News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Check out  http://handicap.golfdigest.com/   Right off the bat they tell you it is not for USGA competitions but only 3% of all USGA handicap holders compete in the competitions anyway.  This is all about the $$$$...Watch.  Golf Now and Golf channel will have one and Yahoo has one.  This stuff is going to compete. 
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Michael Moore

It can't compete because it is not a recognized handicap. As a board member of a state golf association I am keenly aware of the race to the bottom. The pressure is coming from fringe golf associations catering to niche participants, not from magazines and search engines.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Mark Steffey

no golfer is showing up to a 3day with this 'number' and participating at that.

Brent Hutto

I'd say roughly 90% of the golfers I've met OUTSIDE OF MY OWN CLUB consider a handicap to be a number the designates how good a player you are. Nothing more. These are the guys into "testing themselves" or "improving" or whatever other mumbo-jumbo they think is captured by the number "12.9" or "+2.2" or what have you.

There's a world of players out there who don't participate in any competition more organized than a $2 Nassau with junk bets and automatic presses. And within their usual groups they don't play off their actual number anyway but rather some mutually agreed upon number of strokes given or taken.

These magazine and retail store based deals are as good as anything else to the public course golfer who wants a precise number to track his "progress" as a golfer. And indirectly to measure his worth as a human being, in some cases. If they can also use it when they sign up for some charity scramble hit-and-giggle that's good too. But the main purpose is just to know "how good you are".

Bet you all these freebie or retail or web-based alternative 'caps will come bundled with some kind of app and/or website to track various self-improvement statistics and plot out graphs of the golfer's "skill" over time. Millions of golfers are not into competing, they are in to golf as a skill mastery and self-congratulatory activity.

Mike_Young

It can't compete because it is not a recognized handicap. As a board member of a state golf association I am keenly aware of the race to the bottom. The pressure is coming from fringe golf associations catering to niche participants, not from magazines and search engines.

I think it can compete.  Golf Associations don't like to talk about public golf that much other than as a feel good thing.  I'm all for State Golf Associations etc but so many smaller public courses don't have the number of guys wanting handicaps to pay the base fee for membership.  I realize many state associations don't require such but some do.  Don't think for a minute that GolfNow will not have a handicap soon and eventually their own consulting etc for all types of golf course issues.  For most guys it is recognized enoughIMHO.

Mike Sweeney

As a 10+ year member of a website with 1500 or so participants surrounded by 60 million world wide golfers, and as a member of Kabul Golf Club, I am VERY comfortable as a "FRINGE" golfer.

Am I going to be required to produce my Manhattan golf handicap over July 4th? We don't have any golf courses in my hometown. Perhaps Mohammad Afzal Abdul can update my away handicap! (you can google it)  :D

Mike_Young

Michael, With due respect that race to the bottom you are keenly aware of started at the top....

Mike Sweeney

Michael, With due respect that race to the bottom you are keenly aware of started at the top....

You need to make a Maine trip with me/us one of these days. You think you are the Southerner who has the "North" figured out. Trust me, neither of us knows jack sheeet about Maine :)

For crissakes, most of Maine thinks Mr Moore is from Northern Massachusetts.

Mike_Young

You need to make a Maine trip with me/us one of these days. You think you are the Southerner who has the "North" figured out. Trust me, neither of us knows jack sheeet about Maine :)

For crissakes, most of Maine thinks Mr Moore is from Northern Massachusetts.
Michael,
I have a good buddy from here that lives in Maine half the year and now most all of the year.  Good player and I thnik he even moved his handicap to there...been there a few times....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back