News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nigel Islam

Re: OT (?): The Etiquette of Access
« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2014, 09:28:39 PM »
Brian, I am sure I have too, and I hope that we can all move on from this. In the immortal words of Crash Davis, "Lets have some fun! This game is fun ok?....."

Ricardo Ramirez Calvo

« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2014, 09:43:26 PM »
Just for the record, if someone plans to come to Argentina, do ask me for access. I will do my best to try to get you into several courses and join you if I can accomodate my schedule.  ;)

Cheers.

Ricardo

Terry Lavin

« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2014, 09:48:43 PM »
Just for the record, if someone plans to come to Argentina, do ask me for access. I will do my best to try to get you into several courses and join you if I can accomodate my schedule.  ;)

Cheers.

Looking at your logo, can you hook us up at a nice racetrack?
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #103 on: May 02, 2014, 10:09:20 PM »
T-Lav,

Polo -- P-O-L-O -- is the game down there. But if you must waste your time at, ahem, a track, then how bout a Hipodromo Argentina - Campo de Golf Juan B. Segura combo? Click here and enter "Campo de Golf" in the search box: http://mapa.buenosaires.gov.ar/

Then click on the "Vista Aerea 1940" button. Hipodromo is just across the tracks, to the SE.

Via con dios,
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #104 on: May 02, 2014, 10:11:02 PM »
T-Lav,

Polo -- P-O-L-O -- is the game down there. But if you must waste your time at, ahem, a track, then how bout a Hipodromo Argentina - Campo de Golf Juan B. Segura combo? Click here and enter "Campo de Golf" in the search box: http://mapa.buenosaires.gov.ar/

Then click on the "Vista Aerea 1940" button. Hipodromo is just across the tracks, to the SE.

Via con dios,

Ok. Never mind. I'm Derby delusional.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2014, 10:19:49 PM »
Hey Terry, I'm going to be in Arlington in a few weeks and was wondering if you had any suggestions for where I might catch some thoroughbred racing.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2014, 10:24:04 PM »
Everything Mr. Lavin said is correct. I deny nothing.
The only one I can defend was the sahalee offer - i thought that Rich had offered to get people on Sahalee if they came to the kings putter and I had intended to before the I read about the 5th major.
I have not chosen my ways to show my excitement very well.
I apologize for my lack of knowledge on how to get people to join me at SH.
I didnt mean to lesson the prestige of the club or its exclusivity.
I had an offer and thought i could pay it forward to GCA- as several people have made offers to me .
I have only taken one person up on his offer-although many people have offered. i dont have the time or the money to accept them, as gracious as they have been.
I learned a great lesson from Mr. Nilson - read more - type less-
I will only contribute with actual meaningful stuff in the future and will contain my excitement - I wont say I would love to play there-
John K- thanks for suggesting Bayside- looks like that is where I will be playing prior to the 5th Major

Terry Lavin

« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2014, 10:27:50 PM »
Well said. Forgotten on my end. Let's add Beverly onto your Olympia visit. PM me as the date approaches.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2014, 10:36:35 PM »
Aren't you supposed to say, "Let's Bev it up"?

Rob, a nice post. Hang in there and you'll get such an education in architecture -- not even from playing anything of note -- very likely you will make substantial changes to your goals. One day you might even write that Medinah 3 underwhelmed you. And then someone will call you a "douche."

Kevin_D

« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2014, 11:38:38 PM »
This thread now almost brings a tear to my eye. Glad everyone could hug it out.

BHoover

« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2014, 12:05:52 AM »
This thread now almost brings a tear to my eye. Glad everyone could hug it out.

Brothers don't shake hands, brothers gotta hug!
Glad the game and architecture can cross the divide.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2014, 12:34:11 AM »
Wow didn't see that coming. Kudos to Terry and Rob.

Ricardo Ramirez Calvo

« Reply #112 on: May 03, 2014, 07:21:50 AM »

Cheers.

Looking at your logo, can you hook us up at a nice racetrack?

Terry, that would be the easiest. I can't do it at the Hurlingham Club, because the racetrack has been gone for more than 100 years. We've kept the polo. But I can take you to the Jockey Club racetrack anytime you want and for free. Air ticket and  lodging are on you.

All the best.
Ricardo

Ricardo Ramirez Calvo

« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2014, 07:32:18 AM »
T-Lav,

Via con dios,

Ok. Never mind. I'm Derby delusional.

Come in December for the Gran Premio Carlos Pellegrini (http://www.tbheritage.com/TurfHallmarks/racecharts/Arg/ArgGPPellegrini.html) and I'll take you also to the Argentine Open.

Ricardo

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #114 on: May 03, 2014, 07:18:31 PM »
Maybe what we need is a way for people like me that LOVE having GCA people out at my club to let the treehouse know that visitors are welcomed.

(Granted, our place isn't going to be in anybody's top 100 list, but it's a fun, challenging Hanse and people have a ball when they play.)

Sean_A

« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2014, 02:50:49 AM »
Maybe what we need is a way for people like me that LOVE having GCA people out at my club to let the treehouse know that visitors are welcomed.

(Granted, our place isn't going to be in anybody's top 100 list, but it's a fun, challenging Hanse and people have a ball when they play.)

