News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael George

Kohler 5th Course
« on: May 14, 2014, 10:33:33 AM »

News on the 5th course at Kohler:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20140513/GPG03/305130181?gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

A Kohler official indicated that it would be a top 50 golf course in the world and better than Whistling Straits......I obviously wish them the best, but wow, nothing like setting the bar high.

Can we expect all future high profile developments to follow in Donald Trump's footsteps and make bold claims about how great the golf course is going to be?  If so, I really feel bad for the architects.  How do you live up to that?

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Ian Mackenzie

Re: Kohler 5th Course
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 11:53:27 AM »
Perhaps Kohler is feeling the heat from Erin Hills and the pending Sand Valley.
I live in Chicago and went to the American Club (Riverbend, actually) with my wife last summer.

It was the 3rd weekend in July - prime time in WI - and the MV and River course were WIDE open.
No, I'm not talking a few openings here. I'm talking EMPTY at 1:30 pm with the parking lot 1/3 full. We teed off at 2 and did not see another group on the course.

Did not go to Irish or Straits.
But, the Straits, at close to $500 all-in with a caddie, is not a course I intend to play more than once every 2 or 3 years.

The 5th course is going to have to be something special to distinguish itself. Dont know if Pete Dye will do it. Has anyone heard.

Jud_T

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 12:05:16 PM »
There's another thread saying Pete's doing it.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jim Sherma

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 12:30:09 PM »
I've never been to any of the Kohler properties and have to say that a 5th pete Dye course adds absoloutely zero incremental interest in choosing it as a future destination. I have no doubt that it is a wonderful destination but I just don't see where this would increase the desirability on the margin.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 12:54:53 PM »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Matthew Rose

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 12:56:24 PM »
As much a fan of Dye that I am, I worry that having five courses at one resort is overkill. I'm not convinced it would be different or unique enough from the others.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Mike Bowen

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 12:20:18 AM »
I'm a huge fan of rustic, low maintenance golf courses.  I think the biggest advantage is the savings that can be passed on to the golfer.  But how does one justify a $500 green fee.  Bandon and Cabot are not even close to this price.  The only two advantages that the American Club might have are location and a more patriotic name.   ;)

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 09:33:19 AM »
The only two advantages that the American Club might have are location and a more patriotic name.   ;)

...and a history of hosting major championships...
H.P.S.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 11:14:07 AM »
The only two advantages that the American Club might have are location and a more patriotic name.   ;)

Location is a pretty darn big factor.  It's fairly easy driving distance of four pretty good sized markets if you're going for a weekend, and two if you're just going for a day.  Just a few weekends ago I left my apartment early Saturday morning, played 36 holes, and drove home on the same night.  I would imagine the number of people who can do that at Bandon and Cabot Links is pretty small.  There's at least 20 million people who can do that at Kohler.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 11:16:46 AM by Bill Seitz »

Andrew Buck

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 12:02:07 PM »
The only two advantages that the American Club might have are location and a more patriotic name.   ;)

Location is a pretty darn big factor.  It's fairly easy driving distance of four pretty good sized markets if you're going for a weekend, and two if you're just going for a day.  Just a few weekends ago I left my apartment early Saturday morning, played 36 holes, and drove home on the same night.  I would imagine the number of people who can do that at Bandon and Cabot Links is pretty small.  There's at least 20 million people who can do that at Kohler.

What I can't wrap my head around is how a 5th course is going to bring in any additional players.  It's already considered the premiere golf destination in the midwest for the avid golfer (especially those that aren't GCA "educated"), provides nice variety and a course that has hosted majors.  I guess I can see some groups coming back one more time to see the new course, but not sure the one-time kick associated with that justifies the expense to add a course. 

Just hard for me to imagine, in that location at that price point given current utilization that it's the right financial move.  Then again, I'm sure Mr Kohler is aware of what he's doing, and there is always a chance the motivation is beyond profit. 

Jason Thurman

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 12:45:19 PM »
It's already considered the premiere golf destination in the midwest for the avid golfer (especially those that aren't GCA "educated")

What destination does the more refined palate of an educated golfer consider to be superior? Please share your tastes so the unwashed masses can improve theirs.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 12:55:11 PM »

Just hard for me to imagine, in that location at that price point given current utilization that it's the right financial move.  Then again, I'm sure Mr Kohler is aware of what he's doing, and there is always a chance the motivation is beyond profit. 

Herb and his family have a net worth of $6B and run a private company with $5B annual revenues. Spending a few million on a golf course is akin to a rounding error. 
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jud_T

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 01:05:36 PM »

Just hard for me to imagine, in that location at that price point given current utilization that it's the right financial move.  Then again, I'm sure Mr Kohler is aware of what he's doing, and there is always a chance the motivation is beyond profit.  

