 5 is a bit of an unnecessary trek. Probably telling you what you already know but the stream is the historic (and actually the present day) border between Hampshire and West Sussex.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 05:58:19 PM by Paul Gray »
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2014, 08:12:03 PM »
To address the original question...

To me, there is one particular hole that screams overrated, over-hyped and "over served": the 16th hole at TPC Scottsdale wins this by a landslide.

Scott McWethy

« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2014, 08:25:38 PM »
I've always thought that the 16th at Oakland Hills (South) was overrated.  It's a tough hole but I think it gets way too much of the spotlight for an overall fantastic golf course. 

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2014, 08:37:00 PM »
Often, a hole tagged as "Signature" is overrated.

Example - 16 at Hazeltine?

John Sabino

« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2014, 12:20:38 PM »
My vote would be Macrahanish's opening hole, which some describe as the best opening hole in the world. Putting aside the fact that Preswtick, Merion, Oakmont, The Old Course, Yeamans Hall and Pine Valley have better opening holes, the lack of water there most of the time greatly diminishes the idea. When I have been there and in almost all pictures I see you are hitting over sand and not water. Not to say it isn't an interesting and fun opening hole by best opener in the world it is not.
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Niall C

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2014, 01:58:57 PM »
My vote would be Macrahanish's opening hole, which some describe as the best opening hole in the world. Putting aside the fact that Preswtick, Merion, Oakmont, The Old Course, Yeamans Hall and Pine Valley have better opening holes, the lack of water there most of the time greatly diminishes the idea. When I have been there and in almost all pictures I see you are hitting over sand and not water. Not to say it isn't an interesting and fun opening hole by best opener in the world it is not.

John

See if you give the Club advance notice, they will arrange for the tide to be in, at no extra charge, honest.

Niall

Sean_A

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »

Not many golf holes play over a part of an ocean.  For that reason alone its hard to imagine over-rating Machrihanish's 1st.  Additionally, I struggle to think of many other opening holes in GB&I which can match the majesty and options available as Mach's 1st - is there really a better tee shot on the course?  Man, sometimes this crowd can be very tough!

Ciao   
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Thomas Dai

Re: Most OVERRATED holes in golf New
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2014, 01:41:05 PM »
Light the blue touch paper and retire to a safe distance -

Holes 1-10 at TOC would be on my list.

atb
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:50:35 PM by Thomas Dai »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back