News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

My favorite is Bunker Hill in Brush, Co.  We have all seen it just off the highway as we drive from Denver to the Sand Hills.  There aren't really any bunkers or hills and it is named Bunker Hill because of its affiliation with the local American Legion.  Great nine holes on land with the texture we have all grown to love.  Please stop by and throw them a bone, it takes around an hour to play and costs around $25.

Brian Finn

Not a big secret by any means, but I recently played Swope Memorial in Kansas City (en route to Prairie Dunes).  It is a sporty Tillinghast on a pretty neat property.  There is elevation change throughout and a very cool set of greens, with tiers and undulation that I would guess haven't changed much since 1934.  I was impressed by the conditions as well.  $20 to walk. 
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

John Kavanaugh

Not a big secret by any means, but I recently played Swope Memorial in Kansas City (en route to Prairie Dunes).  It is a sporty Tillinghast on a pretty neat property.  There is elevation change throughout and a very cool set of greens, with tiers and undulation that I would guess haven't changed much since 1934.  I was impressed by the conditions as well.  $20 to walk. 

Brian,

Funny you should mention that since I am driving from St. Louis to Omaha next week.  Would you pass on Arbor Links to play Swope?

On another note I just tried to find the write up of a local favorite of a poster on this site between Omaha and the Sand Hills.  Any ideas?

Brian Finn

Brian,

Funny you should mention that since I am driving from St. Louis to Omaha next week.  Would you pass on Arbor Links to play Swope?

On another note I just tried to find the write up of a local favorite of a poster on this site between Omaha and the Sand Hills.  Any ideas?

I am not familiar with Arbor Links, so I can't compare it to Swope.  Swope is great, but more of a traditional parkland style, if that helps at all.  If you are seeking a more rugged, natural style, Swope might not be the best.  It is a lot of fun and a great value, though. 

Regarding Omaha to the Sand Hills, I am sadly not a huge help there either.  I have played only 4 courses in NE - all very close to Omaha (Omaha CC, Shadow Ridge CC, Quarry Oaks GC, Stone Creek GC).  If you haven't played Quarry Oaks, you might consider that.  I enjoyed it.  Omaha CC is really good, and very worthwhile to check out if you have not played it.  My brother lives in Omaha if you are looking for a game in town.

I am actually seeking similar input, as I will be driving from Omaha to Dismal for the 5th Major.  Right now, we are looking at mostly 'usual suspects' like Wild Horse, and possily a round or two in Omaha depending on timing. 
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Ben Voelker

Brian,

I am not familiar with Arbor Links, so I can't compare it to Swope.  Swope is great, but more of a traditional parkland style, if that helps at all.  If you are seeking a more rugged, natural style, Swope might not be the best.  It is a lot of fun and a great value, though. 

Regarding Omaha to the Sand Hills, I am sadly not a huge help there either.  I have played only 4 courses in NE - all very close to Omaha (Omaha CC, Shadow Ridge CC, Quarry Oaks GC, Stone Creek GC).  If you haven't played Quarry Oaks, you might consider that.  I enjoyed it.  Omaha CC is really good, and very worthwhile to check out if you have not played it.  My brother lives in Omaha if you are looking for a game in town.

I am actually seeking similar input, as I will be driving from Omaha to Dismal for the 5th Major.  Right now, we are looking at mostly 'usual suspects' like Wild Horse, and possily a round or two in Omaha depending on timing. 

Brian,

I grew up in Lincoln and I think one of the local municipal courses there, Highlands (designed by Jeff Brauer) is very good and is practically unheard of.

Ben

Jason Thurman

Arbor Links is really very good. I like it a lot better than Quarry Oaks, which is a beautiful property but a bit common as a golf course.

The Lied Lodge is excellent and eating on the back deck on the right night feels a bit like what Heaven probably feels like. The ArborLinks golf course has some pretty great holes. The only criticism I have is that it can beat the hell out of you if you're missing fairways, as the native cut is impenetrable. But if you play Victoria National regularly, you probably don't need to worry too much.

I also enjoy Woodland Hills in Eagle, NE. Not sure if it's really on the way to anywhere, but if you're driving to Nebraska City from Lincoln it's worth stopping at on the way to ArborLinks. It's a nicely done residential course with some really cool holes.

How many people stop at Dannebrog on the way to the Sandhills? It's one of the most memorable places I've played golf. There's nothing like a herd of cattle following your group down the first fairway like a gallery trailing the final group, and then stopping for Thursday night pizza at the Danish Baker.

Does anyone play Bridgeport Country Club, right nextdoor to Pete Dye GC? Is it worth doing?

Hawthorne Hills in Lima, OH is worth stopping by on the way to Inverness or on the way down to Dayton. It's a fun 18-holer with a 9 hole executive course hidden in the trees inside the front nine.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Chris DeToro

Pilgrim's Run on my way up to the Traverse area in MI. 