Dan

I am still irked we were rained out all those years ago.  I think your place looks terrific.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2014, 08:29:28 AM »
Sean - we even allow Red Wings fans out there :)

Tom Birkert

« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2014, 09:48:36 AM »
It definitely differs from UK to US. Here, access is very simple, as long as you are prepared to pay.

When travelling to the US, it happens that most of the courses one would want to see and play are private, so you need connections. A large number of people are fortunate to have fellow members at their clubs with connections at various places, or who know people that do. Your pro will often help out.

I have hosted many people, and indeed friends of people. I've never had a bad experience. I would hope that I have been a decent guest when visiting the other side of the Pond!

What I would also say is that in my experience members of world class clubs in the US tend to be some of the most helpful, gracious and accommodating people, and go out of their way to help when they know you.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #118 on: May 04, 2014, 01:00:56 PM »
Tom I couldn't agree more, also Americans tend in my experience to be very open to assisting overseas visitors play their clubs.
Cave Nil Vino

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #119 on: May 04, 2014, 10:37:17 PM »
I really don't mind helping someone play a course where I am a member.   What I find a tad irritating is asking me if I can get someone on at another area club. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

mike_beene

« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2014, 11:53:34 PM »
Tommy, I second that. I got a request (not from a GCA member) to get the person on a difficult to access west coast club where I am not a member. I even had them a game set up. The person at the last minute cancelled because there was a daily fee with a cheaper green fee. Never again!

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2014, 09:05:17 AM »
Why do all of you Yanks get so precious about access?

Any of you post about perhaps coming to Australia, you will get inundated by offers, some of them even from members of courses you might want to play at.  You will be hosted, wined and dined, even if you are not a member anywhere we might want to play should we venture across the Ocean.

Even though access for overseas guests is very easy here.  

Is it just because you're all a bunch of lawyers who don't want to schlep it with tradesmen and podiatrists?

I think it's simply because there are a few guys who like to think they're better than everyone else...or perhaps their underwear are riding a bit too tight. I'm a lawyer and I'd prefer to play with tradesmen, podiatrists and proctologists more so than other lawyers.

Amen and Amen.
It is a friggin' game if you are fortunate enough to be a meber at somewhere nice.......why not share?
I just dont get all the huiffle.
I am a member at a Longford Moreau golf course and ANYBODY on this site can IM me and you are welcome to share my good fortune.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2014, 09:29:21 AM »
You are the guys who are confused.  I am happy to set people up to play at my club but I am a member of a Fazio in a shit for luck town.  I get maybe 4 request a year.  I am actually complimented by peoples desire to ether see me, my course or both.  The problem is best illustrated by the example of an ex-member of this board who became a member of Merion.  Somehow word got out and it spread like herpes at a Bunny Bread factory.  I saw the emails from whore to whore calculating how to take advantage of his good fortune.  He was inundated with obnoxious requests.  He is gone, the proverbial goose is cooked, congrats.

I also can not speak to the difference for members of clubs in high traffic areas.  I know this is odd but some people actually have games on a regular basis with real world friends.  It ain't that easy to give up 20 weeks a year for Willy Loman spending his travel vouchers while he ignores the clients he should be schmoozing.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2014, 09:47:36 AM »
I really don't mind helping someone play a course where I am a member.   What I find a tad irritating is asking me if I can get someone on at another area club. 

I did that once a few years ago, to a very self-important (but now ex-) member of this forum whom I did not know but knew of, and he didn't show up, leaving my member friend alone and bemused on the first tee of his Club.  I e-mailed the miscreant shortly thereafter, asking "why?" and I am still awaiting his reply....

Never again

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Alex Miller

« Reply #124 on: May 06, 2014, 04:47:13 PM »
Please correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure you will) but a believe that someone started a post a couple of years ago about an open slot to play at a very exclusive club on the Monterey Peninsula and he was viewed as a gracious hero, not a villain.  I tired searching for the thread but came up empty handed.  Does anyone recall this?

I have not visited the site in a couple of weeks and consequently have no knowledge of this recently deleted thread that you are referring to.
However it was my offer in 2012  that was referred to by Steve O as quoted above, with no intention of being hero or villain, just a unique circumstance that allowed me to bring a guest.

The professional invited me out, and surprised me by generously asking me to bring along a companion. I made a couple of inquiries to friends or acquaintances the Bay Area, but none could adjust their schedules. Honestly, I did not think twice about putting it out this public forum---we all love golf, great architecture, and everyone I've met here has been pleasant at minimum, most downright enjoyable.

I am always happy to host in and around Savannah, this was much the same thing, albeit on the opposite coast on a one off basis.

I too have been catching up and not on here a ton lately. I think gracious hero is a great description and I can honestly never truly re-pay Joel for that day. I logged onto the forum at just the right time and am so glad that I'd been able to play with Joel prior so it was not a round between strangers. FWIW, the wording of Joel's post was quite tactful (and I think since then we've both tip-toed around discussing that day in respect to each other and the club), but the similarities to this recent thread are undeniable. I hope I can offer some opportunities to similarly crazed golf fanatics one day so they may share in rare and wonderful golf experiences. If they get only a fraction of the joy I've gotten from golfing with you all it'll be worth it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back