News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

"So are National Parks"
« on: April 01, 2014, 01:26:14 PM »
Given Ran's homepage photo of Halfdome in Yosemite, I thought a shout out to the 9-hole Wawona course within Yosemite park was in order:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g61000-d592694-Reviews-Wawona_Golf_Course-Yosemite_National_Park_California.html

Does anyone have a photo tour?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 04:57:37 PM by David_Tepper »

Jim Sherma

Re: "So are National Parks"
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 02:05:03 PM »
I 've played the 18 hole course in Estes park, CO a few times back in 1989. It was short then with persimmon. Nice enough course with an awesome backdrop looking up into Rocky Mountain National park. A really awesome place to spend some time on the course.

Here is a link to the photo tour on theoir site: http://www.evrpd.com/golf/photo-gallery

Michael Moore

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 02:13:18 PM »
The fifth and seventeenth holes of the Kebo Valley Golf Club abut Acadia National Park. A gorgeous creek marks the border, and if memory serves, I indeed pumped one into the park on a recent visit.

Are there any other courses abutting or perhaps even inside a national park?
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Bill Seitz

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 02:20:29 PM »
The fifth and seventeenth holes of the Kebo Valley Golf Club abut Acadia National Park. A gorgeous creek marks the border, and if memory serves, I indeed pumped one into the park on a recent visit.

Are there any other courses abutting or perhaps even inside a national park?

Bully Pulpit in Medora, ND is just outside Teddy Roosevelt NP, though I don't believe they share a border (they do share a river).  It plays through some of the same badlands terrain that makes up the park for a few holes that are really stunning.  Fairly decent track, and one of the three best public courses in ND. 
http://medora.com/do/outdoor/bully-pulpit-golf-course/

Tom Dunne

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 02:35:55 PM »
I played Wawona when I was 16, on a family trip to Yosemite. I don't remember any of the holes, but I do remember being startled by the sight of an enormous stag elk glaring at me as I headed down one of the fairways. Really fresh air there. We stayed in the old lodge, too. I enjoyed that trip a lot.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 03:07:42 PM »
Banff National Park & Jasper National Parks feature two pretty good golf courses.

TK

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 03:20:46 PM »
Bully Pulpit in Medora, ND is just outside Teddy Roosevelt NP, though I don't believe they share a border (they do share a river).  It plays through some of the same badlands terrain that makes up the park for a few holes that are really stunning.  Fairly decent track, and one of the three best public courses in ND. 
http://medora.com/do/outdoor/bully-pulpit-golf-course/
[/quote]

My brother used to travel through the Dakotas for work and has played Bully Pulpit -- he gave me essentially the same capsule review. Sounds like a really solid course to stop and play if you're nearby.  It's good to get a confirmation on that.

Frank Giordano

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 04:05:59 PM »
In this era of unacceptably high unemployment throughout the land, as well as in the golf industry, have any of the major golf organizations in America considered lobbying our state and national governments to create a WPA-like program to design, construct, and run new golf courses in our state and national parks and forests?  Benefits to the nation and localities: Job creation, modest public venues (no 8,000 yard courses), reasonable prices for people to enjoy the people's game.

Andy Stamm

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 04:14:43 PM »
For what's worth, I wasn't a big fan of Bully Pulpit. First, it's incredibly disjointed with the badlands holes being totally different than the rest. And while the rest is a breeze to walk, the badlands holes aren't. To the courses credit, they don't discourage walking, and there are carts  left at the start of the badlands holes that walkers can use for those holes and then leave back where they picked them up when they get out of that section. But for those who like to walk, it's still not an optimal set up by any means.

I don't recall much about the non-badlands holes, other than thinking them ho-hum, but they might be more than that, but I doubt much more. I do remember the badlands holes well. There's a drop shot par 3 that's cool enough, but it's basically hit the green or retee as aside from the green it's all badlands. And from a very elevated, very wind exposed tee it's not that easy of a shot to judge or green to hit. The next hole played downwind, downhill, and very fast and firm for a sort of longest drive of your life experience, that was cool enough. The badland formations did provide some pretty cool elevated tees though.

The next day I played Old Works, and I preferred that pretty heavily.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 04:39:56 PM »
Wawona is a really fun nine hole course.  Fond memories of family trips to Yosemite with a couple of Wawona loops thrown in.  There was also a spectacular tiny par 3 course out behind the Awahnee Hotel.   It's NLE based on my last visit ten years ago.  Happily the bar at the Awahnee is still open.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 05:02:18 PM »

I don't recall much about the non-badlands holes, other than thinking them ho-hum, but they might be more than that, but I doubt much more. I do remember the badlands holes well. There's a drop shot par 3 that's cool enough, but it's basically hit the green or retee as aside from the green it's all badlands. And from a very elevated, very wind exposed tee it's not that easy of a shot to judge or green to hit. The next hole played downwind, downhill, and very fast and firm for a sort of longest drive of your life experience, that was cool enough. The badland formations did provide some pretty cool elevated tees though.

The next day I played Old Works, and I preferred that pretty heavily.

