News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Re: Belek, Turkey
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2014, 03:24:49 PM »
The tee view on the closing hole. I have to admit to a little bemusement on this one. Probably needs a few more plays! There's clearly a strategic route to the hole, but I couldn't find it! Says way more about my skills than the design...

From the approach position. Wickedly bunkered green:

The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2014, 07:15:41 PM »
Of course my first thought is to wonder how many here in the Treehouse would travel to play golf in Germany if their government not only steadfastly refused to acknowledge the Holocaust, but continued to oppress Jews - and tacitly encourage extremist terrorists to deface synagogues.

Maybe this sort of comment has no place here and maybe it does, but I grew up knowing all four grandparents came to America as refugees after the rest of their families were slaughtered by the Turkish military. When those bastards own up to what they did (since the American government is too cowardly to call them out), I'll play their golf courses.

Otherwise, those savages can stick it where the moon don't shine.  

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 01:59:52 AM by Gib Papazian »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2014, 07:23:10 PM »
Of course my first thought is to wonder how many here in the Treehouse would travel to play golf in Germany if their government not only steadfastly refused to acknowledge the Holocaust, but continued to oppress Jews - and tacitly encourage extremists terrorists to deface synagogues.

Maybe this sort of comment has no place here and maybe it does, but I grew up knowing all four grandparents came to America as refugees after the rest of their families were slaughtered by the Turkish military. When those bastards own up to what they did (since the American government is too cowardly to call them out), I'll play their golf courses.

Otherwise, those savages can stick it where the moon don't shine.  

I dated a San Francisco girl named Tatarian whose home was across the street from the Turkish consulate.  Relations were at best frosty. 

Frank Pont

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2014, 12:31:11 AM »
You know you are in a strange country if Twitter and YouTube are blocked during two thirds of the time you try to access them, like was the case during my holidays here.......

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2014, 04:06:37 AM »
I spent quite a few weeks working my way from Istanbul to Cappadocia then south around the coast before catching a boat to Rhodes.  I never felt comfortable in Turkey, though Cappadocia blew me away.  Plus, I used to like eggplant prior to that trip.  Now I can barely look at the stuff - morning, noon and night we were served aubergine...and this was more than 15 years ago.  Never had a desire to go back though several people have tried to drag me there for golf..not happening.

FBD - thanks for the pix  :)

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ben Lovett

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2014, 04:12:27 AM »
Martin,
Great name for the statue!!!
Ulrich,
Yep due to nature of the land being flat and close to sea level, most of the greens are built up. Martin did not put in any photos of my favourit hole the 10th, which is a good example of a hole where a ground game comes into effect.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2014, 03:16:57 PM »
And so we come to the final course of the trip. Carya is Tim Lobb's homage a la heathland although I'm not sure they've quite grasped the concept...

Not exactly in the spirit!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2014, 03:18:56 PM »
More of the ubiquitous pines on the opening hole.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2014, 03:22:02 PM »
Overall, I felt the conditioning at Carya was the worst we witnessed. This could well be due to the amount of play it receives.

Quite good bunker shaping and positioning though.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 03:50:54 PM by Martin Bonnar »

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2014, 03:23:28 PM »
Loved this split fairway. One of a few on this course.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2014, 03:25:59 PM »
I quite liked the look of this little hole on first viewing. I'm not so sure now!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2014, 03:28:22 PM »
Some of the views are quite, ehm, Dali-esque!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2014, 03:30:55 PM »
Another of the split fairways with a good view of the Heather carries required.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2014, 03:36:47 PM »
Those familiar with the heathlands will easily recognise the inspiration here...!???
Again, I came to like the slightly surreal nature of the interpretation!

Note the floodlights, more of which later...

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2014, 03:41:58 PM »
Sometimes the design is irrelevant. Like when your good mate, who's been quite ill recently, scores his first HIO.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2014, 03:45:30 PM »
Congrats, Gordy!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2014, 03:49:23 PM »
...and finishing under the all too revealing glare of the floodlights.

Nine holes here are lit, with plans afoot to do the rest. Quite a big group were checking in to play as we were finishing.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2014, 01:52:15 AM »
Those familiar with the heathlands will easily recognise the inspiration here...!???
Again, I came to like the slightly surreal nature of the interpretation!

Note the floodlights, more of which later...

That has to  be the thickest heather I've ever seen.  No wonder a drop is available.

To me the random nature of the lie you get in heather adds to it's allure. Sometimes you can get a good look at the ball but often you are tempted to try more than is prudent.  Judging by the above  pic. you'd just be lucky to find it?
Can't see that other courses in the area will be rushing to add it?

I've enjoyed the thred without thinking I must go...
I've been to Turkey twice and had the opposite reaction to Sean, I found it a most wellcoming and interesting place. The history and architecture from Istanbul to Ephesus is wonderful.
But as for Golf in Southern Spain, Portugal and Turkey I think of them as places for the shoulder seasons, i.e not worth it in November to January and too hot July to September.  In the other months I'm happy to take my chances with golf at home.  However my other half and I don't go on golfing holidays and so part of the appeal is lost on me.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2014, 02:03:34 AM »
Loved this split fairway. One of a few on this course.

FBD

That is one of the best split fairways I have ever seen.  Very simple concept, do you want to fade or draw?  There looks to be recovery possibilities for the stubborn chap as well.  How far up are the bunkers beyond the centreline trees?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Michael Graham

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2014, 09:33:36 AM »
Many thanks for sharing your photos Martin. I'm going to Turkey in early September to play six rounds. Amongst the course on our itinerary are The National, Montgomerie and Carya. Your photo tour is certainly helping to whet my appetite.

Michael

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2014, 01:30:57 PM »
Sean,
I didn't spring for the strokesaver, but I'd guess maybe thirty or forty metres from memory. Really fun hole. The bunkers actually form quite a sizeable cross fairway hazard.
Michael,
You'll have a blast. The accoms are second to none. Where else you playing? Ben was recommending Lykia to us, but we were running out of time/energy!
Cheers,
F.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2014, 05:18:32 PM »
Sean,
I didn't spring for the strokesaver, but I'd guess maybe thirty or forty metres from memory. Really fun hole. The bunkers actually form quite a sizeable cross fairway hazard.
Michael,
You'll have a blast. The accoms are second to none. Where else you playing? Ben was recommending Lykia to us, but we were running out of time/energy!
Cheers,
F.

Lykia should be seen. It's very different from everything else round there - it isn't in the pine plantation. It is a truly fantastic piece of property.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Michael Graham

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2014, 04:31:29 AM »
Sean,
Michael,
Cheers,
F.

Thanks Martin. If memory serves me correctly our schedule currently stands as: National, Montgomerie, Carya, Sultan, Sueno (Pines) & Lykia. Lykia seems to be the one that people particularly recommend. If you have any do's/don'ts or other recommendations they would be much appreciated.

Michael

Ben Lovett

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2014, 05:49:37 AM »
Lykia is currently struggling, as Club Med who ran last year have walked away. The current manager is trying his best to keep it operational. It could be good thing as a lack of fertilizer and water might make it play a bit more links like
Michael which hotel are you staying in

Michael Graham

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2014, 07:54:20 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up Ben. We are staying in the Cornelia Diamond. We had been planning on play the Faldo but I received an email from our tour operator to say that they well have started overseeding when we are there in September which is why we are now playing the Pines.

Michael

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back