Herb and his family have a net worth of $6B and run a private company with $5B annual revenues. Spending a few million on a golf course is akin to a rounding error.  

Yes,

But he should only hire architects that have the GCA stamp of approval.

P.S. Is his middle name Garden?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 01:15:40 PM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Andrew Buck

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 01:09:55 PM »
It's already considered the premiere golf destination in the midwest for the avid golfer (especially those that aren't GCA "educated")

What destination does the more refined palate of an educated golfer consider to be superior? Please share your tastes so the unwashed masses can improve theirs.

I'm not offering any that are better.  I simply know these courses have received some level of criticism here.  I was trying to avoid that debate to stipulate that almost everyone would consider it the premiere destination, even if some on GCA prefer Lawsonia or similar. 

Terry Lavin

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 01:11:04 PM »

The King of the Links opining on the King of the Sinks!  Well said. 
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Andrew Buck

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 01:20:27 PM »

Just hard for me to imagine, in that location at that price point given current utilization that it's the right financial move.  Then again, I'm sure Mr Kohler is aware of what he's doing, and there is always a chance the motivation is beyond profit.  

Good point, which is why I stipulated a motivation beyond profit.  

If he would like to spend several million to build a course, and another million or so annually to maintain a course simply because he wants another course more than he wants his money, that's great and I welcome it.  I understand it's not changing his life.

If it's a response to heat from Erin Hills and Sand Valley on the business side, as suggested in this thread, I'd be initially skeptical that it would provide the benefit they're looking for long term.  If it's a simply a desire to control as many great golf courses as he can, sounds great to me.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 01:41:33 PM by Andrew Buck »

Jason Thurman

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 02:04:10 PM »
I'm not going to ask a bunch of questions about everyone's motivations. If we're going to get one more public-accessible lakeshore course in this current climate for course construction, I'm all for it. If we get one more course from the retired 88 year old greatest living architect in the process, even better. The worst thing that could possibly happen is a course that I'm not interested in playing, and I'll happily lay down the few million dollars of Herb's money on the offhand chance that something incredible happens.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 02:30:41 PM »
I'm not going to ask a bunch of questions about everyone's motivations. If we're going to get one more public-accessible lakeshore course in this current climate for course construction, I'm all for it. If we get one more course from the retired 88 year old greatest living architect in the process, even better. The worst thing that could possibly happen is a course that I'm not interested in playing, and I'll happily lay down the few million dollars of Herb's money on the offhand chance that something incredible happens.

We certainly can agree on that. 

Mike Bowen

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 09:48:46 PM »

If you're into that kind of thing.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 10:09:46 PM »
    I spend 3 months a year at a place with 5 Pete Dye courses.  I'm not complaining.

David Kelly

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 10:12:39 PM »
Pete Dye's involvement in a new course at his age now will mean heavy input from Perry and P.B. and that doesn't inspire confidence.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 10:42:45 PM »
Pete Dye's involvement in a new course at his age now will mean heavy input from Perry and P.B. and that doesn't inspire confidence.

Why do you say that? As far as I know PB and Perry had no role at French Lick. I think when Pete is excited about a course he usually handles it on his own. I am just more worried about how much creativity an 88 year old man has left in the tank. It would be nice to see Pete Dye do something a little unexpected to make this course stand out from the 4 others.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

RJ_Daley

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2014, 10:43:27 PM »
I have to think that Herb Kohler is just as hopelessly addicted to the game and loves the fields of play as much we poor obcessed souls, but has a larger item line in the fun and recreation budget than the rest of us, except Mucci and Hammy.  ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

PCCraig

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 08:32:28 AM »

If you're into that kind of thing.

Well, I'm not but I'd guess that 99% of golfers are...and most will happily pay $500 once or twice in their lives to play a public major championship site. 
H.P.S.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2014, 08:43:32 AM »

Why do you say that? As far as I know PB and Perry had no role at French Lick. I think when Pete is excited about a course he usually handles it on his own. I am just more worried about how much creativity an 88 year old man has left in the tank. It would be nice to see Pete Dye do something a little unexpected to make this course stand out from the 4 others.

I'm actually excited for Pete to get another chance to build a great course. Blackwolf Run was my favorite course at the time that I played it and is still one of the very best IMO. Two parts of this that worry me a bit are (1) that this new course is obviously being built for the pros--so it will probably be over the top difficult and (2) the results from French Lick, which were creative but very odd. I'd love to see a course here that fits in line with The Golf Club or even Pete Dye GC, two courses that use natural land features very well. The parts of Blackwolf Run (both courses) on really good land (the river section of the River course and the back nine on Meadow Valleys) also do this very well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back