News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kettler

Bev, Skokie, Oly Fields or Medinah
« on: May 06, 2014, 09:09:21 PM »
Playing in an outing in Chicago in July and thinking about adding a round or two.  To make it simpler, assume equal access and cost, how would you guys rank these 4 Windy City gems and why?  Write in candidates will be considered.[/size]

Jud_T

Re: Bev, Skokie, Oly Fields or Medinah
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 09:15:27 PM »
Opinions will vary.  Personally:

Skokie
O Fields
Bev
Medinah

I'd play Shoreacres or Chicago Golf before any of 'em.  Also Old Elm and Black Sheep deserve serious consideration if you can get on.  Bob'o'Link is worth a look as well.  You could even do a day trip to Lost Dunes or the Dunes Club.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 09:19:22 PM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 10:41:17 PM »
Playing in an outing in Chicago in July and thinking about adding a round or two.  To make it simpler, assume equal access and cost, how would you guys rank these 4 Windy City gems and why?  Write in candidates will be considered.[/size]

e) all of the above

No wrong answer, you will enjoy yourself at any one of said clubs. If anything, logistics (where you are staying, eating, drinking, etc) would dicta to which would work best for you.
H.P.S.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 06:38:31 AM »
Chicago Golf for education. Medinah for tradition and difficulty. Olympia for landforms and routing. Beverly for fun.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 09:28:29 AM »
Real answer is in whatever order it's easiest to access whore your way onto.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:32:10 AM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mac Plumart

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 09:40:46 PM »
Kind of off the original topic...

but how have the Chicago area golf courses survived the winter.  I've heard courses with poa greens have been hurt badly.  Is this true?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 09:52:31 PM »

but how have the Chicago area golf courses survived the winter.  I've heard courses with poa greens have been hurt badly.  Is this true?
Mac,  I can say that Beverly 's greens look as good as I've ever seen them for this early in the year. Olympia Fields did not fare so well. I will be playing at Knollwood in a couple days and am curious to see how they look. US Open qualifier is there on Monday. My impression is that we are 2-3 weeks behind in trees popping and flowers , bushes etc. it was the toughest winter since 1979. Hope all is well in Atlanta.

John McCarthy

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 09:53:37 PM »
Mac:  what you heard is true.  Some got a bloody nose, some are fine, some can't open.  Poa is dead on the greens and until today the soil was too cool to germinate bent.  

(BTW, I'm not a turf guy, I am passing along what I have heard and a few courses I have seen.)
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 10:01:46 PM »

Mac,  I can say that Beverly 's greens look as good as I've ever seen them for this early in the year. Olympia Fields did not fare so well. I will be playing at Knollwood in a couple days and am curious to see how they look. US Open qualifier is there on Monday. My impression is that we are 2-3 weeks behind in trees popping and flowers , bushes etc. it was the toughest winter since 1979. Hope all is well in Atlanta.

Jack:

Not sure where you're getting your information on OFCC.  They have 34 of 36 greens open (all 18 on North), with only two of the greens most shielded from southern exposure being delayed.  I've played all three courses (South, North and the Bev), and other than those two greens the courses are in very similar shape.  I've also played Flossmoor, which had two greens closed at the time (9 and 10).

Keeping in mind what a lot of the North Shore courses are going through (including Skokie), I'd say the south side courses came through in pretty good shape all things considered.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

J_ Crisham

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 10:06:31 PM »
Sven, I got my information first hand - I've played all 3 as well - when I played OFCC they weren't anywhere near the shape of Bev . Hosted a FCC member on Sunday who confirmed your version of the 2 greens.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back