News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dave McCollum

Re: OT - Golf in Ireland - Do's and Don'ts?
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2014, 12:10:34 PM »
Good advice above.  Not much to add, but a couple of little irrelevant things:

Don’t buy cheap raingear, take the good stuff.  Shorts are useful—under your rain pants which you will be wearing every day. 

On the links:  read every shot like a putt.  It’s more important what happens when the ball hits the turf than when it’s in the air.

Lighten your bag and leave the lob wedge home. 

At that time I was a smoker.  Seems that every time I was outside smoking alone somebody would come up and strike up a conversation.  The Irish can’t stand to see someone with nobody to talk to.  Very friendly folks.  I traveled alone for a week, but was never lonely.

Repeat:  Take plenty of balls.  I remember my arrogance of playing Portrush with only 4 balls in my bag.  Played well, for me, and found myself on the 16th tee down to my last pellet, the first 3 lost within a few feet of the fairway from overestimating the effect of the wind. 

Embrace the wind and rain and have fun.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2014, 12:24:19 PM »
Pack a couple of ziplocks in your golf bag...if the weather gets really bad you need something to hold your camera, wallet, etc.

Leave more time for driving than you think.

Take the full insurance coverage on the rental car.

See the Cliffs of Moher when you're at Lahinch and the Giants Causeway when at Portrush.

Use your putter when you can.

As a sleeper, don't miss The Island in Dublin.

Watch your feet early in the week...tape any "hotspots" or red-spots.  Once you have a blister, it is too late.

Get a GPS that has the Ireland maps...Critical to driving safely in Ireland.

I could likely go on for pages...have fun.

Bart

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2014, 12:43:12 PM »
Jeepers, does it really rain as much as you lot think?  I don't know how many trips (more than one  8)) I have taken to Ireland, but I can comfortably count on one hand how many days were played in rain.  Of course, that also means you have to be a bit savvy.  Sometimes its prudent to shift tee times or even drive a few counties away to get a dry game.  If its really windy, there will be good windows for golf.  If there is no wind - aaaaccchhhh. 

Its definitely worth while taking one pair of dark shorts as they are best for rainsuits and one never knows, the sun could come out  :D

As Sheehy says, slow down, take it easy - its a holiday not a GWFM (General Warne Forced March)  :o  Stick to a relatively small area or two so as to offer some down time. 

Try an Irish pitch n' putt  http://www.golf.discoverireland.ie/Golf-Courses/Pitch-and-putt-par-3  but be sure to use the heavy ball or the Micks will take you to the bank.  I couldn't figure out how these lot were stopping balls on the tiny greens until I inspected one of the balls.  Its quite a clever idea to maintenance costs down.

Bring cheap balls.

Don't be afraid to deviate from the itinerary.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tim Johnson

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2014, 12:55:39 PM »
Fully agree with Sean, while it does rain, I have played 50 rounds in Ireland/Scotland and massive wind/rain happened about 4 times. Always keep the rain gear handy, a storm can hit you at a moments notice and then be gone minutes later, you be thankful for the dry pants etc.

Actually playing a round in sideways rain on each trip was perfect. had some buddies come back last summer bitchin' that they didn't get any Irish weather.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2014, 05:01:03 PM »
Plenty of salient and useful suggestions thus far. My own list of random bon mots in Leprechaunland:

Remember, golf is not everything. You've got to dive into the culture - there is no place quite like it in the world.

Read "Emerald Fairways and Foam-Flecked Seas" by James Finegan. Bring it with you on the plane because it is the best guidebook you've ever held in your hand.

Careful not to wear yourself out the first three days. The heaving dunes and fresh air encourage running full rip for 36, but that fourth day, it can be hard to get out of bed.

Cork is Liverpool without the Beatles, but don't miss Blarney Castle. I kissed the stone twice - but those reading my rants already guessed that.

The Ring of Kerry is like riding the last mule on the trail. All you see is ass and all you smell is shit. The busses are obnoxious - don't waste your time.

The Dingle Peninsula is the most beautiful place on Earth aside from Yosemite - and even then I am not quite sure.

Stop at the Inch Peninsula. It is the best piece of raw golfing land I have ever seen. Someday . . . . I prayeth.

Lahinch will be your favorite golf course, not Ballybunnion. Feel free to shriek, but it's the Prestwick of Ireland and I have no higher praise than that.

Stay at least three days in town. Play the Castle Course in the afternoon and take a short drive to the Cliffs of Moher.

Legend has it that ghosts beckon visitors to jump who venture too close to the edge. Don't do that - but bring your wedges. There is a lovely pitch & putt along the road back.