Nigel Islam

+1 on Swope. I really liked it, although they might just over embrace their Tillie heritage a touch.

Carl Rogers

not quite relevant to this thread, if traveling up or down east coast US...
Riverfront in Suffolk, VA is an early Tom D & Renaissance effort, little changed from 1997, a precurser of things to come
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Terry Lavin

I'd say Wichita CC on the way to Prairie Dunes, but Barney won't go to PD.   ;D
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Gib_Papazian

Southhampton - an excellent Raynor that gets no love because its a hot chick surrounded by Victoria Secret runway models.   

J_ Crisham

Flint Hills , like Wichita CC is another very good course on the way to Prairie Dunes that is bypassed often. On one trip to PD we did play at Wichita CC and really enjoyed the entire experience. Diddle design with cool green complexes- terrific professional staff and a buffet lunch to die for.

Ally Mcintosh

1. Kilspindie on the way to North Berwick or Gullane
2. Murcar on the way to Royal Aberdeen and Cruden Bay
3. Strandhill on the way to County Sligo / Rosses Point
4. Corballis on the way to The Island or Portmarnock

Brandon Urban

Living just outside of Kansas City, Swope is one of my favorite places to play.

Last year we drove past Pelican Beach in Hyannis, NE on our way from Bayside to Dismal. I had read about it and the view from the road looked really cool. Seeing as how we only had about an hour of daylight, we couldn't make it work. I will go out of my way to play there this year.
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Pete Balzer

Living just outside of Kansas City, Swope is one of my favorite places to play.

Last year we drove past Pelican Beach in Hyannis, NE on our way from Bayside to Dismal. I had read about it and the view from the road looked really cool. Seeing as how we only had about an hour of daylight, we couldn't make it work. I will go out of my way to play there this year.

Pelican is a frequent emergency nine stop either going or returning  fro THE Prairie Club.

Blake Conant

Kavanaugh, have you seen/played Staley Farms in KC?

Mark McKeever

Not enough people stop in to play George Wright GC in Boston on their way to play Myopia, TCC, Essex, Salem, Eastward Ho!, etc.

Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

John Kavanaugh

Kavanaugh, have you seen/played Staley Farms in KC?

No, the only course that I recall playing in Kansas City is Tiffany Greens.  Happy to report that I just booked Arbor Links.  Looks great.

On my trip back home I may catch a lessor known course as our legs and budget will be exhausted.

Tom_Doak

A couple from the UK, since I'm just finishing up my book:

1.  Musselburgh Old Links when going out to East Lothian.  It's the original nine holes that was home to The Honourable Company (and also Royal Burgess GC and Royal Musselburgh GC) before they moved out to the suburbs.  Great history lesson.

2.  Boat of Garten, on the way north to Castle Stuart and Royal Dornoch.

3.  Dooks, on the way from Tralee to Waterville.

4.  Reigate Heath, the wonderful nine holes not far from Walton Heath.

5.  The Valley course at Royal Portrush, you don't even have to get back in the car.

David_Tepper

"Boat of Garten, on the way north to Castle Stuart and Royal Dornoch."

In addition to Boat of Garten, too many golfers overlook Fortrose & Rosemarkie and too few bother to play Tain, Golspie and Brora.

Ronald Montesano

Southhampton - an excellent Raynor that gets no love because its a hot chick surrounded by Victoria Secret runway models.   

Disagree...especially since the restoration/tree removal, it is awfully amazing and respected, and Gene Greco is an unbelievable host.

When I was on the media shuttle from Sebonack to parking lot last June, we drove by the back end of Southampton every day. I heard some British kids exclaim, upon seeing Southamption, "that looks like our kind of course, not like the other ones around here."
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Thomas Dai

"Boat of Garten, on the way north to Castle Stuart and Royal Dornoch."
...too many golfers overlook Fortrose & Rosemarkie and too few bother to play Tain, Golspie and Brora.

Echo this comment and add some of the other wee ones up that way as highlighted recently by James Boon.

Plus Castlerock (both Mussenden-18 & Bann-9) when travelling from Portrush/Portstewart to or from Ballyliffin by the delightful, shouldn't be missed in the open season, Lough Foyle ferry route. Your missing a treat.

atb

Jordan Standefer

Not that the Vegas area has a ton of greats, but I'm certainly glad I played Sand Hallow in Hurricane, UT on a road trip last year.

I can't imagine a lot of golfers make the trip from Vegas (2 hours) or Mesquite (1 hour), but it was a blast to play.

Phil McDade

Fraserburgh, a short drive from the more acclaimed Cruden Bay:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/scotland/fraserburgh-golf-club/

Jason Topp

I love these kinds of courses but this website is so good at sniffing them out that it is tough to come up with many.  Some that I really liked even though they were not the focus of the destination.  The closest I can come up with is Western Gailes on the way to Prestwick. However I think too many make the effort for it to be a worthy choice for this list. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back