My round was prior to my GCA enlightenment, but I seem to recall the non-badlands holes (i.e., the river holes) being pretty decent.  Wide fairways, I seem to recall it playing pretty firm, though I couldn't tell you too much about the green contours.  I felt like the badlands holes, though very beautiful, didn't really fit in with the rest of the course.  The problem was you really couldn't build a course there and NOT use the badlands, but there wasn't enough real estate to make a primarily badlands course.  They're late in the round, so you actually a pretty decent round of golf going while the anticipation builds, and even the finish wasn't too bad.  Again, it's been about eight years since I've played it (sheesh, time really flies), but I'd play it again, especially since I have relatives nearby and you can get that Triple Play with Hawktree and Links of ND for really cheap.  From the most recent satellite view, it's hard to tell if they had lot of flood damage or if the picture was just taken at a weird time. 

I liked Old Works too, FWIW, but I didn't play them on the same trip. 

Carl Johnson

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 05:44:08 PM »
Based on my visits about five to seven years ago - There is an absolutely awful 9-hole course at Glacier Park Lodge in Glacier National Park in the U.S.  On the other hand, in Canada's Waterton Lakes National Park, which borders our U.S. Glacier National Park, there is a very nice little 18 hole course.  http://golfwaterton.com/  It's the only course I can recall on which I have had to hold up my play until a mama bear (black, not a grizzly) and her two cubs crossed the fairway in front of us.  Played Jasper on the same trip - enjoyable, and they have a lot of fencing to keep wildlife off the course.  Saw Banff, looked nice, but did not play it.  Jasper and Banff are Thompson, while Waterton Lakes GC claims to be "inspired by" Thompson (whatever than means, it is not up to a Thompson course, but still worth playing).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 05:51:44 PM by Carl Johnson »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 08:01:18 PM »
Tom Doak made his ND trip for upcoming CG, and declared that Bully Pulpit was a surprise and the best of the lot. I have the Links of ND a little higher as it is completely walkable. With solid holes to replace the three cartball holes, I would put Bully Pulpit on top.

I agree that the course at Glacier Park is awful.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

William_G

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 10:17:29 PM »

2013 deja vu

I have not played Wawona
It's all about the golf!

John Cowden

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 10:37:05 PM »
What a handsome family, Bill G.  Go Ducks!

My wife and I climbed Half Dome for my 50th.  Wow!  Talk about a workout!  Grilled cheese sammies and milkshakes in
bed at the Awanhee when we finally got home, sunrise to sunset.   We thought about doing it again for my 60th.   A week at Bandon was a better idea. 

William_G

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 11:00:12 PM »
What a handsome family, Bill G.  Go Ducks!

My wife and I climbed Half Dome for my 50th.  Wow!  Talk about a workout!  Grilled cheese sammies and milkshakes in
bed at the Awanhee when we finally got home, sunrise to sunset.   We thought about doing it again for my 60th.   A week at Bandon was a better idea.  

Holy Sh.t!

that cable climb up Half Dome is not for the faint of anything, congrats!

love the Awanhee, great spot

important trivia: Yosemite is the "first" National Park and the Yosemite Valley is but a small part of the land there
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 11:02:43 PM by William_G »
It's all about the golf!

John Cowden

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 11:44:06 PM »
Fantasy pairings, less the golf than the meeting:  Tom Morris and Ansel Adams. Or John Muir.  Where would they enjoy lunch, and where would they play?   Old World Masters, they are.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 12:56:30 AM »
What a handsome family, Bill G.  Go Ducks!

My wife and I climbed Half Dome for my 50th.  Wow!  Talk about a workout!  Grilled cheese sammies and milkshakes in
bed at the Awanhee when we finally got home, sunrise to sunset.   We thought about doing it again for my 60th.   A week at Bandon was a better idea.  

Holy Sh.t!

that cable climb up Half Dome is not for the faint of anything, congrats!

love the Awanhee, great spot

important trivia: Yosemite is the "first" National Park and the Yosemite Valley is but a small part of the land there

Hey DUCK! Did you read Ian Andrews thread about posting facts not hearsay? The first national park's name does start with a Y, but it ain't Yosemite.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

William_G

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 01:46:21 AM »
Yosemite was protected in 1864
Yellowstone was 1872

trivia

You been there GJ?
It's all about the golf!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 08:00:22 AM »
Don't forget Cape Breton Highlands National Park, which contains quite the golf course!
http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ns/cbreton/visit.aspx

Josh Bills

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 08:03:18 AM »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 10:46:16 AM »
Yosemite was protected in 1864
Yellowstone was 1872

trivia

You been there GJ?

There is a bit of a difference between "protected" and "national park".

I've been to both.

Interestingly Ian's thread on being factual has disappeared.

Are you responsible for that?

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 12:53:20 PM »
Love national parks.  And love golf.  For the combo, Canada wins hands-down!

Regarding Yellowstone and Yosemite (been watching Ken Burns' fantastic series on Netflix lately)...

Yellowstone was indeed the country's first national park, so designated on 3/1/1872
Yosemite became a national park on 10/1/1890 (though Yosemite State Park was established on 6/30/1864 and incorporated into the national park in the early 1900s).

William_G

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 01:39:36 PM »
LOL GJ

Tom, they are celebrating 150 years of the park's existence right now...so hard to say

Dan, Love the golf pic, there are stories about how the park was promoted by many means to everyone as it was so "out west"

fun stuff

8)
It's all about the golf!

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 01:59:29 PM »
LOL GJ

Tom, they are celebrating 150 years of the park's existence right now...so hard to say

Dan, Love the golf pic, there are stories about how the park was promoted by many means to everyone as it was so "out west"

fun stuff

8)

Absolutely NOT trying to belabor the point.  But the 150 year anniversary would mark the establishment of the state park.  The date it received National Park designation is unequivocal:  10/1/1890.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back