Dublin, Tralee and Kinsale have really good restaurants; the rest have greasy glop served by chain-smoking hags.

Killarney is a ridiculous tourist trap. Fisherman's Wharf (San Fran) with overpriced, itchy sweaters. Don't bother.

Old Head is so beautiful it looks fake. Good golf course, not great - but worth the time.

Make sure to stop by the Lusitania Memorial, it is a good reminder that WWII was really just an extension of WWI.

As hard as it is to find good restaurant food in Ireland, it is equally difficult to find bad food in a Pub.

No matter how quick and clever you think you are, that Irish guy or lass on the next bar stool can run circles around you. Craic is their national sport after soccer.

Remember, that beautiful and incredibly friendly redhead you're chatting up in the Pub knows you are an American. Don't even think about it . . . . . . she ain't buying what you're peddling.

When calculating driving distances, figure not more than 50 Kilometers per hour. Note, I wrote KILOMETERS - like 30 MPH. Driving on the left side of the road while trying to negotiate traffic circles - hemmed in by stone walls - is no time to play Speed Racer.   

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2014, 05:07:09 PM »
Gib:

It has been a while since someone has mentioned Inch. Arthur Spring first took me there. At that point he was about 17 years into his unsuccessful planning permission effort.

Absolutely amazing place you need a few days to really appreciate.
Tim Weiman

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2014, 05:23:41 PM »
I have stayed away from this site for quite some time now but happened to take a peek today to see if the tone and tenor had improved.

Cork is Liverpool without the Beatles,

I spent the first 22 years of my life in Cork, I disagree.

The Ring of Kerry is like riding the last mule on the trail. All you see is ass and all you smell is shit. The busses are obnoxious - don't waste your time.

The Ring of Kerry has some of the most beautiful scenery you will see anywhere.

he rest have greasy glop served by chain-smoking hags.

Craic is their national sport after soccer.

Gaelic Football and Hurling are the national games of Ireland.

I would forget about applying for a job with Tourism Ireland.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2014, 05:41:11 PM »
Hats are for the outside....just had dinner in a nice St Andrews restaurant and there were golfers wearing caps at dinner, unbelievable.

Two pairs of golf shoes?? Never heard that one before.
Cave Nil Vino

Jason Topp

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »
I have stayed away from this site for quite some time now but happened to take a peek today to see if the tone and tenor had improved.

Aiden - this much insult from Gib means he really likes the place. 

Jason Topp

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2014, 06:06:18 PM »

Really?  Next time you are sloshing around in soggy shoes after being soaked the day before think about how nice it would be to have dry shoes on with the other pair drying out for the next day.

Jud_T

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2014, 06:26:05 PM »
Mark,

How many days in a row have you walked 36 in the same shoes?  Just altering the wear points is a blessing.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2014, 06:41:14 PM »
Currently in St Andrews with waterproof jacket, no waterproof trousers, no umbrella and one pair of non waterproof shoes I've been wearing all winter.  Happy as Larry.

Jud how many rounds of UK links golf do you play each year? I'm guessing a good deal less than I do.
Cave Nil Vino

Bill_McBride

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2014, 07:08:17 PM »

Really?  Next time you are sloshing around in soggy shoes after being soaked the day before think about how nice it would be to have dry shoes on with the other pair drying out for the next day.

I love drying rooms.  Have never seen one in America.  

And after it rains, don't leave wet stuff in the boot of the car overnight, everything will dry nicely in your typically overheated room. 

Dave McCollum

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2014, 07:23:35 PM »
The weather problem arises from planning trips from afar so far in advance or going in the off season to take advantage of reduced rates.  You guys from the UK can hop over whenever it looks decent.  The day we were scheduled to play Lahinch, it was raining sideways at 50 mph and tasted salty.  We played and the caddies thought we were idiots.  Not an Irish golfer in sight.  Eventually, we headed to the house.  It reminded me of white water rafting in the Idaho wilderness in the spring.  The guy shivering, soaked, and miserable is greeted with the cheery question:  “So you didn’t spend enough money on your gear?  Drink this.”  The California guys with the cheap rain gear folded first.   

My only golf trip to Scotland it was the opposite.  Second half of May.  I estimated I played golf for 45 hours on 16 courses.  A big squall blew through on Brora and I spent an hour in the rain gear (waterproofs) and the was the only guy on the course.  The other 44 hours, a 10 minute shower.  Rained cats and dogs when I wasn’t playing, so be prepared.   It happens both ways over there.  And for you UK guys, how much golf did you play this winter and spring?

