News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

FYI - Jack Nicklaus' Greatest 18 (British) Open Holes
« on: May 21, 2014, 11:18:32 AM »
If you have forty minutes or so, I found this to be very well done - JN going through, hole by hole, his ideal composite Open course, and explaining why he likes each hole. I found the dual perspective he provides -- architect and champion golfer -- very interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bue_7evXi2U

EG - He starts with the 1st at Birkdale, the 2nd at Muirfield, the 3rd at Hoylake, the 4th at St George's etc.

Peter

David_Tepper

Re: FYI - Jack Nicklaus' Greatest 18 (British) Open Holes
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 01:07:53 PM »
Peter -

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the video. It is further confirmation that Jack likes holes with elevated tees!

DT

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 02:27:45 PM »
You're welcome, David.

I found it all very charming and informative - in most cases. JN talks just like any other golfer about what he sees/feels/fears on a golf hole, but then gives some extra insight from/into the mind of a top flight player in tournament conditions, and also his views as an architect

I honestly can't remember the last time I enjoyed a JN interview as much. And he himself genuinely seems to be enjoying himself talking about Open golf.

Peter

David Davis

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 03:09:14 PM »
Peter,

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed this as well. It's interesting to hear JN talk about this from his personal view. I don't think I'd enjoy playing the course he describes and perhaps it's one of the reasons his courses I've played so far don't blow me away. I wonder if during architecture he thinks of the course mainly from his standpoint, like he did when making up his best 18 Open holes. 7500 + yards of links golf in the wind would be ridiculous hard and like he says he wonders if any pros could be close to par. Architecture through the eyes of the best players like Tiger or Jack seems extra challenging for the rest of us. They are so much better than the other pros, I think a lot of what interests them are like Jack was saying, what would be the toughest test to bring the most out of their games and shot making skills.

Perhaps impossible for us mere mortals.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Cristian

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 03:13:46 PM »
JN on RSG 4: "The green is not anything exceptional"

I am guessing he has not been there for a while........

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 04:58:07 PM »
You're welcome, David.

I found it all very charming and informative - in most cases. JN talks just like any other golfer about what he sees/feels/fears on a golf hole, but then gives some extra insight from/into the mind of a top flight player in tournament conditions, and also his views as an architect

I honestly can't remember the last time I enjoyed a JN interview as much. And he himself genuinely seems to be enjoying himself talking about Open golf.

Peter

I was there at the 2005 Open Ch, never saw him having as much fun.  I got a few of the £5 notes bearing his likeness. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back