Carl Johnson

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2014, 07:30:10 PM »

Really?  Next time you are sloshing around in soggy shoes after being soaked the day before think about how nice it would be to have dry shoes on with the other pair drying out for the next day.

. . .  

Bill, my only experience with a drying room in the UK/Ireland was at Muirfield.  Put 'em in cold and wet before lunch; got 'em out warm and wet after lunch!  My sense is that the drying room at Muirfield might work if you left your stuff in for overnight, or longer.  ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2014, 07:42:32 PM »

. . .  

Bill, my only experience with a drying room in the UK/Ireland was at Muirfield.  Put 'em in cold and wet before lunch; got 'em out warm and wet after lunch!  My sense is that the drying room at Muirfield might work if you left your stuff in for overnight, or longer.  ;)

I think probably so.  But warm is better than cold, and after lunch at Muirfield, with the obligatory two kümmel "dessert" you're too drunk to care anyway, right?   ;D

Bill Gayne

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2014, 08:47:43 PM »
Two pairs of shoes

Take the full insurance

Fly in and out of Shannon. It's an easy airport to get in and out plus you clear US Customs in Ireland on the return trip.

Don't buy crystal but tour the Waterford plant if you can.

Go to Croke Park and watch a hurling match.

Brian Colbert

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2014, 09:11:05 PM »
Thank you all for the responses - I've thoroughly enjoyed reading them all. For those of you who are wondering, here is where I am playing:

The Island
Royal County Down
Ardglass
Royal Portrush (Dunluce)
Ballyliffin
Enniscrone
Lahinch
Ballybunion (Old)

Your advice has been noted and I will try and incorporate as much as possible into my trip. And of course, in the interest of contributing, I will take as many photos as possible. This thread has only made me more excited to go.

Shane Wright

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2014, 09:32:31 PM »
Brian, it is probably no surprise, but your itinerary includes a tremendous amount of driving.  Based on the route it looks like you are taking, you must not miss a stop in Galway for some local craic.

Gib, you clearly had too much golf and whiskey by the time you hit the Ring of Kerry.

Shane

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2014, 09:48:22 PM »
Get Fish and Chips at a dirty little hole in the wall place, you will never want them in the USA again.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2014, 10:17:38 PM »
Thank you all for the responses - I've thoroughly enjoyed reading them all. For those of you who are wondering, here is where I am playing:

The Island
Royal County Down
Ardglass
Royal Portrush (Dunluce)
Ballyliffin
Enniscrone
Lahinch
Ballybunion (Old)

Your advice has been noted and I will try and incorporate as much as possible into my trip. And of course, in the interest of contributing, I will take as many photos as possible. This thread has only made me more excited to go.

Ballyliffin Old is fabulous.  Grade level greens and awesome fairway rumples.

Bart

Tim Johnson

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2014, 11:56:25 PM »
Brian, great courses selected. The driving is actually not that bad with the run you have selected. I did a 2 week 13 course trip in 04 and aside from the drive from Belfast to Ballybunion (6+hrs) on the first day, the rest was a breeze(all under 2 hrs) and the countryside is second to none. The people you meet in some of these small town pubs are the best, you would have to be a real a**hole to end up drinking alone.
Too bad Carne did not make it on your trip but I appreciate there is always one course somebody wants you to play.
Enjoy the trip and trust me on the sunblock.

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2014, 03:24:48 AM »
   One of the more enjoyable threads I've read. My people are from Klonakilty in Cork. Bunch of cousins.

Great posts by all, good info.

I really can't add anything except for one bit of advice.

Stay away from commenting on the past " Troubles " and religion. If one of the locals get into it, keep your mouth zipped.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Jeff Johnston

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2014, 04:57:58 AM »
Brian, a fine list of courses indeed. Without wishing to drag the thread into a 'try here / try there' morass, if you are at Portrush for the Dunluce, do try to squeeze in the Valley too, even on a twilight basis - as a two ball, with a clear run you'll be round inside 3 hours. If the rumours are correct re changes required to get the Open there, you may not get another chance to play it (specifically holes 5&6) in current form. It is excellent links golf and a lot of fun.

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2014, 06:08:54 AM »
Take the red eye flight from the US to Shannon. Arrive and go straight to the course. When you get tired after the first 18 have a sleep in the sand dunes and then play another 18.

Go out and meet the locals in Ballybunion. Legends.

Go out in Killarney on a Sunday night. Don't book plans too early the next morning.

Drive around Dingle peninsula. See the awesome dunes that will one day become a great course. Continue on out to play Dingle. It's not famous but well worthwhile.

Embrace the rain. 
@Pure_Golf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back